1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guides How To Make a Suit of Motherboard Armour!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Panos

Panos Minimodder

That is absolutely stunning and inspiring, even if not everyone has a CNC machine :(

I can see appliances like creating the armour plating and then use an acrylic (or PETG?) top with carved channels and sandwich it for a truly custom watercooling system which could also provide cooling on the parts that touch the armour. Having that way a loop without tubing but to only get the water flow from the armour to the block.

Assuming ofc that the loop is using all aluminium components from eg EK Fluid series and no other metals at all.

3. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

love these videos absolutely brilliant to watch and are of a very very high standard.

MLyons and Dogbert666 like this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I love the fact that "motherboard armour" today means "this is a premium product," whereas back in the day - as Commodore users will know all too well - it meant "we failed FCC radiative emissions testing until we threw a metal cover on top."

Cheapskate likes this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I.. Expected something entirely different. I was expecting a suit of human armour made from old motherboards.

6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I mean we do have some kicking around. I'll add it to the list of ideas ;)

MLyons and liratheal like this.
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Panos - I like your mad scientist-ish moment of inspiration there. I think we may have something in common.
    It would be possible. The reason it's probably never been done is that you would have to drain the loop and separate the cover/blocks from the board just to remove the board.
    Mobo armor: But what about all the stabby solder points on the underside?

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Didn't you already post this video?

...and pfft, make some leather armour and then we'll talk.

9. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Actually is not that different idea from what a waterblock is on eg a GPU. No need to do anything to the back side, we leave that as is.
    We still need to open it to clean it up every 7-12 months either way. Also can use a thicker aluminium plating. Like 4mm one.
    Having 2.5mm holes where the acrylic top is screwed to the aluminium plating. (not same holes like the ones attaching the unit to the board).
    Using bigger screws to attach the "motherboard block" on the big standoffs already used to attach the board on.

So on this case if you want to move the whole system, you just drain it as normal from the drain plug attached to the lowest point of the loop.
    Detach the fittings connecting the GPU & CPU blocks to the "motherboard block", remove them, then unscrew the mobo block and no need to separate the it.

Some time ago had a video here how to make your own custom reservoir. Envision is something like that.

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

One's a video and one's in written article format. And who says leather is out of the question? :thumb:

Sounds like a large motherboard monoblock to me. A big issue you get with things like that is clearance, you sort of have to just go over everything on the board to get the effect you're after, also bear in mind you don't want excessive dead spots for flow too.

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yeah, board makers have a nasty habit of filling the space around the southbridge with capacitors. I didn't monoblock the north and south on GG because there was a capacitor right in the PCI / memory choke point.
    Not poo-poo ing your ideas, Panos. Just addressing issues with doing it. Honestly, It would be easier to reverse the mounting so you screwed the mobo+block into the tray from the back. Having the extra flex of the mobo would be important when separating the block, and it would be murder to pull a TIMmy chipset block off a fixed and rigid board.

12. zak

zak Build Clean people, build clean

You could go full on 100% coverage like I did in my build. All the way around the CPU blocks. Its been a month now, temps are fine on all VRMs.

Tags: Add Tags