1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer launches Huntsman optical-switch gaming keyboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 29 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Something about your article @Gareth Halfacree makes me think you're a little sceptical of this particular product... I can't quite put my finger on what though...

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I posted this earlier on Hexus: I've been using a Qpad MK-85 (MX browns) for nearly four years now but, I can't say I have ever felt the keyswitches were too slow to respond. How much faster can Razer's switches realistically be with 0.5 mm less movement? Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, at least not for most people.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

How to add more RGB to your RGBs when RGB just isn't enough, add some IR.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The real question is what do Razer do when they run out of cool sounding spider names? The Razer Daddy Long Legs? Razer Common House??

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I don't think there's a risk of that happening any time soon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spider_common_names
    Though I do look forward to seeing the Razer Pinktoe VR foot controller.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Hardware Canucks review of this was quite entertaining, but they shared my opinion that an ultra premium keyboard that requires account driven DRM laden software to access the settings and lacks USB pass through is unacceptable.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Introducing the Razer Hobo!

Yes there is such thing as a Hobo Spider.
    They could always start using the Latin names, Razer Steatoda sounds better than Razer Cupboard. Or they could use both, having the base model the Razer Cardinal and the RGB one as the Razer Tegenaria. I don't think they'll run out of names to soon though, what with spiders being so horrifically varied.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

SURELY NOT, WHAT WITH RAZER'S WELL-ESTABLISHED REPUTATION FOR QUALITY PRODUCTS.

(Also, it ain't even the first keyboard to use optical switches - Flaretech and Gateron both do optical options, and they've appeared in the Gigabyte Aorus K9 Optical and Tesoro Excalibur SE Spectrum - nor is it the most interesting: Wooting uses optical switches to give each key analogue rather than digital control, which is interesting but suffers badly from the chicken-and-egg "nobody adds support because nobody buys the keyboards/nobody buys the keyboards because nobody adds support" issue.)
    At least they bought themselves some wiggle-room by using snake names for mice and spider names for keyboards.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2018
    GeorgeK likes this.
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

But but they are soooo innovative, no other keyboard manufacturer has as much DRM in their software as Razer:hehe:

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's not so much the quicker response time with 'gaming' keyboards but the deresponse time, arguably mechanical 'gaming' keyboards are a misnomer as their not ideal for gaming, it's to do with what happens in games (mainly FPS) when two direction keys are pressed at the same time and the null-movement that results from having a key you've let go of still registering a key press until it reaches its deactivation point while you're pressing a new key, (this YouTube Video is Milton talking about the issue, if Video isn't you thing someone also wrote about the issue here).

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

No idea who "Milton" is but, his problem is more likely one of personal preference than anything wrong with a particular type of keyswitch. He won't influence my buying decision when I need a new keyboad, probably still some years away. I do play some games that require use of the WASD keys but, the keyboard is much faster to respond/ derespond, whatever, than my fingers are.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's nothing 'wrong' with the type of keyswitch, it's just the different way they work, membrane based switches activate/deactivate when the key bottoms out and the moment it's no longer bottomed out, mechanical switches activate/deactivate at something like 2mm and while you could learn not to press another key until that 2mm cutoff point is reached I'd suggest that knowing when one key has rebounded 2.1mm and another depressed 2mm would be difficult the learn.

Not that it matters much as i guess most people play games for fun instead of competitively, it just irks me when companies market something as 'gaming' when it either doesn't effect your gaming experience or actually makes it worse.

14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Looking forward to the Razer Big Bend Recluse.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I found it pretty easy to learn, the noise will teach you not to bottom out (so you end up stopping close to the activation point due to that).

But yeah, more could be done with switches other than membrane / mech, I don't really care if it ends up with optical, scissor or topre becoming the go to for gaming products, the shortage of meaningful alternatives is disturbing.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Mx speed/silver with some O-rings make my keyboard fast enough for my newb skills.

17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I had to check the calendar to confirm the month when I saw the price.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Remember this? Remember when I said:
    Well, I've just discovered I was off by a few... decades.

upload_2018-9-18_14-41-12.png

Okay, so it's not identical, but the base concept is the same: keys which interrupt a beam of light rather than completing an electrical circuit.

(I'm currently sorting through 17GB (!) of some dude's junkmail he uploaded to The Internet Archive. There's some absolutely fantastic stuff in here!)

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'm waiting for Hall Effect switches to become the 'in thing' for gaming keyboards. Or maybe someone will go "hey, the switch needs a spring anyway, let's sprinkle in a pile of inductance sensors!".

Tags: Add Tags