1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows The Expanse

Discussion in 'General' started by Nexxo, 25 Mar 2018.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I have showbox on the PC and phone ;) No spoilers

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

No word on a "proper" UK release date :wallbash:. I thought the days of delayed release dates for different regions were long gone. It's this kind of sh-- that pushes people to piracy; not because they're freeloading thieves who don't want to pay, but because large corporations go out of their way to put barriers in the way of paying customers.

3. legoman

It is annoying the way they have done it. The "delay" getting it to a UK network is daft.

That said watched Episode 2 last night can see lots of things being setup for later in the season though seems to be a lot of waffle first 3/4's of the episode with the last 1/4 being action spam.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I am enjoying every moment of it so far :thumb:

5. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

i loved the expanse and got peed off waiting for the season 2 release, must motivate myself to watch season 2

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Are you absolutely f****ng kidding me? http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/a856874/the-expanse-syfy-cancelled-season-3/

I should know better than to trust siffy with original science fiction programming; it's not like the channel that once called itself both "The Sci-Fi Channel" and "Sci-Fi" doesn't have a track record when it comes to cancelling their original science fiction shows. (I absolutely refuse to refer to it by its re-branded name - it'll always be "siffy" to me now.)

The production company is apparently looking for a new home; here's hoping Netflix saves the day.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's got the same problem every sci-fi show has, sets heavy, props heavy, effects heavy. The Expanse is helped even less by being based on books with loads and loads characters and an anyone can die ethos that would make George RR Martin proud.

I hope someone picks it up, with Game of Thrones having a series-ish left to go I would have thought HBO would be banging the door down to get a new grim violent epic series to replace it, one that comes with a pre-installed fan base.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Siffy way [in my experience]:

Make a series
    First season is a success
    Dick around with second season [usually] - typically the scheduling and/or mahoosive mid-season breaks
    Complain that viewerships has tanked
    Cancel series.

Byron C likes this.
  9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That makes me think Amazon or Netflix might go for it - something with a fan base in dire need of someone to throw a chunk of money at.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I imagine that there's a decent chance that Netflix will pick it up. It's not network-funded so with any luck the company that make and fund it will find another network or provider to take it up.

Now, let's be careful to avoid spoilers here, but having watched the first two seasons and read all of the books so far, this just isn't true at all, is it?

11. fix-the-spade

I will concede that the Rocinante is outfitted with better quality plot armour than can be forged in Westeros. Everyone not on that one little ship though?

Last edited: 11 May 2018
  12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Luck... protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Rocinante

Sajuuk likes this.
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I still don't think the mortality rate amongst supporting characters (e.g. those not on board the Roci) is notably higher than any other series. Sure, there are a lot of characters, and that means that there are a lot of deaths, but I've never read the Expanse novels and thought "Jeez, these writers are just brutal in their willingness to kill off anyone and everyone". I mean, given the timescales involved in the books, you'd expect a pretty decent number of deaths, wouldn't you? :D

You drew the comparison with GoT but they aren't in the same league in terms of lethality, imho.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So i missed this announcement but its been confirmed that Amazon Prime is picking it up for season four, I'm so happy. :D

David and legoman like this.
  15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Just started watching this, and only at S1E6, but damn this is sooo good so far. :)

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is the best damn sci-fi show I have seen in a looooong time.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  17. legoman

Remember Eros, and the nuke on Earth, pretty certain the latter trumps the number of dead in all GoT series so far :grin:

18. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Not to mention they wipe out half of earths population in book 5 and couple more stations in book 7

Wonder how they will tackle next season/book. Hope they wont continue the Abaddon's gate trend of compressing book into half a season, maybe Amazon's budget help with that.

19. legoman

Forgot about that haha, a minor issue. I would prefer if it was a book per season theres lots of bits where the plot feels disjointed or too hurried.

20. fix-the-spade

I think imminent cancellation may have been what motivated them to compress the plot.

I've really liked some of the departures from the books for this season, in particular Ashford and Drummer, with the series being at the point I feel the books fall off the rails a bit I wouldn't mind seeing them depart a bit more if thy can keep the writing compelling.