1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL The Verge Bashing

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Crapman, 28 Sep 2018.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

What's with all the The Verge bashing of late? Gamers Nexus, Jayz2cents, Tweaktown, even our very own Bit-tech have climbed on the bandwagon.
    [​IMG]

I wasn't even particularly conscious of their presence previous, although probably knew of their existence.

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Perhaps it's got something to do with their recent "How to build a custom PC" article? There was a video included in the article, but it's been taken down and the article re-written. In Verge's own words:
    EDIT: Wow, just wow. You can find re-uploaded versions of the video - don't know how long those will last! - but in the first minute, he's talked about anti-static straps, and just put on a standard rubber charity bracelet :eeek::wallbash:

Last edited: 28 Sep 2018
    The_Crapman likes this.
  3. The_Crapman

Ah right thanks. That's not great, I'll have a look later for a giggle.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Look at the size of that case, then look at that cable management. That's absolutely appalling. I use a Fractal Define Mini, which is literally half the size of that thing, and there's nary a cable to be seen on the motherboard side - granted, 'cos they're all crammed inside the other side panel in such a way that I need three hands to hold the thing back on while screwing it in, but at least they're out of sight!

I'm both amazed that the original video and supporting article made it through the editorial process without anyone saying "hang on a minute," and that the article is still up in its current form with imagery like that. If I'd turned in something like that - and I did a very similar "how to build a custom PC" piece for Linux User & Developer a few years back - I'd have been told to stop taking the pish.

EDIT:
    "I work for a big publication, basically I made a PC video and some very angry nerds were very angry with how I built the computer, but it still works, so... And everything they mentioned was corrected after the fact, as well, but it's not my first computer, and, you know, it still [expletive] works, it's a better computer than probably what most of them have. That might be elitist, but it's the truth."

Oh, sweetheart...

EDIT EDIT:
    Breakdown of problems with the video here, with the major ones highlighted in red, and The Verge's EIC describing them as "minor factual errors". Yeah, I'd say The Verge earned this one.

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's bad, oh sooooo bad. The IO shield is now the "brace", he wasn't sure whether that went at the "back?" of the computer, there are rubber pads under the PSU to stop it shorting on the case, he puts the "VPU" in the top slot just because it looks nicer that way, installs the radiator without any fans (the screws are extra long because they have to go all the way "through the entire frame of the cooler") and looks like he uses the whole tube of thermal paste (as well as the paste that's already on the CPU block already). Oh, and he's really, really excited about his i7 hex-core.

And, of course, don't forget the most important part of building a PC: you'll need a table :sigh:

EDIT: It's like a car crash. I know it's bad, but I just can't help myself watch it again and again.

6. The_Crapman

JTFC! Was the article written by someone who'd only ever read about pc's and not seen or touched one before?

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I feel like I've missed out on that video - does anyone have a link handy of an unmolested version that isn't a reaction or commentator video?

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It wasn't just a bad video, the placement of the PSU so the fan got no air was troubling.

On top of the misinformation, the doubling up of thermal paste, missing screw on the cpu cooler, the ram placement, cable management and so on.

I think the main reason it got such a response was initially they just disabled likes/dislikes/comments but left it up. I hate to think anybody followed it word for word.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have also missed this trainwreck. But reading the tweet Gareth linked.. It sounds like a doozy.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Here ya go:

IanW, Mr_Mistoffelees and The_Crapman like this.
  11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Wow. That really is a thing of beauty.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

13. liratheal

Oh my. That's a lot of internal screaming.

14. The_Crapman

Anti **** bracelet :rollingeyes:
    Tweezers :duh:
    Swiss army knife that hopefully has a Philips head :jawdrop:
    Don't screw too hard :hehe:
    Brace :sigh:
    Hammer it in:naughty:
    Having to worry about extra wires and the case getting really messy:eyebrow:
    Choose your lane carefully, watch for oncoming traffic:nono:
    Brackets. So many many brackets. :eeek:
    Brick.
    [​IMG]
    Slide it in till you have a nice tight fit, get it right up against the frame and then screw:eyebrow:
    [​IMG]
    Really long screws :wallbash:
    Velcro cables:oldconfused:
    Heart or brain, you know, whatever. (cause his brain was obviously replaced with, you know, whatever:blah:)
    Let's just shove a pointy edge into the sensitive side of the cpu. Nothing to break there :worried:
    You're a tool:geek:
    That looks like how I apply TIM :hehe::lol::hehe:
    WTF is that keyboard :nono:
    Playing LOL on a $2k rig :thumb:

That HAD to be a piss take that was never meant to see the light of day surely? I mean, innuendo bingo with Mr Camp. Or maybe he was quitting, had win the lottery or something. Just. Wow.

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Honestly I think that video was a set up at the poor guy presenting it's expense.

He's a good presenter, speaks clearly even with the lisp, smiles for the camera, doesn't do the rabbit in headlights stare. But he clearly doesn't know the first thing about computers. With all the people on the credits one of hem had to know how much of a mess he was making and yet they all just let him do it, then published it millions of subscribers.

I'd love to know why they all hate him that much, they knew what they had done when they disabled comments.

PS, my favourite bit is 'the brace' it's essential for motherboard alignment people!

16. liratheal

Having now seen how the guy behaves elsewhere, I think he's just .. Kind of a dick who misrepresents his level of knowledge.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In that case everything makes sense.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is a higher end Corsair PSU, so the fan won't even start at low loads either way, so it is perhaps the least fatal mistake due to lucky circumstance (don't get me wrong, it is still an atrocious mistake that should never be made, much less in something pretending to be some sort of guide).

Using too long screws on the rad on other hand...

19. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

I’m interested in the thought behind this video.

On the one hand, he could genuinely be really crap at building pc’s and for some reason (trying not to be cynical so I’ll leave the reasoning up to you) it was uploaded.

On the other hand, a pc build is a pc build. Done well - no one will bat an eye lid in the communities we are in - people new to pc building may see it but really, we wouldn’t care that much. Now do a well produced, really crappy pc build, with hardware billed as ‘top of the range’ and let the internet loose its s**t. Suddenly, for better or for worse, everyone in the ‘pc elite’ world knows who The Verge is and is talking about them....

TL:DR - someone intentionally sunk his battleship and or publicity stunt

20. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Thanks for that, a real treat. I settled down to watch it with a nice cup of tea and cake - didn't really need the cake as the sweet feeling of superior smugness was enough:grin:

I get that it was obviously aimed at those new to building PC's, but if you're going to try to 'educate' people on a subject then check facts for goodness sake.

Also, nitpicking I know, but looks like he ripped the Corsair box right open to get the bits?