1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The Avengers: Infinity War - 6/10

I mean.. It was okay? It was snazzy, as are all Marvel films owing to the huge budgets. Although Ruffalo in the Hulk Buster armour was really crappy. Worst effect in the whole film IMO.

Story seemed kind of.. Predictable and, once Grimace gets the green knuckle duster, kind of pants-pointless.

I finished thinking "Boy, I wish he'd done more of them over."

Giant Dinklage was kind of funny for a moment or three.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Deadpool 2 - 4/10

jesus, the first was a great middle finger to the superheroe genre but this was just terrible, i laughed in a few places but the script was just awful. real shame as i was looking forward to this.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

A Quiet Place 1/10

Ugh. Can't really elaborate without spoiling the movie, so...

It beggars belief that this movie gets 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. Perhaps it's because people don't stop to think about the utter absurdity of the premise, but still, I simply can't ignore the many plot holes, the annoyingly stupid characters, the unavoidably cheap jump scares, and the fact that the worst always seems to happen (like in the insipid Final Destination flicks). Oh... and we really need a scifi monster that's not a Demogorgon, for pity's sake.

I was looking forward to learning more about what the creatures were, what made them invulnerable, and how the film might resolve the conflict by the end of the narrative. What I got was...make a really high-frequency noise, and then blow the creature's head off with a 12-gauge. Job's a good un. What a pile of absolute garbage!

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

C'mon fellow Bit-Techers... do people not watch movies any more (or do I just watch too many)?

I decided to start a bit of a retro/cult binge, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Flight of the Navigator 6/10
    Great film from my childhood. Actually quite impressed by some of the SFX, which is good because the acting is not great (especially the lead) and script is a bit meh. Still love it though... maybe because young SJP is cute in it.

Masters of the Universe 7/10
    Apart from the blatantly plagiarised Star Wars costume designs, I actually love this movie.

Heavy Metal ?/10
    I really don't know what to say. It's just plain weird, but I guess most cult scifi classics are.

They Live 7/10
    I'm here to chew bubblegum and... you know the rest. Awesomely cringe-tastic 80s scifi romp with a very long fight scene somewhere in the middle.

Would welcome any suggestions. :D

goldstar0011 likes this.
  5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Incredibles 2 - OOOHH MY GOD!/10

It says a lot about Pixar's overall output that I spent part of this movie thinking it was just average, before I slapped myself and realised that it was in fact awesome, but sits somewhere in the middle of the Pixar scale. It's not Up, Wall-E or Coco, but it's not Cars either.

Very good, in places very, very funny but slightly predictable, another film where I guessed the plot from the villain's first scene.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2018
  6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Baby Driver 6/10
    Not bad but not brilliant either. opening car chase was very good tho.

Disenchantment 4/10
    Ouch, a few giggles but overall a very weak start.

Final Space 7/10
    Surprisingly good, (the) Gary is a little irritating in places and the constant use to try avoiding foul language is a little odd given how dark it is.

liratheal likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

How it ends - Should never have begun/10
    Don't watch this film. It's truly awful. Waited so long for a payoff and then it ends. Like goldilocks and the 3 bears ending before the bears get home.
    It's like dante's peak, but with all the exciting volcano bits happening in another film and we're left with some personality vacuums on a road trip.

Intron likes this.
  8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Thought Final Space was great, and agreed, I think Disenchantment was even less funny having just watched Final Space.

9. Intron

Intron What's a Dremel?

Yeah that film cheated me promised so much and failed to deliver!

10. Intron

Intron What's a Dremel?

UPGRADE - 7/10
    Interesting premise felt like it was set in a pre Blade runner esq world, I felt the story kinda struggled along at first but picks up and then kind of sets up predictable moments but then throws a curve ball on the outcome. the film genuinely surprised me at the end.

11. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Eight Men Out ... 8/10 !
    If you are not into baseball, you will probably not be remotely interested. Story of the 1919 baseball world series when the White Sox team took a dive.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ready Player One 5/10

It was... alright, I suppose. Tried to cram in too much pop culture, maybe to appease the tw@ts that think reciting it every five minutes gives them some cred - it just made it a bit tiresome. If you want a fun movie that references pop culture, go and re-watch Wreck-it Ralph.

Also, anyone think the girl's avatar looks a little too much like Shailene Woodley? Was there a casting change?

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Anon
    6/10

They managed to create an atmosphere as bland and unexciting as Clive Owen. Seriously, he's the same in every movie - literally the exact same I can't even..

Anyway, beyond the downside of him being in it it was not a bad movie, it had its moments and the premise was decent enough.

Singularity
    don't waste your time reading the title/10

This wasn't a film, this was a short story written by a 3 year old trying all of the crayons.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Eddie the Eagle - 8/10

I was expecting a good story, and wasn't wrong, all in all it was a much better movie than I expected.
    Didn't recognise Taron Egerton at all :grin:
    Only downpoint of the movie is the inaccurate display of ski Jumping, the V-style wasn't out when the movie played….then again, probably noone jumps the old style anymore and it's something only old gits like me would notice. :rollingeyes:

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Get outta here! Baby Driver is AWESOME. Genuinely surprised me how much I enjoyed it.

The Little Hours - Foul-mouthed nuns/10

Completely flew under the radar, I guess, but was actually really funny for the first half... then it got weird. Then it got funny again. Better film with nuns in than the next one...

The Nun - Actually praying they let it die/10

We all knew it would be average at best, but even then it failed to deliver. All the scary bits were in the trailer, the rest was just boring and slow. As a prequel, we all know what happens after, so there was no real revelation or tension. When a film makes you angry that you paid over £25 for 2 adult tickets, it's not a good endorsement, is it?

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

The Predator (2018)... 2/5.

Just a shambles of a film. Opened well, went downhill from there. Atrocious ending to it as well.

Too many cooks were in that kitchen.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Rebel! So bad it only got a score out of 5!

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Mission impossible fallout 6/10

Brain off and play the Tom Cruise game
    Tom Cruise runs - shot
    Tom Cruise jumps off something - down your drink
    Tom Cruise on a motorbike - shot
    Tom Cruise giving startled expression - down you drink
    Person pulls off a rubber mask - down your drink

Become drunk forget film

The_Crapman and Byron C like this.
  19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Fair score IMO. Just watched this last night. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be given the hype, but it was enjoyable enough and had plenty action to keep the viewer interested if not fully subscribed.

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Solo ?/10

It's either 100% awesome because it looks so pretty and 6yo Star Wars loving me would kill me if I dumped some hate on it.

Or it's a bloody awful movie that devalues everything it touches, adds nothing of value and wasn't needed.

You okay with me believing both?