1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 x64 Shutting at 13%

Discussion in 'Software' started by antipcw, 26 Jul 2018.

1. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Could somebody kindly shed some light why when trying to install Windows 7 x 64, it stops copying the files at 13% repeatedly and shuts the out-of-case rig. The CPU cooler, a Gelid Siberian PRO, does not feel hot, only the GeForce 9800GT feels a bit warm. So I thought can't be overheating issues.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Dodgy install media would be my first guess.

3. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

But same install media installed Windows 7 x 64 OS flawlessly on another rig set-up.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Okay, that's one possibility eliminated then :D

What are the specs of the system that you're attempting to install Windows on? It could be a hardware fault (CPU/Motherboard/RAM/PSU/Hard Drive could all be the culprits) or a compatibility issue (some boards are fussy about RAM compatibility, for example). It's hard to say without more information, to be honest. Has the system been working fine prior to you trying to install Win 7 on it?

5. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

try installing with just one stick of ram in pc,

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Are you installing from a dvd? Can try creating a bootable usb version.

Is the hdd ok? I'm not sure but isn't around that sort of % where it's unpacking onto the hdd?

Ah the joy of identifying problems. I've had things from the 'wrong' usb peripheral being attached to even just a duff sata cable cause me no end of headaches.

7. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

true lol.

needs to try installing windows with just the bare components in system and adding one at a time to identify the problem.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Attach the drive to another computer and check what the log file says.

9. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thanks , everybody for your kind answers and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Rig.
    An AsusP5Q Pro Turbo motherboard, that despite the Asus Manual quite clearly stating it would accept my existing OCZ HPC Reaper 2 x 2Gb PC2-8500, refused to POST when out-of-case test setup with that RAM. So had to get some cheapie PC2-6400u 1Gb sticks to get it to POST successfully to the Asus BIOS splash screen.

CPU is Intel Q6600 bought from CeX. Reliable vendors.

Therefore, decided to go ahead and install the Windows 7 x64OS from a LG DVD-R/W to an older IDE WD120Gb HDD. But that failed at 13%v as originally I posted here. So, just bought a Seagate SATA 320Gb HDD to see if that will take a Windows OS install. Will update situ later.

Only GPU, HDD, USB keyboard, CPU+cooler, and RAM in.

Rig is a replacement for a friend overseas whose PC was short-circuited by their equivalent of BT

10. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Update:

After initially having repeatedly getting a re-boot trying to install Windows to a replacement SATA HDD, and the GPU getting really hot, discovered that the GPU was not fully pushed into its PCI-e slot.

Re-set CMOS and left it overnight. Had another go. This time got as far as 96% before the Windows install all of a sudden stopped PSU, GPU and Gelid fans spinning. On re-start kept getting a message on screen of a S.M.A.R.T. something BAD, etc, etc. Went through 'Press any key....', and this time just got a black screen with white mouse cursor arrow, nothing else for a bit.

Any ideas, please, what's going on. Is the 2nd hand SATA HDD, or 2nd hand GPU faulty?

11. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

does sound like a bad hdd.

have you another one you can use and maybe if possible just use this one for temp storage?

install just using bare minimum and putting back in one at a time but does sound like hdd is buggered.

does the motherboard also have a vga connector, connect using that as well.

12. adidan

Ah, I started a long time ago just ever installing with only the one boot drive connected. It seemed to solve many problems, not only Windows trying to put files on any another hdd connected.

I'd give that a go, just attach any extra drives after it's been installed.

Edit: scratch that, sorry i misread as a 2nd hdd rather than a 2nd hand hdd. I blame the thunderstorms currently crushing my head. :)

13. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thanks, jenners, adidan.

Unfortunately, the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo does not have an on-board VGA port.

I'm going to have another go after clearing the CMOS to see if I'm still getting that S.M.A.R.T. error on boot-up. If it is, I will take the 2nd-hand CEX-purchased SATA Seagate 320Gb HDD back and get it swapped.

14. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

do you have a boot disk where you can check the hdd for bad sectors etc?

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Jul 2018
  15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The fact that it fails at 13% every time suggests something is amiss with your hardware or installation media. I know it worked elsewhere, but I'd suggest downloading it again and giving it another try.

Try completely wiping the drive, too.

16. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Long gone past that 13% stage.

Check my 07:19am thread this morning.

Thanks, nevertheless.

17. adidan

Try a different DVD drive if you have one.

That's caused me issues before for no reason even though the same drive worked fine with different components.

Pretty much why I install by usb now.

18. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

i have replied to your post, but mine needs moderator approval sadly lol.

think it might be as i supplied a link that doesn't seem to be a problem on other forums.

19. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thanks, will try that suggestion. Fingers crossed.

20. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, no. I used to have a Hiren disk at one time but have either mislaid or lost it. Can it be downloaded to a USB?

Tags: