1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So it's been about two weeks now. I came home and put on some PJ shorts I have and they keep falling down every time I walk down the hallway. Like literally falling down.

B1GBUD likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

I used to be kinda lucky really. If I ate one tea spoonful too much my bowels would go into panic and I would immediately cramp up and have to find a toilet QUICK. This was the most prevalent in the USA for some reason. Maybe bigger portions? maybe crap they put in food? IDK. But it used to happen literally every time we ate out, and usually in the car on the way home. The worst of these times was when we were out at Crackerbarrel? something like that. I stuffed my face full of cajun catfish and we were in the car coming home (my ex, myself and her cousin). Any way, we got over the DE memorial bridge and it started. The mad sweating, the pain, cramps. It was literally like some one was taking a sharp blade and stabbing me up my arse. So horrible. We got to about 400m from the house and I just couldn't hold it any longer. I instructed my ex to stop the car and ran for the nearest corn field. So I pull down my strides and get into a straight squat (I didn't have time to make sure my trousers were clear) and just go. It started out normal, then there was this huge pop and a huge wet fart came out, along with about a gallon of poo. What made it worse was it was July 4th, and the people who owned the farm (whose field I was dropping my tummy in) started letting off fireworks. So there I am, hands on knees, in some sort of yoga position standing over a pile of wet slop. It felt like forever for my wife to come back with the TP lmao. But yeah, every time the fireworks lit up the sky I was terrified some one would spot me standing there, pants around my ankles.

I became a lot more careful about portion size over that. But I gotta admit, I kinda miss it. Mostly because like I said, if I was a pig and ate one single teaspoon full too much I would just crap myself. That is probably why, until I started taking Pregabalin, I never EVER weighed more than 13.5st.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dropped off the wagon during my week on holiday, but I'm back on track now (well, bar a cheeky session of face-stuffing with a pain au chocolat and a little chocolate cake thing last night, but shhh):

Previous reading:
    94.4kg, 29.1 BMI, 25.4% fat, 37.9% muscle

Current reading:
    91.0kg, 28.0 BMI, 23.8% fat, 38.7% muscle. Progress!

MLyons and goldstar0011 like this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You'll be sliding under doors soon, unlike me...

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got a long way to go before I have to worry about that, I think!

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Slowly been shrinking, new scales have helped massively

May weight 88.45Kg

Sunday Weight 84.0Kg BMI 26.8 Fat 24.0% Muscle mass 60.7Kg (crap maths but just under 51% muscle? :eyebrow: dafuq)

Slimmed down slightly down a waist size in trousers but still need a 36in trouser for silly quads.

Resting heart rate is down to mid 50's too, I can drop it to the high 40's laying down with breathing exercises though.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You can drop it to 0 if you stop breathing at all. :D
    Just joking. Congratulations @legoman ! Keep it up! :)

MLyons likes this.
  8. legoman

Cut off arm at the elbow, leave the fitbit on severed arm, pulse drops also you loose a nice chunk of weight, win win right?

An thanks I think the maths for muscle mass is bugged but cycling means im all legs an shoulders I guess.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I've lost 8-10lb since starting my new job. It's amazing what half an hour extra walking a day will do. That and working in the middle of nowhere, not near 3 greggs, 2 McDonald's, a burger king, KFC and myriad of other eating establishments.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm counting on this. I'm currently living in a place where we've got Deliveroo, Foodora, UberEATS and Thuisbezorgd. Get home 30 minutes later than usual, it's easy to fall into temptation. In the US however, I'll be living in a tiny town called Kennett Square. None of that temptation stuff anywhere near us.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I’m back to the 20lbs lost, as I had fallen to 15lbs for a while. The temptation for delicious food is too great sometimes.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Fell off the wagon. Again. Not sure how bad the damage is, but my trousers definitely aren't as comfortable as they once were.

So, back on the calorie-counting app, plus I've bought a stepper machine I can use with my desk in the standing position for a bit of low-impact exercise while I work. I've also picked up some konjac noodles and a massive tub of high-protein meal replacement shake, just to give me a little head-start.

Fingers crossed I can actually stick at it this time!

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Figured it's still health/fitness related so may as well post here.
    Currently trying to gain a bit of weight, slow progress, trying to avoid just shoving doughnuts into my face etc.
    Hoping to gain another 1-2kg a month for the next couple of months to try and fill out my weightclass for my first powerlifting competition in December.

Also Gareth, tried simple things like multiple daily walks? As others have said, walking an extra 30-60mins a day can make a big difference depending on your baseline. Either a 5min walk every hour of work type thing, or a 10-15min walk after every meal, might help with digestion as well which is no bad thing :)

14. Gareth Halfacree

Trouble is, I'm *super* busy - my workday typically runs from 0700-1900 each day, and by the time the kids are in bed I'm too knackered to do anything - and even while I'm eating lunch I'll be browsing the feeds for research. Hence the stepper: I can 'walk' but still work. I know it's not as good as actual walking, 'cos I'm not getting fresh air and sunlight at the same time, but it's better than sitting on my arse like I do at the moment.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Don't put any stock into the BMI scale and readings. If you're a man or woman of average size and build, it'll work for you. If you're taller/shorter/broader/petite/athletic/muscular, it just simply does not work. We've completely dropped it as a bio-metric measurement. Our PTIs, according to the BMI scale, are clinically obese. Its utter garbage.

Take your weight and measurements regularly and remember that as you replace fat stores with muscle mass, your weight loss is likely to stall and your weight may even increase, which is why measuring your body is just as important as stepping on the scales.

Corky42 likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

I've a cheap set of Bluetooth scales which zap your feet with electrickery and try to work out your body composition. It's mostly guesswork in the guise of science, but from past experience it does seem to show my fat percentage and muscle percentage altering as you'd expect when I'm dieting so it should provide a reasonable way to track rough progress.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  17. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Absolutely. The body composition scales are a great way to keep track of your progress. Even if the calibration is a little bit off the medical grade equipment, as long as you keep using them, you can at least see the changes. Keep up the work Gareth and remember that when progress seems to slow, it's the smallest of changes to diet and routine that can make the biggest of differences. Don't go bananas with the protein shakes though, unless you're bulking or looking to build muscle. If it's purely weight loss/healthy lifestyle, you can get all the protein you need from regular balanced diets.

18. legoman

I get where your coming from on this, my work is slightly shorter hours but moving from your desk is frowned upon my fitbit picks up as only around 1500 steps in a day if I do the usual no lunch break routine. I generally force myself to take a lunch break away from my desk and drive to (haha) a local lake which is a good 40 minute walk to get round.

Wagon wise I've bailed and barrel rolled and gone back up in weight to 85.7kg not much but, my muscle mass has dropped off so its a bigger loss down to 59.1kg from 60.7Kg.. Its probably all in m head but I feel more uncomfortable and slower.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, I'm just planning to use 'em as a breakfast replacement - and probably not every day, either - rather than something to chug so I can get swole. I'll be aiming for my usual 50:30:20 carbs:fat:protein calorie split, just 'cos it's the default in MyFitnessPal and who am I to argue with that?
    Back when I used to have a fitness tracker, I'd end each day well under 1,000 steps - often under 500, even. My commute is literally two flights of stairs!

Last edited: 20 Sep 2018
  20. Vault-Tec

I've put a little back on but nothing to be alarmed about. Had a severe bout of depression about 6 weeks ago that laid me up for a month.

Off out tonight to Skaterham which just so happens to be in Caterham but it's pro only so I won't be riding.