1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade path for CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perplekks45, 3 Jun 2018.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Currently I'm running the following setup and things are, as one would expect, very smooth. I use my PC for gaming, some more gaming and then some gaming. Mainly Quake Champions, Hellblade, some Wolcen, some Prey, some Doom 2016. GPU-wise I'm as future-proof as I can be (unless one looks at Titans, which I just avoid), but the CPU is the one big area where I see a (relative) lot of potential to upgrade.

CPU: i7 3770K @ 4 GHz all core
    Cooler: Corsair H80i
    MB: ASROCK Z77 Extreme4
    RAM: 16 GB, matched sticks
    GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Ti
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB (OS drive) + OCZ Vertex Trion 150 480 GB (games)
    HDD: 2 x WD Green 2 TB

I am currently contemplating upgrading my CPU and have access to the following options for the same price of 650 Euros.

1. Intel: i7 8700K + MSI Z370-A Pro + 16 GB HyperX Fury 2666 Mhz
    2. AMD: Ryzen 2700X + ASUS Prime X470-Pro + 16 GB RipJaws V 3200 Mhz
    I don't really need the upgrade right now, but I have the cash and the cost is okay. Initially I thought I'd hold back until Intel's next-gen CPUs for hardware-level Spectre fixes, but seeing this won't happen made me make a call or two and thus I have found the options above.

Any comments or recommendations? I'm still on the fence about which route to take and about doing it at all.

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

As it's almost entirely for gaming, you are better off going with the Intel set up.
    However, I'm not sure you'll see much improvement on FPS from the 3770K. It's still a solid gaming CPU.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

^ this

I compared my 3770 performance vs the current offerings and there's not really a cost/benefit at all at the moment tbh.

I spent my cpu/board/ram money on a 1440p monitor and gpu - great gpu, not sure what res you're on, presumably not 1080p with a Ti.

4. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Boys have made solid calls on that 3770k for gaming. Although i understand the upgrade itch!!

If it were me ... and you went for it You could ebay your old stuff .. I reckon £100 - £120 for the board , £90 for the RAM and another £90 for the CPU. Which is a very decent return and would seriously offset the cost of an upgrade. But seeing is how you game mostly Id opt for the X470 & a R5 2600 with the 3200 RAM. I reckon you would only be forking out around the £200 for the upgrade with the offset of selling the other stuff.

My 2 cents.

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Spanky makes a good point. Ivy Bridge kit still has good 2nd hand value.

6. perplekks45

Thank you very much for the replies so far.

@adidan I game on a 1080p, 144 Hz, GSync-enabled Acer Predator 24" monitor. Reason being the aforementioned Quake Champions and the urge to run it at 144 fps all the time, preferably with all the bells and whistles. Plus I use DSR quite a bit on games with reserves, which are, let's be honest here, almost all of them when you're running a 1080 Ti.

@Spanky How much of a real upgrade performance-wise would the 2600 be, though? I mean, I recon I could get my bottom 1% frames up a bit and frame times more consistent, but ... y'know?

Now that I have the idea in my mind to maybe sell off the old equipment, especially since they wouldn't be too much of an upgrade for my girlfriend's computer (i5 4590K on a ASROCK Z97 Anniversary), I might just have to start looking at ebay all week to gather more information.

7. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

@Spanky How much of a real upgrade performance-wise would the 2600 be, though? I mean, I recon I could get my bottom 1% frames up a bit and frame times more consistent, but ... y'know?

Now that I have the idea in my mind to maybe sell off the old equipment, especially since they wouldn't be too much of an upgrade for my girlfriend's computer (i5 4590K on a ASROCK Z97 Anniversary), I might just have to start looking at ebay all week to gather more information.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea about min FPS. But if its newer tech then common sense says its going to be better .... right? Like i said if you hell bent on an upgrade then that would be the route id take personally. DOnt make me an expert :D

8. perplekks45

I never expect anything but perfect expertise on bit-tech. That's why I'm still here after 14 years.

14 years? Damn...

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I went from i7-2600 to i7-4790k without changing GPU. It got me an updated platform and extra SATA ports. But it didn’t appreciably increase FPS. Although I didn’t actually monitor the FPS counter so I dunno.

What you will find going to the 8700k though is you can run more threads and therefore more tasks at the same time. So if you’re a streamer, or you have multiple monitors and you want desktop tasks like Discord, Twitch, Netflix on a second screen, you should notice it’ll detract less from your gaming performance than it does today.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Due to the op using a low res screen the CPU will be relevant.

The i5-8600K (oc'd) will be by far the best choice.
    The i7-8700k offers nowhere near enough of an advantage to justify its price.
    And the 2xxx Ryzen chips are too expensive compared to the i5-8600k as well.

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I knew I shouldn't have responded to this thread.

Everytime I say new kit may not be worth it cost wise for what's needed (as in my case) all I can then think about is upgrading my kit... :confused: :D

12. perplekks45

I'm sorry? :p

adidan likes this.
  13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I would recommend not doing it. I've done so many upgrades so many times, and I eventually grew to regret the cycle. I decided last year to do a big upgrade to my CPU, mobo and RAM, and I'm very glad with my choice and plan to keep it for a few years yet. I even downgraded already because 32GB DDR4 was overkill for my needs. Graphics cards... different story! :D

If you simply can't shake the idea, then I'd second what Anfield suggests...8600K and some fast DDR4.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'd put money into mouse, keyboard, desk, chair, monitor (why not 1440p at 144hz? :p).

Also OC your current cpu more and see if you notice an improvement/

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you do intend to upgrade, wait a couple of days (anniversary is 8th June) to see if the rumoured 8086k pops up; that may add some "must be fastest!" price pressure on the 8700k in the used market as a pile of them get unloaded en masse.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd actually suggest waiting until the end of Computex becau...
    *DevDoge get's pulled into the back of a van with a mask over his head

Last edited: 4 Jun 2018
  17. perplekks45

I see there might be reason to wait for a few days...

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The performance of the Intel 8086 coming at Comuptex will be very nice, the price however...

Last edited: 4 Jun 2018
  19. perplekks45

Intel tax?

That 8086, though, might be tasty, if it really gets released and if the specs are what the rumour mill says they will be.

MLyons likes this.
  20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I wouldn't expect Intel's 8-core CPUs (on Socket Hx, that is) to arrive any time soon, the full Coffee Lake lineup only launched a two months ago. That will be a new full-lineup launch with 4xx series chipsets.