1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How I deactivate my account?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cookie Monster, 24 Mar 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

You asked the question - I was merely saying what you would need to do if you wanted an answer

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

At least I obliged you with an answer. You seem to be getting pretty defensive about answering a pretty straight forward question that any moderator worth his salt would or should know.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

WTF is even going on here? Someone was asked to not bump and delete in their threads, that person continued, that person then behaved like a silly sausage, silly sausage got banned for a week. WTF has a mod trying to maintain forum etiquette got to do with GDPR?

Mod Edit - reign it in by a tenth or so, dancing on the line of "family friendly" here with the terminology. Fine for many, perhaps not for some.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Jul 2018
  5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have no idea the answer to that question. I don't know why I would need to know either. If I wanted to know I would ask staff as I have suggested you should but I don't want to know as I don't care so I won't.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

People often confuse personal rights with the need to obey rules within a private forum.

Also, from a few pages ago:
    The position seems to be that account information falls under GDPR rules, post content (edits, bumps, reverts by mods etc.) falls under forum rules.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2018
  7. B1GBUD

People also confuse that their job (or role for a better word) is to enforce/uphold the rules, where a 1st warning issued, then a 3 day ban, or 7 day ban upon escalating behaviour. Lets also call out some of the derogatory name calling by some of the other members in this thread, being brushed aside or not given any consideration at all. So I refer to my earlier point of questioning this so called FAIR AND PROPORTIONATE MODERATION.

8. wolfticket

9. B1GBUD

So where does the "Right to erasure" fall under?

Last edited: 30 Jul 2018
  10. wolfticket

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You do have to do something, which is to use the official contact details provided by the company.
    And on the website it doesn't tell you to ask in some random thread, but links to a contact form instead:
    https://bit-tech.net/contact-us/

12. B1GBUD

No, seriously, I really don't....

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This is bit-tech in 2018. No wonder people want to leave and remove all trace of themselves from the forum.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's my day off. Give me a TLDR

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nope.
    You have zero legal entitlement to an answer from any company if you do not contact them through official channels.

16. B1GBUD

Well should I become compelled to find out, maybe I'll do that. There seemed to be other moderators helpfully answering questions without insisting they fill out FOI request or complete their "contact us" form. My point was actually confirmed by George's rather flippant remark that he doesn't have to know, or indeed actually know if there is a DPO.... what a quality response that was!

17. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

being a super moderator would only mean he can access all threads and edit etc rather than just certain areas, what you are asking is an admin requirement surely.

think that is why george is saying he doesn't know or need to know as he wouldn't be able to deal with it anyway.

that's how i understand most forums to work anyway, might be wrong.

18. jinq-sea

Bit-tech forum GDPR. @B1GBUD appears to have some questions, and as far as I know, none of us mods have the answers.

TL;DR: what's our GDPR policy, and where is it?

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Privacy Policy here - https://www.themediateam.net/privacy/
    It's linked at the bottom of the terms page - https://bit-tech.net/terms/

I'm not posting this in any official capacity - @jenners has it right. Us mods are just a bunch of schmos with a different set of permissions on the forums. We don't represent the forums or the business in any official capacity, we just try to keep the peace and hold up the rules as best we can.

From a more generic GDPR standpoint - of course any request for official information, erasure etc should be directed to official channels. Asking via a forum post may as well be scribbling it on the back of a napkin and leaving it outside HQ.

Corky42 likes this.
  20. jinq-sea

Cheers, @Mister_Tad - I had just come here to post the very same links. I hadn't thought of the napkin-HQ quip though ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.