1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Eye Floaters

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookie, 8 Aug 2018.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

As per title, anyone else have them? I have had them for years but they are starting to get on my nerves.Looking at laser options etc but putting the feelers out there for any tips on how others live with them.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Absolutely bloody billions of 'em. The joys of being short-sighted, that: the deformation tears the lining, which floats off. Haven't read much about lasering 'em out, though: last I heard the fix was to drain the fluid and floaters out of the eye and replace it with new, floater-free fluid.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Do they stick a silver coil in? Can you get neon fluid for the Mentat look?

Last edited: 8 Aug 2018
    The_Crapman likes this.
  4. Pookie

I think getting older has a lot to do with it too, I mange mine very well by having the brightness on my screens very low and wearing sunglasses when driving. They really only affect me when its bright.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

For people with extreme floaters the vitrious jelly in the eye can be removed and replaced with saline. But that is rather like treating a nettle rash with a skin graft, it also creates it's own problems further down the line.

If they're getting worse the first port of call is always the Optometrist, in case your retina's starting to peel.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've got 62 billion and 2. I've also got vitreous detachment. If floaters annoy you that would drive you mad, especially if both eyes are affected. Surprisingly common too apparently.

I had a retinal occlusion nearly 10 years ago and I asked my Consultant about dealing with floaters. At the time he said he didn't think the treatment worth the risk.

The Retinal occlusion was pretty much resolved with what at the time was a cancer treatment (Avastin) although it was a few years before that became apparent.

I've just remembered, a photo of one of my eyes used to be part of the Vision Express advertising as I was a crash test dummy when they started experimenting with taking close up photos as part of their service.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2018
  7. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Yes I have them too. I've had them for as long as I can remember. Never really looked into getting them removed as I just tend to ignore them. Have heard they do come back over time too thus is a waste of time getting them removed and going to all the hassle of draining ones eyes of all the fluid and then putting the fluid back again.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup. Some.

Don't bother me too much thankfully unless i look at a blue sky, try and focus on them and chase them on an infinite chase.

Tinnitus is more annoying.

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Both my worst fears!

10. Pookie

Having a consultation at Plymouth Nuffield to see if I can get laser treatment, pricey but it’s becoming a real problem for me now.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear for 3 1/2 years now. It is indeed annoying but, you just have to learn to live with it as there is nothing the quacks can do about it.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye over the years i've managed to ignore it.

I only notice that I do ignore it when i'm by the sea, the noise of the waves helps to cancel it all out and really soothe my mind.

13. Pookie

Well the Plymouth Nuffield wouldn’t do it, apparently part of my retina is a little thin and might not react well to laser treatment. Going to see what the London eye hospital can do. But a consultation is £300!