1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Down to 208 lbs and stalled. Exercise is hell when you need both hips replaced. Speaking of, at least my weight is turning into a girlish figure, so that's good. 208 and 6'4" isn't too bad though.

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

So I was talking to a Garmin rep last year and we talked about step counters and the magic 10000 steps number is just an arbitrary figure that an early step counter developer plucked out of his or her arse. Yes, doing 10k steps is better than doing 5k but don't focus on the 'magic number'. As long as you're active, that's the important thing - and if you can't be active on particular days, cut your meal calories down so you're still in calorie deficit.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, so far I've managed to gain two kilos. So, that's nice.

I'm choosing to assume it's because I'm cultivating mass.

upload_2018-9-25_9-6-48.png

Seems a bit unfair, 'cos I've not gone above 1500 calories on a single day, I've hit roughly 50:30:20 each time, and I've been doing at least 200 calories of additional exercise I'm not even adding to the caloric allowance. Still, I'mma assume it's just one step on my journey from tiny twink to muscle-bound freak.

[​IMG]

Sentinel-R1 and LennyRhys like this.
  4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Smart watch has borked itself for what appears to be the last time. Since July Fitbit have had loads of syncing issues between their app and device so you end up with days on end of zero data. Today I could feel a tingling under the watch took it off to find a brooze goo coming from it washed it off my arm and seems OK.

Not overly impressed with Fitbit seems they only care about the top of the line model users. Any suggestions for alternatives?

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If it's not been a consistent gain staying for multiple days I would suggest it's probably mainly increased water retention due to change in diet.

Don't let yourself be disheartened by short term issues considering it's a long term aim :)
    (otherwise I would have given up gymming a long time ago hah!)

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But I want to be thin nooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

MLyons, goldstar0011 and GeorgeStorm like this.
  7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They sell pills for that... :lol:

8. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Aye that make you shite through the eye of a needle. Alternatively I hear amphetamine works, then the nhs decided it was actually killing people as a diet pill, consider it permanent weight loss :worried:

9. Gareth Halfacree

There is actually a legit diet pill: 2,4-Dinetrophenol, a pesticide which when ingested causes a dramatic increase in the body's basal metabolic rate. Burn 3,000 calories just sat there!

...then die because it LITERALLY COOKS YOUR INSIDES. Like, 44°C.

I wanna be thin, but I ain't takin' flamin' DNP. Hell, I avoid the diet stuff with caffeine in it 'cos it makes me twitchy...

10. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Just had a read of that, it sounds a thoroughly unpleasant way to go! If it's any consolation I feel your pain, the middle age spread has well and truly set in, it sort of creeps up on you and then....BAM!...one day you notice...

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I dropped Fitbit like a bad habit after the first one refused to charge after 3 months and then the second did the same within 6 - and it wasn't a basic model either, top end at the time - Surge.

I'm now extremely happily using a Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro. Fully waterproof with swim tracking and it's never gone wrong, not even once. Customisable watch faces let me change the display to suit my activity making it easier to read during exerting exercise. Cheap enough to replace if damaged during sports, unlike an Apple watch. Wouldn't use anything else at the moment!

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I lost 11.5kg. I'm now sitting pretty much in the middle of the BMI range for my height/weight. I didn't think I would be able to get down to this weight when I started. I believe I'm not snoring as much too which is great. I'm also much happier with how I look as well.

Yaka likes this.
  13. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Almost 3 weeks since I've touched an energy drink, I don't really have a want for it at all anymore. Over the course of 2018 I noticed myself getting more and more padded in the torso region than I'd like to be. Sometimes shamelessly I'd have a couple in a day followed by coke, pepsi, chocolate, crisps and generally terrible food. Tired new parent who has historically been a lazy git and the tuck shop at work is literally in my eye line, no good combo.... I've opted for a gradual but permanent change, I think that's where a lot of people fail. cutting everything out of their diet immediately, becoming hungry, moody and generally dissatisfied with their new lifestyle.

I got up this morning and measured 14st 9lbs which is the lightest I've been in quite a while and given at my prime fitness I was approximately 13st its easy to see where I've let myself go.... at the worst it was 15st 6lbs. I've done no planned exercise in that time, just cut out the crap and tried to work at my general habits. I've got a long way to go but I hope to reach summer and feel comfortable wearing a T-shirt and not catch my reflection thinking "Nice tits sprouting there man" I think I embraced the dad bod a little more than recommended.....

Next step is to refrain from any chocolate throughout the week, my record was five chocolate bars in the same day... occasionally I'll have the odd one if I'm hungry but that will soon be replaced by healthy snacking. (the tuck shop is literally ALL bad food before anyone suggests picking up a healthier option) Its getting into the habit of packing a full decent lunch with healthy snack options I'll choose to eat over a wispa gold (Ahhh yeah wispa gold....)

Target is 13st by June/July/August time - I'm not setting myself any strict deadline but as long as I follow a downwards trajectory I'll be okay no matter how steady it may be. I've got some weight training supplies for the odd occasion I do find the time to get a session in...

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The Christmas Kilos / Winter Weight got me hard. I was on track down from 83KG to 75.5KG, but two weeks back in the Netherlands brought me back up to 78KG.

Now I'm struggling to reduce my food intake again. Then I have to convert the remaining weight from fat to muscle.

One thing at a time.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Try not to set a target weight to get down to. That's where a lot of people wrongly focus. As you become fitter, you'll replace fat with muscle and muscle weighs more than fat!

If your target is purely weight loss, set yourself a clothes size goal instead. Get a tape measure and measure your waist, chest and neck (for men). As your diet progresses and your training increases, track these core measurements and take weekly photographs of yourself with your top off. It's amazing how much of a boost you can get if you're having a tough month, looking back at where you were when you started.

16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

due to a couple of injury's in the past year my wight loss as slowed to roughly 1.5lbs a week some times even less. i have still been doing weights but little to no, and based on the docs recommendation taking whey protein as i was very worried about loose/excess skin but so far very little signs of it but the doc has mentioned ive been very lucky but to expect some at least when go closer to my target.i am hoping 3-4 stones lighter by end of summer long as i stay injury free.

when i started i never thought i would shred over 11 stones, be just eating one meal a day, be rid of the health is.sues i thought would plague the rest of my life, have zero brain fog, and best of all i can play game of footy in the park with my kids and not feel like im gonna die

17. legoman

Back to where I was this time last year, well was lost a bit. Now I have some slightly better methods on measuring plus set some achievable goals, reaching said goals give a reward blah blah blah.

Goal 79Kg

Last Sunday - 88.8 Kg
    This Sunday - 87.7Kg

Muscle mass is the fun one currently sat at 59.8Kg. BMR is pretty meh so working on boosting that by walking an drinking more, apparently my "ideal" weight is 73Kg which is a non starter for me.

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Unless you're on the slim side of the median, BMI is a load of bollocks. Don't waste a single worry bead on it. All our military physical training instructors are overweight or obese according to BMI. We don't use it as a stat any more, haven't for years.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  19. legoman

Yeah my BMI will never work as I would have to loose a load of muscle mass for it to work, that aint happening!

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  20. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

My body shape/build will never allow for me to have a 'good' BMI... BMI is flawed! :D