1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Be interested on hearing what your experience is.

I find it difficult anywhere can match Paris CDG for rudeness and inefficiency.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As someone who's never flown, I have heard more people rage about CDG than Reykjavik.

Gatwick/Stanstead/Heathrow tend to get slated in reviews too. As do most major US airports.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've only heard good things about Reykjavik since it's been a popular free layover for many flights now.

That said some people are staying over night so get to go out and about, spending just a few hours stuck in the airport isn't fun anywhere TBH.

CDG takes the biscuit though, Heathrow is a dream by comparison. Everywhere else in Europe - better. Toronto, Dubai, Beijing, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland all far better.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

To be blunt I have never been to a major airport that wasn't filled with stressed, bad tempered staff and security. I think it just comes with having to handle thousands of planes and millions of people every day, all of whom are on journeys critical to the survival of the human race.

And yes, I've been there on a trip, I came back to the UK, my little sister went on to New York, her suitcase came back to the UK with me, inexplicably, we checked into different flights, with different airlines. On the plus side it was at least safe.

Nowhere will ever top Brisbane airport for me though (never flown to Paris), that is the angriest place I have ever been, do not stand still DO NOT STAND STILL! East Midlands however is lovely, it's like flying from Mom'n'Pop's family run airfield.

MLyons likes this.
  5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've actually been at CDG on a trip from Lisbon to Tokyo. Other than the sheer distance of going from terminal 5 to 1 (or E to A, don't remember, was in 2012) it was a very pleasant experience. Even the security worker spoke in Portuguese with me.

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I hadn’t flown for 15 years and flew from East Midlands and it was great.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The worst part about any airport for me is parking. On that front Manchester airport can go **** itself.

I think the worst landing I've experienced was Detroit in the winter. That was a cluster **** without being an accident.

Tbh, I expect airports to be busy, irritating, and full of selfish travellers. A good set of headphones, arriving way too early, and it all just kind of.. doesn't matter anymore. Someone cut in front of you in security? No big deal, you've got an hour and a half to kill on the other side before they even announce your gate. Although the Germans are unsurprisingly efficient. Your gate is known on check-in, no matter how early you are.

I always get stopped at security, so I'm more than used to being fondled by some complete stranger. I know bags get lost and ****ed up, so I never check anything important. I know what seven am beer tastes like, and it's good.

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Deleted

Last edited: 4 Oct 2018
  9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

so after deleting 1000s of emails, i decided to unsub as they came in reducing my inbox from about 40k to 4 emails.

Even after Unsubscribing some emails are still coming though from the damn people i unsubscribed from and more annoying, some websites want you to login and change your newsletters settings completely instead of just redirecting to you a " unsubscribe from all" page, furthermore some are even requesting questionnaires before dropping off the list.

By all means i didn't think it would be easy getting a 10 year old email account under control, but when you unsub and they still send you emails its a pita

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is absolutely not life-ruining, but more "slightly vexing"...

I bought a Logitech MX Master the other day and tried to pair it with the unifying receiver for my existing K270 wireless keyboard, which is part of an MK270 wireless desktop combo. No dice. The unifying software refuses to see the existing wireless receiver, and also refuses to add the K270 to the new unifying receiver. Some browsing on Logitech's website proves unhelpful, as said website clearly states that the K270 uses "unifying" technology.

Well, it turns out that not all K270s are created equal... Mine is apparently a version that, despite looking like it uses a unifying receiver, actually uses a different wireless protocol that isn't compatible with the unifying receiver. Instead, the receiver bundled with the MK270 will only work with the keyboard and mouse that it shipped with. So I now have to use two wireless receivers for my two wireless peripherals from the same manufacturer, despite both claiming to utilise the same unifying wireless technology. Not the end of the world, by any means, but you have to question why a company that makes big play out of its unifying technology can manage to ship multiple versions of the same keyboard that use different, incompatible, protocols. Fortunately I do have a spare USB port on my switching hub but I'd be very cross if I didn't, given that I bought both products partly on the basis that they would be compatible.

Weekly_Estimate and MLyons like this.
  11. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I am, thanks dude. I'm moving out on the 1st of August and I've just used the threat that I've called the police etc which I haven't but I have just wanted her off my back.

adidan likes this.
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That's why I've taken to parking at home, and arriving at the airport by train whenever possible. The train ticket is often cheaper than airport parking!

Take this year for instance, I'm flying to Austin for a week in October from Birmingham (because £300 less than out of Manchester!).
    The train costs about £6 more than the cheapest "come back to no side windows or radio" parking, but that's without factoring in the 100miles each way I'd have to fight my way down the M6 (and when is the M6 ever not a fight? :p)
    My flights both ways leave after 11am midweek, so I'm hoping for a relatively quiet airport experience.

All very true.

Been there too. I've taken to flying "carry-on only".

EDIT: Must learn to count one day...

Last edited: 26 Jul 2018
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

[​IMG]

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I bought a Crumpler Jackpack Half-Photo for this very reason: laptop in the back, camera, four lenses, and flash in the bottom, clothes and miscellany in the top. Means I can travel for anything up to a week - more if I use the hotel's laundry service or find a laundrette - without checked luggage. Makes work trips a lot less stressful!

IanW likes this.
  15. liratheal

I like the train - The problem is the flight times. I can't get to the appropriate airport by train when the flight is at seven AM. It's either taxi, which have proven to be unreliable, or drive. If at all possible, though, I take the train. I can listen to music and play games that way.

And yeah. I check bags if I absolutely have to, good packing and pack organisation has kept me from having to for.. Two? Three? Years now.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Add some of those roll-up vacuum bags - I was able to go 2 weeks without needing a laundrette using only a "cabin max" backpack (for tech, I just take a tablet and a point & shoot camera these days).

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

just went out to do maintenance on the can am, lasted all of 30 mins before racing in for a cold shower.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The struggle is real!

It's the stressed, hurried and PITA passengers that I find worse. Security and staff are just doing their job, and having to put up with asshat after asshat for the privilege. So many people seem to have no idea what is involved when flying, surprised when they are asked to take their laptop out, or that the 500ml bottle isn't allowed, or arsey when they have to take their shoes off - did you arrive here on a boat and this is your first time flying?

I can't stand MAN short stay. The spaces are tiny, there's barely any manoeuvring room, the combination of multi-story where you can book for weeks with a 15-min drop off tariff is lunacy and means it's always super congested whilst you wait for a family of 16 to load into a minibus. Grr.

I travel frequently enough that I'm nigh on immune to being irritated in an airport (and frankly in Europe we're pretty spoiled with decent airports compared to say, the middle east) but MAN short-stay gets me every time. The other one is the ridiculous baggage re-check when you get in MCO - waiting for bags is my favourite airport experience, so it's wonderful at MCO how you re-check them immediately after getting them to wait all over again when you get back to the main terminal.

19. liratheal

I only used the carpark that's sixty countries away from the airport, that requires a sherpa, a bus with an old person that smells vaguely of wee, a young person that smells strongly of vomit, and has one of those teeth-chattering vibrations no matter what the bus seems to be doing - And a driver that seems to need to stop and ask for directions, even when you can see the stop he needs to go to.

The shortstay parking looked about as much fun as a rectal examination from someone with leprosy sounds.

Swore off that airport there and then.

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

And now for an actual ruining, not that an unexpectedly unripened avocado isn't a travesty in its own way.

Wore flip flops to ice hockey training tonight.
    Did not have spare socks in my kit bag.
    No longer have skin on a fairly large portion of the inside of each ankle as a result.
    Stings like a MF right now, but I feel the worst is yet to come.