1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve removes in-app purchasing from Steam Link iOS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Certainly some schadenfreude here: Valve themselves not allowing EA to direct-sell DLC for games originally sold through Steam without giving Valve a cut of the DLC sale price was what precipitated the creation of Origin, and is also the reason for bizarre DLC compatibility fragmentation with other games (e.g. Elite: Dangerous, FFXIV). Really hoist by their own petard.

3. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Thats just.. well.. odd! - so apple originally stopped it because I could buy something without their cut!??.. ermm - but you arent actually buying something that can be installed on the IOS device, so its more a portal!?

But I can download apps.. Amazon, Tesco, Wish - buy things through them, and apple still dont get their cut.. huh!!?

Impatience and goldstar0011 like this.
  4. SteeleTheShow

SteeleTheShow What's a Dremel?

Such a silly reason. So instead of buying games in the steam link app, I will switch to the regular Steam app, buy the game and toggle back to the Steam Link app. Apple is just being pedantic at this point.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

As I pointed out in the earlier thread some mobile games have a superior PC version available on Steam, so it could undermine in app purchases of those ios games.

6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Maybe. Apple apparently declined to say WHY Steam Link wasn't approved, so Valve is taking shots in the dark just like we are.

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Typo in article title pal. "purchashing"

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's not a typo, I was just drunk.

(Fixed, ta!)

Tags: Add Tags