1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Well I liked it :D

My biggest issue is that by people deliberately not watching it because Star Wars fans tend to suck it might stop other origin stories which I was looking forward to (but clearly others were not)

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's your typical by the numbers origin story where the hero becomes the hero over the course of a long weekend (or a few weeks in this case).

It's literally this is the scene where he gets his iconic DL44 blaster, this is the scene where he meets Chewie, this is the scene where he wins Chewies loyalty, this is the scene where he grows a conscience, this is the scene where he gets The Falcon, this is the scene where he gets his iconic jacket, this is the scene where he meets Lando.

Han in A new Hope has a lifetime's worth of mysterious past that we only ever gets snippets into. In Solo it's just a box ticking excersize rather than an actual story, there is a lot to be said for leaving a mysterious character mysterious (see Bobba Fett for further examples).

3. GeorgeStorm

Just shows how different people are, I don't think it's an amazing film, but I liked those bits, you didn't have to watch it if you wanted things to remain a mystery after all, what else would you expect from an origin film.

4. fix-the-spade

Can I be that guy and say that I don't give a flying sh't about origin stories? We already know how the story ends, so what does telling us frame by frame how we got to that point serve?

The only exception I can think of would be Ewan Mcgregor as middle aged Obi Wan commiting various acts of murder and subterfuge to ensure that nobody ever reports back to The Empire that Anakin Skywalker's stepfather suddenly has a grandson. Even then it has no narrative purpose, because we know he succeeds and we know what happens to the child... and they already did it in Rebels, with Darth Maul no less.

To be 'that guy' even more it wouldn't upset me to see Disney take a break from making Star Wars films after Episode IX.

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. fix-the-spade

A new perspective on the character we hadn't seen before. Like young Han Solo being an utter and unrepentant *******. That would have been pretty cool.

6. GeorgeStorm

There's nothing wrong with not caring about origin films, but then I don't understand why people then watch them to moan about them. :p

7. fix-the-spade

1) I'm British
    2) Not only am I British, I'm a Northerner
    3) Not only am I a Northerner, I'm a Yorkshireman.
    4) Films must be watched to form an opinion, every so often something comes out that is actually pretty great, despite being all the things I don't look for in a movie. Rogue One was a prequel after all and I really enjoyed that.

boiled_elephant, IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Did you walk 15 miles through t' snow to watch it, after a 20 hour day in t' coal mine? :winking:

I dislike 'by the numbers' films and films that mess with an already established character in the same time thread. If you're completely rewriting it a la reboots, then go nuts, really make it different, but don't tell us the devil is just a misunderstood good guy cause we know he's clearly not.

I've not watched solo. I hated force awakens because it was just a remake of a new hope, I really liked rogue one and it gave me renewed vigour for the next instalment, but then was bored to death with sheer pointlessness and stupidity in last jedi.

On a separate note, does anyone else think films are too long now? When fast&furious films are heading towards the 2 1/2 hour mark, you know it's gone too far. Most films should really only be 90-100 minutes long. If you're going beyond that there best be a good reason and not just a load of pointless filler that should have been left on the cutting floor (I'm looking at you Rose and Finn) that you couldn't be bothered to cut.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

20 hours?

I get woken up before I go to bed, then beaten to death before I have to work 56 hours a day in t'coal mine 12 days a week.

Don't know you're born you lot.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2018
    IanW, LennyRhys, Gunsmith and 3 others like this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can enjoy a 3 hour film. If, like you say, it's not two hours of dross filler.

On the other hand, there are several films that could do with being a shade longer - justice League, for example, could have done with a bit longer to establish characters better and feel less rushed. Also about three more drafts of the script and plot.. and maybe another month in the visual effects department..

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Was that before or after Boycotts Grandma hit 300 hundred off a single over with a stick of rhubarb?

IanW and adidan like this.
  12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The Predator Sh!te/10

Easily the worst film featuring a Predator

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

It can't possibly be worse than Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem ... it's just not possible!

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 6.5/10

Tom Cruise running. Tom Cruise dangling from things up high. Tom Cruise riding a motorcycle. Tom Cruise shooting guns. It does what you expect it to do, and it does it well. It's fun. And that cliff bit at the end was filmed on location in Norway.

Solo: A Star Wars story - It's Star Wars/10

So I quite enjoyed it. Is this how I imagined Han Solos origin story? No it is not, but I still enjoyed it. It still ticks enough of my Star Wars boxes for me to want more.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

If that's the case then it must be truly awful. The first AvP film was particularly bad; the second was (thankfully) a bit better but still not great; and Predators was actually half-decent. It's a shame they can't make a good movie with such an awesome alien character design and such potential.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh yeah...AvP. The first AvP film is probably the worst thing I've ever experienced that wasn't directed by M Night Shyamalan.

Re: Solo, I'm on the "I won't like it, so I didn't watch it" train. It looks boring, I'm not interested in Han's origin story, I can't see how it will contain anything interesting that isn't just predictable fan service.

It's a recurrence of one of the most fundamental problems with the prequel trilogy: you already know where it's going. That defuses about 90% of the tension and intrigue straight off the bat. At least Rogue One was dealing with characters we hadn't met before, and could therefore be enjoyed as a separate story. I already know who Han is and where he ends up, so I don't care.

edit - also I didn't realise that faggot had been removed from/missed by the site filters, but I'm delighted it has. I get one of my favourite words back.

16. GeorgeStorm

Just as a side note, I have no love for Han whatsoever, and nor did I care about where he came from etc, I went purely from a 'ooh Star Wars :D' angle :D

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Were the explosions and spaceships pretty enough to stand up on their own? :D

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No, AVP2 was just a bad film from inspiration to execution. The Predator has the makings of a decent film and seemingly went out of its way to drill down into that foundation and plant enough explosives to blow it to dust.

It had a LOT of potential but feels like it was written, directed and edited by committee. I'd recommend watching it, if only so you can see just how hard they screwed the pooch on this one.

19. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well of course I'm going to watch it; it has Predators in it after all. But consider my expectations significantly lowered.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the best solution to all the **** regarding the predator is to simply ignore it and watch the original 87. tbh if I was running a cinema id have a screen just showing the original.

[ZiiP] NaloaC and goldstar0011 like this.