1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Checkmate A1500 relaunched as crowdfunded PC, Amiga case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 29 Aug 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

159 GBP ex shipping? Come on!

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Saw a video on the original Checkmate only a few weeks back. Never heard of it before then!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, you say that...

checkmatead-amigacomputing-1990-april-issue31.jpg
    That's pricing for the original Checkmate A1500, from Amiga Computing Issue 31, April 1990 cover date. £199, which corrected for inflation is £430(!).

5. perplekks45

Impressive. Both the fact it was that expensive back then and that you can just pull that information out of a desk drawer.

Still way too much for what I think it is.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, I come prepared...

upload_2018-8-30_11-52-16.png

MLyons, edzieba, jb0 and 1 other person like this.
  7. perplekks45

There's just nothing for me to say.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

9. Gareth Halfacree

Unity - my desktop's still on 16.04LTS. I know there was a lot of hoo-ha when Unity launched, but I've kinda grown to like it. I'm hoping by the time I shift beyond it the community-driven Yunit project'll be a fair replacement, but if not I'll just have to jump somewhere else and get used to it - same as I did coming to Unity from Gnome2.

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You can apt install unity7-desktop on 18.04 and have it theoretically supported for the next 5 years.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Based on some of gareth's other screeshots and assuming he's still on 16.04 LTS it's probably Unity. though technically speaking it's a screenshot of Nautilus the defualt file manager of both environments [or it was last i checked].

EDIT: beaten to it by the man himself.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Well, there we go - solves that problem for another half-decade, doesn't it!

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Why do today what you can do in 5 years time, right?

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  14. clusteruk

clusteruk What's a Dremel?

Thanks Gareth for the great piece, it came as a surprise to have my little project in a great PC gamer/builder site.

I understand peoples comments because I would not spend over £100 on a case although there are loads to choose from, the most I ever spent was on a nice Define S.

However, small scale production is crazy expensive and on this batch I make very little but I get the moulds tooling finished. This will be more expensive than the mass produced cases for a while but who knows in the future.

To be clear I have built my perfect PC for VR and is really quiet, with CPU water cooling and a GTX 1080 while I save up for the 7nm GTX2180 :)
    Any way thanks.

https://www.amigasystems.com/IntroductionPC.aspx

Steve Jones

edzieba likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

No worries - I was a fan of the original (though never owned one, sadly), so when I saw the reboot I had to cover it!

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Loving those retro hard drive prices.

17. Gareth Halfacree

There's an interesting historical wrinkle, there: Amiga-compatible hard drives were always way, way more expensive than their IBM-compatible typically-MFM counterparts. I don't have any UK IBM-compatible-focus magazines from that era, sadly - and if anyone can suggest a source, let me know - but I do have this copy of the US BYTE Magazine from 1991:

upload_2018-9-6_8-55-6.png

In 1991, £1 was equal to $1.96 (or $1 was equal to £0.51, whatever.) 1991 was also the year VAT went up to 17.5% from 15% to cover the Poll Tax cuts. So, taking that into account, the 40MB Seagate ST251-1 would have been (235*0.51=119.85*1.175=) £140.82. Compare that to £499 for the ST506 (which wasn't actually an ST506 at all, 'cos an ST506 is 6MB - it was a drive that used the ST412 interface which people mistakenly called the "ST506 interface").

Yeah, Amiga owners used to get absolutely *rinsed*. Pretty much every other month you'd find someone in the letters page asking whether they could stick an MFM into their Amiga instead and save a fortune...

18. perplekks45

Are you saying Amiga back then was today's Apple?

19. Gareth Halfacree

Technically, Apple back then was today's Apple - literally. The Amiga, though, was by and large a victim of circumstance: it could do things IBM compatibles never could, and when it launched its pricing was pretty competitive. Trouble is, open architecture meant the IBM compatibles got faster, and cheaper, and better, and the Amiga... sort of didn't. At first, you didn't mind paying twice as much for your Amiga stuff 'cos it was at least twice as good as the IBM trash - but then the IBMs caught up, and the Amiga pricing didn't change. In fact, as time went on it got worse: the only way to make the Amigas better was to shove high-priced accelerator boards in 'em, and half the time if you were using it for professional work outside video production (fun fact: the computer graphics on both Knightmare and Catchphrase were Amiga-driven!) you had to buy a bridgeboard that cost nearly as much as buying a second-hand IBM compatible in the first place...

Yeah. The Amiga was super-clever at a time when IBM compatibles were super-dumb, but it just never really progressed. As more and more developers shifted focus to IBM compatibles (productivity) and consoles (games), the Amiga had a dwindling market - which meant prices stayed high, because you couldn't make up in volume what you lost in profit. And here we are today: everyone's on x86 and running Windows, which is great for compatibility and making developers' lives easier but rubbish from the perspective of fun (and security - a monoculture's always a bad idea!)

20. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

@Gareth Halfacree, I believe some of the special effects on early episodes of the Babylon 5 series were rendered on networked Amiga's...

Tags: Add Tags