1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One VR, AR plans officially dropped

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

MLyons likes this.
  3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I wouldn't call it a "breakout" - I still don't know anyone who actually owns one. I actually know more people who regularly use their Switch as a portable console than I do people who have even dabbled in Oculus/Vive/PS VR!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I absolutely would. Pre-Oculus VR: nobody had cared about virtual reality since Lawnmower Man 2. Post-Oculus VR: Shitposter McGee's off into the sunset with all the billions from Facebook, HTC's found a way to shore up its loss-making smartphone division, Sony's leapt in with both feet, and even Microsoft's having a go.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I hope Sony push on as there has been some really good PS VR experiences and I really want a better quality headset on PS5.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I guess it depends how you define "break out success". Quite a lot of people bought 3D TVs a few years ago and all the major manufacturers made them in large numbers and made a lot of money...
    Maybe it is technically a "breakout" but it's too way too early to tell whether it is a "success". It isn't close to the level of ubiquity required to avoid the possibility of fading away again.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm using the term as defined by Oxford DIctionaries: 'suddenly and extremely popular or successful.' Oculus VR's success - and note here I'm talking about Oculus VR the company, not Oculus Rift the product - was sudden and extreme. The company went from nothing to the Facebook acquisition in no time flat, all on the back of the popularity of its crowdfunded developed hardware.

Note that the definition of "breakout success" says nothing about longevity, which appears to be your argument against; a thing can be a breakout success and then still disappear overnight.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While there are certainly questions about the longevity of VR I can't help but get the impression that the content is already better than it ever was with 3D for home video so I'm cautiously optimistic that VR does have a future.

Not sure what possessed Microsoft to stay away from console VR for now though...

With MS having no answer to the mobility benefits of the Switch while the PS4 has significantly more games compared to the Xbox can they really afford to just wait and see until the VR dust settles?

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

My only concern about VR was that it might distract game producers from producing proper games, rather than just vom inducing novelties. Fortunately that doesn't appear to be the case and there are still plenty of non-VR titles coming. I am also unaware of anyone I know having purchased any kind of VR device. Although, I do have a google cardboard (got it for free!) that it is briefly entertaining for looking at 360 photos and video.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you listen carefully, you can hear a distant hollering from up on my ivory tower that sounds something like "Cardboard is not real VR!".

11. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

That's an on going problem with VR - the reach of the cheaper 3DoF devices vs. the proper 6DoF ones, yet both are simply called 'VR'.

I too hope Sony keep up with VR - Resident Evil 7 is amazing in VR and would love more AAA games to get adopted. Nice to hear that From Software are making a VR game too - makes the future of VR seem pretty good.

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Xbox needs to focus on more quality first party titles, not niche VR titles so I am glad MS have made the this decision.

Tags: Add Tags