1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News European Parliament votes to accept controversial copyright amendments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 12 Sep 2018.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It was probably Maybot's idea.

2. Dennis1234567

Dennis1234567 What's a Dremel?

So, if i'm a student, writer, journalist, law enforcement, tax man, EU commissioner i'm pretty well screwed. But if i'm a crook i'm laughing. Sounds just about right from the EU.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Probably best to find out if UK MEP's voted for or against it before getting excited, if both Labour and Conservative voted in favor, as i suspect they would have, the 29/03/19 isn't going to save you, if anything it will just set them free to have and even more extreme version, one that doesn't have to adhere to those annoying human rights laws.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I agree - because then being able to post Picard Facepalm memes will be the very least of our worries. "Adequate food" for all! Hooray!
    <waves, sobs>

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The official list doesn't break it down by country (Edit: I've gone through the list and bolded the UK ones and also added the constituencies to them) but rather by political group, but here are the names of the 438 idiots:

Voting record sauce:
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+PV+20180912+RES-RCV+DOC+PDF+V0//EN&language=EN

List of UK MEPs complete with mugshots, phone numbers and email addresses:
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/your-meps/uk_meps.html

Edit 2:

I've done a breakdown of the yes and no votes based on what party they align with in the UK:

In numbers:

Parties currently involved in UK government (or with a chance to win an election)
    Tories: 13 Yes vs 4 No
    Labour: 18 Yes vs 1 No
    DUP: 1 Yes vs 0 No

Only matter in Wales / Scotland / NI parties:
    Plaid: 0 Yes vs 1 No
    SNP: 0 Yes vs 2 No
    SF: 0 Yes vs 1 No

Irrelevant Parties:
    UKIP: 0 Yes vs 8 No
    Green: 0 Yes vs 3 No
    UUP: 1 Yes vs 0 No
    Undisclosed / none: 0 Yes vs 3 No

(Total number of UK MEPs is 73, the numbers don't add up to 73 since I can't be arsed to count those who couldn't be arsed to vote).

Last edited: 13 Sep 2018
    Corky42 likes this.
  7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Who are politicians supposed to serve?

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Their own best interest and whoever pays the best/highest bribes, obviousl----- Us, the voters. How can you even ask that? Are you a [enter random political group going against the grain here]?!

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Thanks for taking the time to do that, it pretty much confirms that if the UK legislated for a similar thing after 23:00 29/03/19 that it would pass with ease, not only that but without counting the exact numbers it seems we've got a larger proportion of politicians in favor of such measures than the EU average by quiet a way.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Of the 37 Tory + DUP and Labour MEPs who bothered to vote 32 voted yes, 5 no.
    Of the 664 EU MEPs who bothered to vote 438 voted yes, 226 no.

That makes approx 85% yes among Tory + DUP and Labour MEPs compared to all the EU MEPs where yes was "only" approx 66% of those who voted.

What is perhaps most interesting is that it was such a landslide for yes from the big parties while with the small and local parties that play no real role in the UK government it was an 18 - 1 (approx 95%) landslide for no.

Of course that includes votes from ukip who may well have voted no purely due to it being an EU idea rather than actually having voted no based on the stupidity of the idea.

But even if we assume for the sake of argument that all 8 ukip votes flipped to yes if someone other than the EU suggested the same idea that would still be 10 no and 9 yes, which would still be approx 53% no.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2018
Tags: Add Tags