1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I entertained the idea of just sanding it off with 80 grit after hour two. I'm going to do some research and purchasing before I do the other side, though. That TIM cleaner may be on the shortlist.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If anyone is ever thinking that they don't have enough faff and hassle in their life, I would highly recommend giving sh* away for free on Gumtree :wallbash:

That TIM cleaner does work wonders, but I think anything orange oil based should do the same job (and potentially cost a great deal less)

Last edited: 15 Jul 2018
    liratheal likes this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Back of the bottle is not much help: "contains aliphatic hydrocarbons". Might as well say "contains stuff". I've used it on numerous things, including cleaning a heavily gunked cd.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

34.8C 51% humidity. Someone send help.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

Pete J, IanW, Mister_Tad and 2 others like this.
  6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

<deathgroan>

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Certificate expired on some application used in the business. Solution, chuck the fault at me to manually RDP to all the devices, remove the old one and add the new one then reboot the device.
    That would be fine if it was a couple of devices, not 1015 though! They have not heard of automation!

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds like a pretty chill day to me.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Don't worry, yesterday shortly after midnight I had to migrate some 60 systems to a new centralized GlusterFS cluster, thus changing all fstab files which were all different for some reason, all simultaneously. Then I had to fix the clamd implementation on all of them. Then update and. Reboot all of them a few at a time so as to not cause further downtime. Total downtime was 7 minutes.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I dunno, process is more mind numbing than anything.

RDP to device, wait for auto login account session to time out.
    Login as me
    Remove old cert
    install new cert
    Remote reboot machine and pray it comes back on
    Login again and test app

All while hoping who ever is at the other end doesn't panic thinking they are being hacked and turns off the machine.

11. RedFlames

It's still too warm, even with the rain.

12. Mister_Tad

Rain. Lucky you!

This. Still ruining. Chap that was going to collect today at 2 rescheduled for 6, and then at 7 let me know he wasn't coming (which I had spotted) because of a broken car.

Relisted with "Free stuff, only respond if you can collect tonight", within 5 minutes had a dozen responses of people saying they can collect tomorrow... fail.

Then one that can collect tonight, but doesn't have a car until he husband is home, so will head over once that happens and let me know when she's on her way.

In the meantime have a bunch of the people that said they can collect tomorrow say, oh, can totes pick up right now... well why didn't you say that to start with?

So now I'm waiting for someone at some point tonight when they get the car back that may or may not turn up, meanwhile someone is literally around the corner from me that can come now. Next time I'm just going to post the ad saying it's on the corner of the road, when it's gone it's gone.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2018
    IanW and MLyons like this.
  13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Yeah my disclaimer would be : All i want to do is hand it over at my door nothing else, first come first serve no holds

14. Mister_Tad

Once someone has my address and agreed pick-up, I feel honour bound not to give it to someone else until they screw the pooch and I tell them so. Mainly because I want to avoid an argument on my doorstep because someone feels somehow entitled to my free stuff.

The person that's supposedly coming to pick it up this evening tricked me though.

- Hi can collect tonight, what's the address?
    Great, <address>
    - Okay don't have a car at the moment just waiting for husband to come home, when's the latest I can pick up?
    <
    internally groans> Fine, 10pm
    - Okay I'll let you know

FFS let me know what? I'm currently awaiting a reply along the lines of

- Hi, just measured up and won't fit in the car, can you deliver? And also install? And while you're here can you give me a hand moving a sofa, and painting my kid's room, and doing my taxes?

I tried giving away a free, perfectly functional and not even particularly old dishwasher a while back. After so much faff I sent it to the tip with a trucked-up neighbour (he's sadly no longer trucked up). I'd take these myself but the universe will spite me by throwing a nail in my tyre, as it has before.

15. RedFlames

You know the a saying 'a backup is only a backup if it works, else it's a paperweight'...

*glares at paperweight*

16. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Seriously just tell them to come. When it's free just be clear that the first person to turn up gets it and that you may offer it to more than one person. Just ain't worth the hassle!!

I just message anyone that missed out and say "Sorry gave it to a neighbour in the end".

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Advertise stuff you want to give away at a fiver or tenner with a first come gets it.

They'll fight over it then.

18. Mister_Tad

Got another text in the end from the woman saying her husband will come to pick them up at 9:30. Fine.

Sitting in the lounge, my wife advises me that an Astra has just pulled up in front of the drive. It's 9:30. Heart sinks - the items in question are three large radiator covers and my gut says that they aren't going in an Astra.
    I go out to meet the guy, he clearly has no idea what his wife has sent him to pick up. I see that there's a child's seat in the back of the car. He opens the boot and there's a large pushchair there along with some other stuff. Heart sinks a bit more.

We barely squeeze them in, but he's driving home with zero legroom and all the stuff stacked up in the passenger seat. His problem though, not mine! I'm just glad I don't have to shuffle them around again to get the car out for its service in the morning.

I'll be doing this next time. I was just thinking that if someone told me I might be going back empty handed I wouldn't bother, but with the number of people that were willing to turn up within the hour seems like that would be just fine.

19. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

This heat...

Almightyrastus likes this.
  20. Canon

Canon Reformed

eBay..

Made the mistake of sending an item to a buyer via the advertised postage method (royal mail, 1st class standard).

Buyer claiming item was never received, messaged the fella to ensure him I had retained proof of postage but couldn't provide tracking details unfortunately. eBay removed the items total value from my PayPal. He stopped responding. Contacted eBay about the matter and they told me because they recommend always providing tracking info they cannot verify where the item is, therefore it is undelivered and I must refund the full amount. I was advised to seek a refund from Royal Mail.

Idiotic if you ask me..