1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 1100/2000 Series Thread.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 7 Aug 2018.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

MLyons and The_Crapman like this.
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

With the 1080TI the Nvidia reference blower was pushed too far and the cards could not maintain their peak boost clocks, leaving the 1KG Triple slot Triple fan after market designs as the only viable option (besides watercooling).
    I bet that is the reason why some are spewing rumours now about Nividia supposedly ditching their blower design...

but personally I don't buy that particular rumour and I'm convinced Nvidia will still do a reference blower.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Maybe there'll be 2 reference cards?

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The boost clocks aren’t guaranteed and therefore it is performing perfectly in spec. It is when the cards drop below the stock non-turbo frequency that you’ve got an issue with cooling.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Technically correct but not how it worked out, Nvidia got panned universally for supposedly having a crap cooler.

6. TheMadDutchDude

That’s probably because people don’t know that. ;)

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Agreed, but as I said earlier, the whole thing probably explains why they came up with the rumour about Nvidia ditching the blower.

8. TheMadDutchDude

Very true, sir. Very true.

9. The_Crapman

I think the 'RTX' nomenclature stuff doing the rounds is bs. Far too close to Radon and the RX branding. If they wanted to separate the line into 2 tiers I think they'd be more likely to use GTS.

10. The_Crapman

Just saw a little 'teaser' video on instaham about the 20th Aug announcement. A few shadowy shots of some hsf fins which appeared to be in a blower cooler.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You were saying...

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I wasn't expecting dedicated hardware for RT this soon, I was expecting the first RTX support to be through repurposing of the Tensor cores. Nvidia seem to be bootstrapping real-time raytracing with the same aggression they did with CUDA: produce the hardware, and simultaneously work with developers on software to use that hardware (bypassing the chicken-and-egg problem). Their future VR rendering architecture may be less conceptual than initially thought.

13. The_Crapman

That's Quadro though, not 'normal consumer' cards. If you've handing over a few thousand quid for a card you're gonna know what you're getting.

Also more specifically the rumours were that there would be a 2 tier system employed; RTX for 70/80/ti and GTX for 60 and below. What's probably happened is that someone caught a sniff of the quadro and tried to apply it to consumer cards. We're new quadros even expected?

Last edited: 14 Aug 2018
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Allegedly the 1180 vs 2080 "mystery" has been solved in favour of 2080...

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...-video-deciphered-it-is-geforce-gtx-2080.html

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Intel about to reveal first discreet GPU's too, I wonder where they'll slot into the competition?

AMD really need a scaled-down Vega to replace the Polaris-based 570/580, something that could potentially compete with what the GTX/RTX 2060 will eventually be and not look they are being complacent. Make it GDDR6 based so Nvidia don't have that bragging right all to themselves, 48 compute units, a bit of a clock boost, should be able to hold it's own in raw performance... though it'll obviously be embarrassed in power efficiency.

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Intel are going after it really hard from what I've heard.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

there are some rumours of a 580 successor for the end of the year, but we all know how it goes with AMD GPUs, even the vaguest of timeframes needs to be taken with a mountain of salt.

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Price will be what I look at most. Are they going ***** out gouging and offer the xx80 for £700-800~ or more, with the Ti around the £1K and Titan for whatever silly number they pluck from their minds.

It would not surprise me one bit, and happy to be wrong about this obviously.

Go go Intel, let us have competition again!

20. The_Crapman

I've seen things suggesting $650 dollar, which converting to pounds, add vat, i before e, don't count moss in the bush, should be 600 ish.