1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple coughs to MacBook, MacBook Pro keyboard flaw

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 25 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Typo: theire.

I tested out the new Mac keyboards in a shop, because I was thinking about buying a "cheapish" one for development purposes. Two minutes with it convinced me that the modern Macbook keyboards are not fit for purpose. They look great, but the travel is so minimal and the stop so abrupt that it's not comfortable to type on, even just a couple of sentences.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd blame my keyboard, but I've long since stopped trying to use Apple products.

EDIT:
    You sure? I've just done a search for "theire", and it's nowhere to be found in the article...
    One of Apple's selling points for the new butterfly switches was that they were quieter, but it turns out to be the opposite: the short travel means that everyone bottoms 'em out with a loud clatter, and as they wear thanks to the article-explained design flaw you have to push even harder. The result: a stupid-loud laptop.

Remember when Apple products were praised for their elegant design and top-notch build quality?

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Well we can't mock Apple any more for the highway robbery prices they charge to get more RAM in their PCs since all RAM is now stupidly priced, so Apple had to go back to the lab and come up with a new way to infuriate the public.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Clearly they weren't making enough of a margin on their desktop/laptop line, so they had to start cheaping out!

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Not a flaw, everyone is using it wrong :p

RedFlames likes this.
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...no? They've been making monumentally dumb design decisions for as long as i've paid attention.

Apple's mice and keyboards have, imo, always been rubbish.

8. Paradigm Shifter

It 'twas in the opening bold paragraph, and isn't there any more, so whatever it was, it's sorted. :D You have magic, sir. ;)

To be honest, I don't. Well, maybe I remember the old tiny ~8" CRT all-in-one Apples that the Design/Technology department at my secondary school had, but while the keyboards were good for them, the mice were horrible and the screen seemed designed to make you need glasses as a 14 year old...

The "fruit coloured" all-in-one CRT Macs were horrible because the ones my colleagues used were always overheating. About the only good Mac I've ever used was the first-gen Mac Pro, but even then Mac OSX was a steaming pile of [censored]. The guy I worked next to during my PhD used a Mac and it was always doing the spinning-rainbow-wheel-of-death "freeze", where you can't actually do anything, but because it hadn't BSOD'd, it hadn't "crashed". I always wondered how it was possible to mess up BSD so badly. My old boss swore by his Macbook Pro until the GPU decided to desolder itself... then he swore at it, instead.

I really have no idea where Apple got their reputation for solid manufacture, except possible the 5th gen (I think it was) iPod Classic (HDD, 160GB, colour screen, click wheel) because that was the best portable music player I've every owned in terms of capacity, battery life, durability and usability. That thing went through everything and came out with just the back scuffed a bit.

Agree pretty much 100% with that assessment.

edit: I think the next Macbook keyboard will be haptic touchbar for the whole keyboard. No keys breaking due to dust/moisture ingress, all form minimal function... ;)

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

One of t'others must have spotted it and fixed it before I had a chance!
    The early Apple stuff had some seriously clever engineering - although it's often forgotten when the company's history is told that Woz couldn't get the original Apple to work until Chuck Peddle came along to lend a hand.

Apple's industrial design was always solid, and in the early days its build quality matched. Over the years the build quality suffered, and these days the design is suffering too - remember the abandoned Mac Pro dustbin, which turned out to have been a complete dead-end design?

10. RedFlames

Pretty much anyone with eyes said as much as soon as they unveiled it.

...and lets not forget they were forced into the Mac Pro redeisgn in the first place because iirc they couldn't guarantee to the EU's satisfaction that the PSU in the old tower Mac Pro wouldn't electrocute you.

11. Paradigm Shifter

:D Teamwork, bit has it. ;)

I saw a mini-ITX case that was based on cloning the Mac Dustbin design. Lemme find it. Here we are: Kuro Tsudsumi. I almost bought one for the giggles.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

13. Gareth Halfacree

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

No, not at all.

I remmber lots and lots of keyboard with self extracting keys, mice that ate their own cables, overheating Mac Book Pros and so on.

Although R2Scream2 and the current systems that are incapable of adequately cooling themselves is the low point of Apple PC design to date. The emphasis seems to be entirely on aesthetics now, the butterfly keyboards being another symptom of that.

15. RedFlames

Imo Apple's deisgn, certainly in the Cook'd Apple era, is less about what the end-user wants/needs [The end user wants/needs what we tell them they want/need --Jobs] and usability and more about stroking Ive's ego.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Apple design of old always made me sad that it was such an arseache to swap the guts of a laptop over.

I'd love a second/third generation MBP with none of the apple branding, and a modern motherboard with USB3 and a decent display. IMO, those are the peak of Apple design for laptops. G5 PowerMac for desktops.

Hell, I loved that the iBooks used to be great for colour swaps - Just sand out the white and spray in the colour of choice. Mine was Ford Magnum Grey.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I don't doubt it is horrible but just like other silly ideas (for example one single port on a laptop) it can easily find its way into products.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I really like the idea of a dual screen laptop provided both were pen enabled and that the pen was using Wacom or N-Trig technology. I could have my workspace on the bottom with tool selection and overview on top.

Although I would have to plug in a keyboard and mouse as well, which might undermine the whole idea a bit. But it's still something I can see appealing to creative types if done right.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2018
Tags: Add Tags