1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft credits AI for Windows Update improvements

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Improvements? Not once since Windows 10 have I had a smooth update. It always botches Nvidia's shadowplay and overlay, and the last update botched my wireless which occasionally likes to throw up A BSOD device power state.

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I have been having a bunch of video card related BSODs and game crashes to desktop (namely CS:GO). This is despite installing all win updates, running DDU and re-installing the latest adrenaline drivers. I'm at the point now where I might just reinstall windows to try and prevent any further mid match crashes.

4. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Yeah it really broke shadowplay this time for me as well. The Fall Creators Update broke Bandicam so I switched to Shadowplay... yeah running out of options here. Maybe the idea is break everything so we have to use the built in DVR thing.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Maybe the AI just want to mess with W10 users.

Every other comment I see on W10 seems to be how updates continually bork their setup in one way or another. Is this still the case?

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I haven't had any issues with Windows 10 updates, but I also haven't done any "Ha-HAH, screw you M$!!1!" registry jiggery-pokery, which may have something to do with it.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2018
    iggy likes this.
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

From apersonal perspective - nope... never had any issues.

As for the Shadowplay issues above, your ire should probably directed at nvidia, not MS.

adidan likes this.
  8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

My pc has been failing to update for weeks and weeks now.

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

The brand new dell all in one we use as the family computer threw a fit at the previous major windows update, despite being as 'stock' a machine as they come. Both mine and my daughters accounts were corrupted to the point where the desktop just showed a black screen with a cursor (my wife's account was fine). I managed to fix my daughters account but for mine I had to delete it and start from scratch (this was, by far, the quickest fix).

Last edited: 15 Jun 2018
  10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

YES!!! They love to do it right before home time aswell. "so boss I'll be lea.... oh, windows is forcing an update and needs help getting through it. Not too bad, It's only one mach... THIRTEEN MACHINES!!!!!". Happened to me Wednesday and the rest updated at 6PM last night.

adidan likes this.
  11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Nope, it's definitely the Windows updates. Basically it overwrites the existing drivers with some microsoft certified crap.

You've got to DDU that sucker and reinstall from Nvidia to get shadowplay back.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No it doesn't, it reloads whatever driver was installed at the time of the update. Part of the problem is it reinstalls the driver only, and not the myraid of add-on bollocks nvidia tacks on to it, like shadowplay.

The fact that Shadowplay isn't part of the driver proper and is part of the add-on GFE bollocks which throws a stop after an update... or you look at it funny... or the day ends in Y is down to nvidia, not MS.

I've lost count of how many times GFE [and as a result Shadowplay] has shat itself to death for no conceivable reason.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Top tip for not having GPU driver issues: stay the F$%& away from DDU. Causes a whole host of problems, and solves none.

Using DDU to update a GPU driver is like changing the oil in your car by removing the engine and detaching the sump in order to spray degreaser inside. You're not going to get a 'cleaner oil change', but you are very likely to degrease something that is supposed to remain greased.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Interesting. I've always had a good experience with it when having to build unconventional rigs such as the ones for the mining article we did.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Whenever Windows nags you to update just schedule it for like 48 hours later, that way broken updates have been pulled by the time you actually update.

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Welcome to the new age: Where beta testing never ends and legacy software gets rounded up and shot.
    Also.. :worried: I did a fresh install a while back. I accidentally bumped the F1 key, and it loaded windows explorer to bring up the help index.

17. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

DDU has certainly helped clear up problems with GFX drivers for me in the past but hasn't helped me resolve my game crashes this time. In particular when trying to install AMDs adrenaline drivers the driver install fines (or so AMD claims) but the settings control panel is currently failing to install (though it has previously worked) - probably just need to role back to previous stable drivers.

18. MLyons

AMD graphics drivers are only slightly above shards of glass on the scale of things I want to come into contact with.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I use the open-source AMD drivers these days, and have literally never had a problem. It all just works, and I don't have to fiddle with a thing!

20. MLyons

On windows they're horrific. Half the time they install then when you actually try to do anything they tell you they aren't installed then when you try to uninstall them it does actually fully uninstall you you have to use AMDs clean utility. Upgrading from one driver to another is the worst as the system seems to get confused.

Tags: Add Tags