1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ouchie. i remember when i did that to friends cbr that i was taking for his mot while he was at work. painful £300 to repair damage done by my stupidity

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Yikes, that's pricey for a bracket! Or is that including labour, and not just the part?

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

140 for the bracket, 40 to fit. Assuming the caliper itself isn't damaged.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I broke off the foot of my fork that way….be happy it's just the bracket :rollingeyes:

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Alarmed disc-locks Cheesecake. You might forget to attach a reminder cable, but you won't miss the loud high-pitched shrieking coming from your front wheel as soon as your try and move the bars.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I called the dealer about getting it sorted earlier today. They're happy for me to drop the bike off, but it might be the 4th July by the time they can look at it - because it's summer and everyone is dragging their bikes out of the garage and dusting off the cobwebs after not having touched it in months :waah:.

I hope to f--- it's just the bracket, replacing the caliper could get pricey... :(.

Yeah, I was thinking about that actually...

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Finished up the rebuild of the CM125. Pics to follow. Sailed through the MoT, no advisories. :)

Yaka and Arboreal like this.
  8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Ahem... we're waiting...

Canon, Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

This thread makes me want to purchase a bike again a bigger one though =/ shame it'd probably get stolen in my area every 2 weeks.

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

yeah youll be fleeced buy insurance companies. my area is like that nigts slight noise and im out side.

im sure that ******* cat from nextdor sets off the bike alarm on purpose. im not a bad person but if it ever comes near im kicking the ****er into touch

on another note my speedo cable needs replacing but the end that goes into the wheel hub has siezed i have tried everything so far but nothing is working

11. Xir

Xir Modder

The head bearing of my bike had a definite notch in the middle. I suppose it's okay, it's lasted 14 years and 50000km.
    Took it too the dealer to have it replaced. Was quoted ~250€ on the phone, then ~420€ when I was there. :eyebrow:

By the time I got it back the dealer told me my brakes had seized and one of the pads was down to the bare metal. He'd need to replace them and service the brake.
    I didn't believe him.*

* 1000km before, I noticed one pad was less worn than the others, and I cleaned out the calipers and made sure all brakecylinders where lose.

So I made him give me a quote for a new set of original Brembo brakepads, and sourced some myself as well.
    His were 140€ (without putting them in and "repairing" the brake)
    Mine were 80€ (also original Brembo)

So I had to sign saying I picked the bike up not roadworthy, as one pad was metal-on-metal and rode home.

Checked the brakes at home, all cylinders work, and can be pushed in easily by hand, and the thinnest pad was about twice as thick as the wear marks.

So, there's another shop I don't need to go to anymore *sigh*

12. Xir

Xir Modder

That said, the head bearing is great again :grin:

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Oh...my search for a scooter has ended, as my parents decided I can use theirs, as they use it 1-2 weeks a year and i can use it the rest so it's not just standing about.
    They could have thought of that 10 years earlier. :rollingeyes:
    So instead of getting a decent 125, I'll now have an old (but fast) 50cc Gilera two-smoker. :grin:

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Snap :clap: I just got me a Suzuki for a giggle
    [​IMG]

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You've set your text colour to black; I use the "Dark" theme and I can't read this. I mean I did read it because I saw the email notification, but y'know...

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Anybody have an Abba Skylift (or experience using one) by any chance? I'm trying to decide between that and a Sealey MC550 (they work about to pretty much the same price). The Sealey is a 'standard' lift so working on it is as usual, and it;s 'universal' (i.e. you don;t need a bobbin set per bike as you do with the Abba. The Abba is MUCH more compact (I've only a wee little shed!) and lets you pull off everything barring the swingarm without extra stands/chocks (and you can even get the swingarm off with the footpeg adaptor).
    What's giving me pause is the lack of the 'platform' beneath the bike you get with a normal lift. I have no idea how much of a faff it would be in practice not having a convenient surface to put things on right next to where you are working. e.g. an oil/coolant drain means either sticking a drain pan on some other stand wheeled under the bike, or lowering the bike back down to the ground defeating the point of having a lift stand in the first place.
    All the youtube 'reviews' are from the "I have 20 Ducatis and now I can show them off in my living room doing wheelies!" crowd which isn't much help, and the 'motorcycle press' just marvel at bike-goes-up-bike-goes-down.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd be looking for a granny tea tray (or similar) that wheels around so you can pop it under the bike with a drip tray for fluids, and use as tool/parts storage when you're just working on it. Alternatively, if you can weld, make one for £30 or so.

My choice would be down to how regularly I was realistically expecting to get the bike off its wheels and how much extra faff the normal lift would be... Don't forget that although the lift is a lot bigger, it also folds down to a small height and you could either a) park the bike on it or b) cover it with a car etc.

edzieba likes this.
  18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The tea-tray is a good shout (welder is on the Do Want list along with a compressor, air tools, a spray booth, a pony....). I'm intending to strip the whole bike down to the engine, so being able to wheel the frame around all the bits seems like a good idea.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Been fancying a trip up to Scotland before the weather gets too cold again...

Edit: linking Google maps routes utterly sucks.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2018
  20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder