1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Microcontroller, technically speaking - which is what would be in any other keyboard I attach to the system, too. (Not the same microcontroller, I'll grant you, but *a* microcontroller.)

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The Arduino can boot an OS, and even run DOS under x86 emulation (albeit painfully slowly). Though I suppose there is no native Doom port for the Atmel-based Arduinos, so technically it's not a real computer until then.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, it can, but we still make the distinction between "microcontroller" and "microprocessor" - even if a microcontroller processes and is Turing-complete. I don't call my washing machine a computer, and its microcontroller is at least as complex as an Arduino Leonardo (though nobody's ported DOS to it yet, to my knowledge.)

Likewise, every USB-connected keyboard I've got 'ere has a microcontroller in it - but, again, I don't call 'em computers.

EDIT:
    This is going to be easier than I thought: pick up this four-key switch tester for £8, file a few small grooves into the bottom for five wires (one per switch plus a common ground), run wires to the Arduino Leonardo, program it to have Alt. Gr, F11, F12, and maybe a dedicated Print Screen key, write on each keycap with a Sharpie, place now-functional four-key keypad on the shelf of the Model F. Job dun.

Heck, stick four rubber feet at each corner to lift it a bit and I wouldn't even have to cut the grooves - just hot-glue the wires into place.

Last edited: 31 May 2018
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If I remember correctly.... The distinction between microcontroller and a computer processor is that a computer processor needs external devices for storage and working memory, whereas a microcontroller typically has its storage and working memory integrated into the same IC. CPU cache memory doesn't strictly count as "working memory" as it's an extension of the main working memory (aka RAM); a PC CPU couldn't rely on its cache alone to function, whereas a microcontroller could make use of external working memory (assuming the microcontroller in question supports external working memory) but doesn't require external memory to function.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A washing machine? No. But Thermostats, video doorphones, calculators, inkjet printers and compact MP3 players are all confirmed to be computers (I could swear I remember seeing it ported to a fridge, but I can't find that one at the moment).

6. Gareth Halfacree

7. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

why Doom? Surely Crysis is the ,.....errr... benchmark of "can it run"'s

8. Gareth Halfacree

Nup. Doom is the canonical benchmark. If it can run Doom, it's a computer. If it can't run Doom, you're probably not trying hard enough.

Zak33 likes this.
  9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

There are 2 type of device... Those that can run doom and those on which it hasn't been attempted.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Which is why we have things like Doom for the Commodore 64.

Well, the SuperCPU when connected to the Commodore 64, anyway...

11. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Hi guys, looking into the idea of making myself a rgb backlit mx mech board as a hobby project.. Seen a few websites recommending certain online retailers for parts, but not sure which parts would work with which! Controllers and tinker boards aren't my strong point.. So I see them and they pretty much seem the same, but I'm guessing each have different functionality. Could anyone help me in my venture?

(Not sure if this should be a separate thread, let me know if that'd be best!)

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I cant believe this thread full of knowledge slipped to page 3. I need some advice from you fine chaps.

I have one of these:
    [​IMG]

Its a ISO Pok3r 60% keyboard I will use for travel. The ESC keycap has broken (key stem is fine) so I am after a replacement set of keycaps, with the additional layer and function information present as on the original OEM.

Does anyone know if they exist, what the search term I need to find this?

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You could just get a funky Esc keycap and save yourself the expense.

I probably have a few kicking around - I'll see if I can dig them out tonight, if you want?

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

That would be great, thanks.

15. Gareth Halfacree

One of my boards has an Escape key from an Amstrad CPC-464 that was scrapped. Needed the hole on the underside filing out a bit, but after that it fits perfectly on a Cherry MX stem!

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Ooops...

[​IMG]

Yaka and Vault-Tec like this.
  17. David

Don't you mean "ouch" ?

Dem's not cheap

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've had my RGB MasterKeys for around 8 months now and couldn't be happier. MX Blues are pretty loud but much kinder to my fingers in the long term than the Greens were, and I really like the purple caps on the arrows and WASD.

I can definitely see myself picking up either a TKL or 60% for work. Them SP crap bags... those were the days eh?

19. David

Don't knock the SP bags, I chucked my bag of caps on ebay and two nutters got into a bidding war for them. :D

LennyRhys likes this.
  20. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

If anyone is looking for a small update to an ISO set (Cherry profile not OEM), kbdfans have a group buy running on enjoypbt set however, unusually, they are offering the ISO enter keys and space bar sets seperately.....

https://kbdfans.cn/collections/enjo...-grayscale-keycaps-set?variant=21656923701296

Priced really well at the moment although you have to include $5 shipping. Trying to get either can be pretty hard and having just received my enjoyPBT BoW set from the same supplier the group buy was well run and clearly communicated. EnjoyPBT are now my go to caps anyway so its worth a look.