1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films HAYULP: Dade 'Crash Override/Zero Cool' Murphy Hackers Costume

Discussion in 'General' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Jun 2018.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, I've been bitten by the desire to dress up as Dade Murphy, alias Crash Override alias Zero Cool, who crashed 1,507 systems including Wall Street trading systems single-handedly causing a four-point drop in the stock market and was forbidden from owning or operating a computer or touch-tone telephone until the day of his 18th birthday, for Halloween this year¹.

Trouble is, finding period-appropriate attire.

For those who haven't seen the cinematic masterpiece that is Hackers, go and see the cinematic masterpiece that is Hackers. I'll wait. It's on Netflix.

For everyone else, I'm basically looking for 90s Quiksilver barbed-wire plaid T-shirts - either something as close to the main outfit from the film as possible (the one on the left, as nice as it would be to look like Angelina Jolie for a bit):

[​IMG]

or similar to one of his other outfits from the film or promotional material:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically, I'm looking for blue-and-black 90s round-neck plaid T-shirts, or that red monstrosity he's wearing in the cast shot.

Failing that, a hunting vest in... what is that, urban-jungle-camo-mashup pattern?

upload_2018-6-15_9-40-13.png

Ideally, I'd also have his motorbike jacket, but there's nowt like on the market. There are companies producing 'replicas' for the sharp end of £100, but they look nothing like screen-accurate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believe me, that one's the best of a bad bunch - hence concentrating on his non-jacket appearances.

Why post all this? 'cos some of you buggers are old enough to be period-appropriate yourselves, and there's every chance you were a fan of Quiksilver back in the day and haven't yet cleared out your wardrobes. Failing that, for those of you who frequent charity shops, please keep your eyes peeled for anything suitable - cash is, naturally, waiting.

Fankoo much!

¹ It's totally not for Halloween at all, I just want to put on some Kruder and Dorfmeister and parade 'round the house shouting HACK THE PLANET.

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Hack the Planet !

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, you're not going with the dress?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

upload_2018-6-15_11-6-17.png

upload_2018-6-15_11-8-10.png

EDIT: Oh, I could also do with a Casio ATC-1100 digital watch, of which the only model I can find for sale doesn't work.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2018
  5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Keep an eye on the ebay motorcycle jacket section for a vintage jacket with the right style of piping, then slap some dye on it to get the colours (it's mostly black which isn't too tricky, the grey shoulder patches may come out a bit tinted depending on the original colour so leather paint may be a petter choice).

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

I was thinking about picking up a plain black leather jacket of roughly the right shape, then seeing if I can't sew on the shoulder, lapel, and elbow bits myself - but I don't reckon I've got the skills for that.

Or there's this:

[​IMG]

It's not an exact match, but it's probably as close as I'm going to find off-the-shelf. Stick some paint on the shoulders and it'd do for a passing glance. Doesn't ship to the UK, though, and I can't find the same design anywhere else.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2018
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Same jacket design, £18 delivered. This one is a bit dearer but has a closer match to the piping (though still doesn't extend as far across the chest). "Padded Leather Jacket" turns up plenty of stuff to sift through, could do the same on AliExpress if you have time to wait for shipping.

8. Gareth Halfacree

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Does this mean you're going to do heroin and turn into Sherlock Holmes?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Probably better than going all Complicity...

11. Gareth Halfacree

Jacket arrived, and with a bit of leather paint I reckon it's going to look as close as I could hope...

...except for one slight problem: there's no way in hell I'm a 40" chest. The thing's too tight to do up, which I can live with, but it also stops around belly-button height. For a minute I thought I was going to have to wait for the missus to get home to help me out of it, too...

Still: for the money, I'll suffer through until something better crops up. Well spotted, @edzieba!