1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple refreshes MacBook Pro family

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 13 Jul 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Radio Pro discrete graphics?

More seriously, I wonder how they've fixed, or tried to fix, the butterfly keyboard. It not sounding like the top of an open jar is a start, but it does have to actually work as well. Also I wonder what the cooling is like on the i9 models, or do they start throttling by the time the you open Safari...

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Many were expecting a Kaby Lake-G part to turn up in a MacBook, maybe it's been relegated to iMacs only (or to a future new xBook line).

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bah - I'll go fix, ta!

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

2.9GHz CPU, 32GB RAM and 2TB SSD = £4,400. 4TB SSD = £6,700.

Um. I presume everything is soldered on so no upgrades...? Or easy fixes if something dies...

But hey, the new Dell Precision 7730 can be maxed out at over $22,000 (US)... so the Macbook Pro is a bargain!

Of course, that Precision 7730 has a 16GB GPU, 64GB ECC-RAM, same CPU and 8TB of NMVE SSDs...

Byron C and MLyons like this.
  6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Simple - they haven't.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This is not a proper refresh, it's merely pushing the top of the envelope further to charge absurd amounts of money for the 4 TB variant. It's worse than console mid-cycle refreshes.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure I agree (well, apart from the absurd cost of the 4TB version, you're spot-on there): they've got new processors, more storage, more RAM, revised (but still fundamentally broken) keyboard, new security/voice-recognition copper, new displays. Sure, the chassis is unchanged, but the rest is pretty durn refreshed.

9. perplekks45

Yes, but they did not refresh the whole line, did they? The non-Touch Bar MB Pro stay exactly the same. Or did I miss something?

10. Gareth Halfacree

No, it's only the Touch Bar ones - as the article says (though not the headline, I'll grant you). The only change to the non-Touch Bar versions is to retire the last model that actually worked, which isn't all that refreshing.

A hardware refresh doesn't have to affect the entire range - when Dell refreshed the XPS13 range with 8th-gen processors, I was still able to buy my 7th-gen XPS13 from 'em.

11. perplekks45

Yes, you're right (as usual). But it is still disappointing to have a partial refresh that kills off part of the product line, improves other parts (by arguably quite a bit) leaves other parts untouched and leads to an overall way higher price ceiling.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Welcome to Apple Computers, may I take your order?

13. RedFlames

That's Gareth's next book bio sorted.

Yes, I'd like a laptop that i can actually do actual work on without destroying my wrists... No? You'd like me to go what myself?

MLyons likes this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

I think you misspelled "epitaph".

15. RedFlames

I actually meant/was thinking those mini reviews/quotes you often see in book blurb.

16. Gareth Halfacree

I know, I just like the thought of having "You're right (as usual)" on my headstone when I cark it. Though it won't beat Spike Milligan's "I told you I was ill" (which they wouldn't let him have, so it ended up being "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite" - the same thing, only Irish.)

RedFlames likes this.
  17. RedFlames

Níl sé ach créachta feoil.

Apologies to any gaelic speakers if Google Translate as ballsed that up.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have never heard an adequate explanation of why people use Mac books. What is it that makes them better for certain types of work than a regualr laptop/PC. To me they are just over-priced tech for people to wave around in a Starbucks. "Look at my bank balance guys! I can buy overpriced tech that isn't upgradable or repairable..for no reason other than it looks shiny!"

Educate me.

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently the fact it’s more UNIX than windows if what I’ve been told as “windows isn’t a true development environment “

Fizzban likes this.
  20. RedFlames

For some, Industry Inertia. Some industry's tools were originally mac-only, and whilst some have since gone cross-platform they've stuck with mac because that's what they're used to, and subsequently what new entrants get trained to use.

Apple haven't [yet] pissed them off to the point that swallowing the cost of replacing all their macs and retraining all their staff becomes a palatable option.

Fizzban likes this.
Tags: Add Tags