1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Simpsons beat them to it...

The_Crapman likes this.
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Apparently, the UK finally having to accept that it can only have the deal that Barnier offered since October 2016 is "outsmarting his bluff".

In other news: war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

3. RedFlames

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Sep 2018
  4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Saw this on OCUK forums.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering how annoying the voice of that one woman is brexit might just be an excuse for people to shun her...

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'd like to punch her. Really hard. Nothing to do with brexit, I just think she could do with a good taste of reality. "I'm too rich and famous to shun." :rollingeyes:

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The funny part is they can't see why they were shunned despite calling people 'filthy' remainers, telling people that they threw a huge temper tantrum, they're entitled, and many other insults. Despite loads of people proclaiming that the referendum was all about democracy it seems there's some people who don't have the faintest idea what democracy means.

Not wanting to tar everyone with the same brush but it seems mainly brexiters who don't understand that just because you win a vote that it doesn't mean you're entitled to throw insults and attempt to shut anyone up who dares to disagree with you, winning a vote is the easy part, if you don't bring people with you and don't deliver on your promises democracy will eventually bite you in the ass.

Although having thought about it some more i guess i shouldn't be surprised as the same people seem to think they weren't asked if they wanted to join the EU or sign a particular treaty, that the EU is a undemocratic bureaucracy despite having the chance to vote every 5 years for both MPs and MEPs.

Morning rant out the way. :) If you want a laugh try reading some of the comments on that YouTube video.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2018
  8. Nexxo

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter... QED.

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. Nexxo

Contrary to expectations --or perhaps exactly as expected-- the ERG did not publish its own Brexit master plan this weekend. The reason?

Basically they postponed publishing their plan because they could not agree on it, and because it would not survive scrutiny by the opposition.

Nonetheless, leaks from the first draft of the ERG Brexit master plan reveal:

- cutting income and capital gains tax, business rates and stamp duty
    - create an expeditionary military force to defend the Falklands
    - create a nuclear missile defence shield

Now... which of these three has anything to do with Brexit, or the EU? And more importantly: which one of these three will actually be implemented first and foremost, and which ones are just pie-in-the-sky distractions?

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Give them a chance, they've only had 25 years to come up with one.

I know it's been said before but the decision to call a referendum had nothing to do with Europe, it was because Cameron was losing control of the right wing elements within his own party and the media, he wanted to put an end the potential threat that UKIP posed to future electoral success.

The worst part is that some people (I'm looking at you Corbyn) still haven't cottoned onto this and are perfectly happy to go along with driving the country over a cliff in order to prevent the Conservatives from splitting in two.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

None of those three... but they also included this drivel:

Translation: "We want to eat the cake, have the cake and be be able to redefine what cake means whenever we feel like it and if we don't get that we have no plan b"

My fav part:
    Sure cut taxes and spend more on the military, that will create a "brexit bonus"... even season five Walter White would reject that as insane.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do the leaks mention how they'd tackle the Irish border enigma?

13. Nexxo

I think that was what the missile defence shield was for. :p

Apparently that, and the Falklands expeditionary force was what lost the support from Boris Johnson for the ERG plan, which is one of the reasons they are now not publishing it. That's right, it was too batshit crazy even for BoJo.

Instead there will now be a "programme of events" which will feature more criticism of the Chequers plan... But will not put forward an alternative plan, it seems.

Corky42 likes this.
  14. RedFlames

What's the quote? Somethingling like 'Rather to be silent and have everyone think you mad, than speak and confirm you're mad'...

But it was always going to be vague and nebulous [or outright non-existent], As soon as they commit to something or put it down on paper, it then gets subject to scrutiny and then everyone gets to see how mad they are/their plan is.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Same old fantasy as always, they propose doing all the checks away from the actual border through magical technology while ignoring that even if they had the technology to fill out all customs paperwork remotely in advance it would not eliminate the need to verify that the stuff crossing the border matches the paperwork...

16. Nexxo

They'll hire magical pixies to guard the invisible border. They'll ride Brexit unicorns and get paid in cake.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And Mexico will pay for it.:p

Seriously though, they just ran into the forest naked to look for said magical pixies without stopping to think if magical pixies would be fit for purpose or even exist.

18. Nexxo

Jacob Rees-Mogg is now strongly pushing the WTO option. I guess the ERG couldn't come up with a plan, so now they've decided that just crashing out is just fine.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2018
  19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I suspect he truly believes the WTO option is a perfectly fine thing to do, his level of understanding seems to be that of a preschooler, either that or he's trying to hoodwink people into believing that the WTO is a better supranational organisation and trade is only about tariffs that only make things more expensive for people.

Perhaps he should talk to the only other group who advocated leaving the EU and actual bothered coming up with a plan how to go about doing so, The Leave Alliance.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2018
  20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'll take option c:
    He believes we can just crash out, wait for the rest of the world to come begging on their knees and imposing agreements that are favourable only to the UK will be such a trivial formality it isn't even worth planning for.

Of course it won't work out that way as the notion of the USA or China begging for crumbs of UK trade and accepting whatever we say is so far out the realm of reality that I have no analogy for it, sorry.