1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Memory foam mattresses (Simba, Otty etc)

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 11 May 2018.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Anyone got one able to offer an impartial review?

The amount of really good reviews they seem to get online makes me think somethings not quite right.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I'm curious too, actually. The one I keep seeing is the Eve mattress. But you can search for "mattress 100 night trial" and any number come up.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes, it was the best thing I ever did for my back and hips. Some complain they are too warm in summer but I rarely even get under the covers so it doesn't bother me at all. It really is amazing, so long as you get a good one (10" min with at least 3" memory foam). Since then I have had nothing else. I hate sleeping on any spring bed now because I can feel every one of them.

Archtronics likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Only ever tried the pillows but found them way too hot for me, too hot to try in mattress form. Had to ditch it.

It is a bugger finding a good regular mattress that is firm enough. Our superkingsize has been the best, partly I think because we can distribute our weight better :)

Archtronics likes this.
  5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

My Grandparents love theirs, as far as durability goes they don't seem any different to a normal spring mattress.

What they are however is fantastic insulators, I had one briefly and it's rather like trying to sleep in a nuclear reactor.

Archtronics likes this.
  6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Have a king size Eve... one thing you must do is rotate it (not flip) if you are over an average weight. 18 months in and there is a sag where I didn't rotate every 30 days as recommended. However, Eve are being awesome about it with a ten year warranty and it looks like they are swapping it and, i must say, I haven't had any issues with it otherwise...
    Also, if you use my link, you get £100 off (and I get a £50 Amazon voucher)... I won't post the link here as I don't want to be a chancer but if you are interested and you go the Eve route, do let me know in a message and I'll link it to you!

Archtronics likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I bought a cheap memory foam mattress about a decade ago - it's normal foam with a layer of memory foam on top - and it's been absolutely fantastic. Way better than the spring mattress it replaced.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I find memory foam far too hot to be comfortable, similar to @adidan .

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

We had a memory foam mattress a while back I was always uncomfortably hot and absolutely hated it! I would definitely take one of the trials to make sure you like it, but for me, there's absolutely no comparison against a proper sprung mattress. I ended up buying from Hypnos and whilst it was very pricey I've never regretted it!

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Lots of people hate memory foam mattresses, but that's like hating "spring" mattresses, every brand is different and even then most have different density foams and layer configurations.

We bought a Simba about 6 months ago, largely because most of the complaints were that it's too firm and most reviews say it's much firmer than the eve...I like a firm mattress and the Simba is good, still a little soft for me...it does have a bit of roll together, but is very cool.

It's also box sprung which I think means it'll last a lot longer than the memory foam only jobbies.

Don't forget cashback and vouchers!

Also a solid base is always far better, if your base is slatted just do it yourself with some board :)

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Had a couple of foam topped swanky expensive mattresses.

Both made me sweat like no tomorrow. Awful.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I cheaped out and got one from Ikea when I changed bed frame last. It's firm, but very comfy.

BTW @Gareth Halfacree - ISTR you're supposed to replace a mattress every 7-8 years or so.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's "supposed to" and "do": as far as I can tell, there's nowt wrong with my existing mattress, so I ain't planning to replace it any time soon. Every now and again I take the cover off and give it a wash, and aside from the foam starting to degrade so it pills a bit underneath everything's still lovely and comfy.

Got to get my money's worth!

14. Vault-Tec

FWIW I have only bought from Hypnia. They used to be really cheap (£70 for a 10" single and around £200 for a king size 10") but recently they've gone up their own bottom a little and now they are very expensive. Shame, as I must have sold about 20 by word of mouth (my mother has a queen. In fact there isn't a single non hypnia bed in the house haha) but yeah very expensive now.

Oh yeah, RE durability. The single I have at my mother's got a solid 5 years use then weekend use and is still going strong 9 years after I bought it and my king sized I have at the flat is 6 years old now with no signs of wearing out or indents. In fact I think I have only ever rotated it about three times as it's a bit heavy and hurts my back.

The only thing I do not like about ownership is when you have to clean the cover. It shrinks, and it's a complete Btard to get back on. Like, to the point where you are totally expecting it to rip. And that is a 2 person job. There is no way you will be able to do that alone.

15. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Pussies, the lot of ya

[​IMG]

Mr_Mistoffelees and Vault-Tec like this.
  16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think this summer I'm going to order the coolest looking/sounding memory foam mattress from one the big companies that give you an extended free trial/no quibble returns.

I'm worried about it being too warm (like quite a few above mention), so that should be an opportunity to give it good real world test: If it is too warm it can go back without it costing me anything and then I can look at other options.

17. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I had a decent, supposedly firm, all-foam mattress for about a year, but wanted to get rid after just a few months. It was incredibly hot, worst in summer when you are lying on top of the sheets and still boiling, even in moderate external temps. Within a year, the loss of shape was too pronounced to ignore. We rotated throughout, but it made little difference... and the problem when you have a permanent dip to lie in is that you soon can't lie anywhere else - what ever your preferred position of the moment, you'll gradually be forced back into your perma-rut.

So I bought a decent-ish sprung mattress - firm as is preferred in our house - and considered buying just a 1" topper, but in the end never bothered.

18. Vault-Tec

It shouldn't be like that at all. At my heaviest I was 18st, and my wife was up to 17 at one point and my mattress is as good as new. We were together 5 years, and slept in it every night. No shape issues at all. Remember, just like everything else there is cheap foam and expensive foam. Good foam? costs a fortune. I remember when my cousin bought the foam to remake the seats in his old VW and it cost him the best part of £200. For foam. And that was the early 90s.

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Personally use a normal mattress with a memory foam topper followed by a feather topper. Absolute bliss. .Sounds like something we should review @Dogbert666 ... Surely we can find a tech related one.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The Bedjet has bluetooth so qualifies as 'tech'. I'm a big fan of mine, barring the awkwardness of moving the hose when changing the bedsheet.