1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

SSL handshake issues between devices made by different manufacturers.

Wooooo.

..Shoot me. Right in the brain.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depending on the type of fly, you might have luck with a vinegar trap: get a glass, pour in some vinegar, add a bit of Fairy liquid. The flies are attracted to the vinegar 'cos it smells like rotting fruit (mostly 'cos, y'know, that's pretty much how you make vinegar), and the surfactants in the washing-up liquid reduce the surface tension so when they land they fall through and drown.

This same trick is why the phrase "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" (as in: you're more likely to get what you want if you're sweet rather than sour) is actually bunkum. You'll catch way more with vinegar than honey!

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

A bat in this bloody house. Again. It's the second time in a week.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nginx. Converting a site over to HTTPS and for some reason one of the images doesn't work in HTTPS. Every other image we've tested even from the same directory in the file structure work. we copied the image to a new file with .bak.jpg and it works perfectly. Just this one files doesn't work.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

First day back at work, the goalposts have been moved yet again so I'm assuming the request to have the goalposts put on wheels was approved.

Installed an "updated" version of citrix to a machine and a new certificate to get an application working. It works just you cant use the mouse it wont actually go onto the window, and it thinks its running in a resolution of 3153 X 886 X 16 BPP 16!!! DAFUQ urgh. "video mode has been restricted by system administrator" well that's me, I didn't restrict it. Bleugh Monday for you, currently debating taking a job in McDonalds to get out of this place.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Pulling out a more (much more) than decade old set of IDE archival drives to copy several terrabytes of animations and artwork.

17.2MB/s, Oh how SATA III and NVME have spoiled us.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Sounds like a hard coded image. :)

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I couldn't find it anywhere that would indicate that when using grep. Will have to have another look today.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If renaming the file works, why not just rename the file?

10. MLyons

It's an award image used in articles. Changing every articles HTML would be impracticable to say the least.

11. Gareth Halfacree

<twitch>

Why would you need to change the HTML? Either change the award image in the CMS, which should change all the articles automatically if it's got anything about it, or just say "sod it" and throw a rewrite rule into the server config. Job's a good 'un.

12. MLyons

Unfortunately it's for a different publication that doesn't have a nice CMS that allows us to easily do that. The rewrite rule was my first suggestion but it gave a too many redirects error.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Hmm - sounds like the rewrite rule wasn't right, 'cos it should only redirect once. I've done it before for hard-coded stuff I can't easily change, and it works a charm.
    Sounds like a job for sed, that. Or a better CMS, but sed's probably quicker for a one-off change.

14. MLyons

So I just looked this morning and the image is magically working with no changes made. We suspect something was going wrong with the cache.Very odd

15. Gareth Halfacree

Looks like my motherboard's dying. The on-board network went a while back, and I switched to a USB 3.0 Ethernet dongle. Now the two USB 3.0 ports on the rear have gone away after a reboot, which is super annoying given that pretty much everything was connected to one of 'em - keyboard and mouse included.

It's all working using the USB 2.0 ports, and - this being the really strange bit - the single USB 3.0 port at the front is working fine. Bah.

EDIT:
    Right, fixed. Turns out that some of my problems may have been related to the AMD-Vi IOMMU, 'cos shoving "iommu=soft" in my modeline has dramatically reduced boot times, restored the on-board Ethernet, and even made the USB 3.0 ports work again. I can put off upgrading for another couple of years - huzzah!

EDIT EDIT:
    Yeah, AMD-Vi support appears to be semi-shafted in the Linux kernel, presumably starting right around when I upgraded to 16.04 and noticed my Ethernet had died. No fix yet, beyond disabling AMD-Vi/booting with a software IOMMU. Poo-sticks.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2018
  16. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I am in a predicament with my current desktop.

Laptop out-performs it by a country mile, however, all of the software, email archive and documents are on that machine and I have it setup how I want it. It's downside is the performance.

Motherboard is on it's way out - anything but standard clock speed and default settings results in the motherboard not posting. The PSU is playing games during rebooting and the GPU blacks out every 2 - 3 minutes when connected to my 4K display, sometimes forcing me to set it at 1080p.

If i can get another 2 years out of this machine, I'll retire it. For now, there's the laptop for everything else.

17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Printed the perfect print last night, had the layers, azillion settings, heats, layers, fills all correct, set it to print another and when i wake up, stopped halfway and everythings gone to heck making me want to throw the damn thing out the window.

ugh

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Welcome to the world of 3D printers. I hope you like calibrating :grin:.

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

FTFY

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So my Grandfather died.

Not sure how I feel about that one, the last year of his life has been nothing but misery and pain, but on the other hand my Grandad died.