1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcement Social media

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 4 May 2018.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have only seen once instance of a "disrupted" website due to PiHole, it was a website my daughter uses to download Sims 4 stuff, the download was restricted to a snail's pace. I haven't seen anything else be affected but YMMV depending on your requirements. However, you can always whitelist sites or domains if you need to.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Thanks Fingers66.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Fingers66 helpful with a PiHole.

Yes. Yes I am giggling like a child. I have no regrets.

B1GBUD, MLyons and Fingers66 like this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I use PiHole too, but it does nowt when you're using mobile data or otherwise away from your home network; DNS66 works everywhere and anywhere.
    Yeah, like that.

B1GBUD likes this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Nothing like not having an ad-blocker to remind you why ad-blockers are a thing.

...some sites are a raging garbage fire of bad design decisions even without the ads making things worse *cough*Forbes*cough*

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But of course you don’t use them on bit-tech right... :blah:

7. RedFlames

At present, no... first sign of taboola, outbrain or similar and you go on the naughty list again...

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

?. We've also stepped up the quality of our ads recently.

9. RedFlames

This ****... Taboola and Outbrain are the main 2 servers of it...

Even a whiff of it and a site goes on my block list and doesn't come off again...

[​IMG]

Tbh even with adblock off the ads on the site forums are unintrusive enough that they typically go ignored [not what your advertisers want to hear but... that's their problem].

10. MLyons

NEVER NEVER NEVER in a million years do I see this even being suggested and If it does I'll be 100% against it. I've noticed I think Toms hardware doing it now which is a shame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ As long as I get payed. That's not my department even if I do give them suggestions but they are stuck in their ways on how to make ads.

11. RedFlames

IIRC it or something like it was a, thankfully shortlived, thing back when it was under the Dennis umbrella. Skimlinks also happened at one point too. **** like that are why adblockers exist in the first place.

EDIT: While i have your attention - your youtube videos could do with proper subtitles/captioning. YT's autogenerated ones are ok but proper ones would be much appreciated.

12. MLyons

100% agree. I've argued against skim links on another site but unfortunately the argument "it pays the bills" is pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    I'll mention it but knowing my luck I'll be the jackass that get's asked to go through all of them. Why do you feel the videos need them?

13. RedFlames

Accessibility, best practice, good karma, and not everyone has working headphones/sound :p... as someone recoving from an ear infection/problem i'm sure you can relate to/emapthise with the last one.

14. MLyons

Ya got me there. I'll see if they give me time to do it. If not I'll try do it while I'm working on the secret project over lunch.

RedFlames likes this.
  15. RedFlames

If not you should be able to open them up to community contributions [or w/e it's called again] and someone from the community [like me] can add them.

...I tried to submit captions, and it wouldn't let me, which is how i know you have the setting turned off.

16. MLyons

I vaguely remembered something like this but wasn't sure and honestly cba to google for it atm. Will look into it tomorrow (I mean today at this point) and get back to you. :thumb:

17. RedFlames

IIRC you'd still need to approve any sumbitted captions... else i could have it say that @Maki role [i'm assuming he's the one who does the videos] farts in your general direction, likes big butts and cannot lie ;)

18. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

They put them on the forums as well as the site. Pretty much all of the active members publicly stated they had enabled adblocker and would leave forums and sites. Almost every thread had the tags “say no to skim links” added.

I’d be less upset if you did it on the main website but I view the forums as user generated content and I don’t want my content to be used for something so insidious. It makes it look like I’m recommending whatever shite is being peddled.

I’d look up a grease monkey script to edit and blank every single post I’d done if they came back to the forums.

19. MLyons

Hang on a second. They did it to the forums aswell??? :jawdrop:

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. It did *not* go down well. There used to be a wordcloud of popular tags on the old forum, and for years afterwards the biggest was "SAY NO TO SKIMLINKS." (There were also some amusing variants, like "SAY YES TO SKIMMED MILK.")

B1GBUD likes this.