1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Who's that hairy skinny person?

The_Crapman likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah wtf? As soon as I hit 40 my eyebrows grew a mind of their own and my ears look like ewoks. Grey ones ! I had to shave my ear lobes whilst I was on holiday I looked like catweazle ffs.

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I don't have a limit, it depends on the conditions such as the road, the weather, junctions, cars on the road, pedestrians around, time of day etc etc.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Everyone thinks they're the safest driver in the world... right up until the impact. Are you a better driver than Ayrton Senna, do you think? 'cos with all his training that wall didn't get the memo.

Don't. Speed. It's not effin' hard, people.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

How comes? Just don't care about speed limits?

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Can you honestly say you never exceed the speed limit, ever?

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

No and I wasn't aware I'd suggested that.

As Byron said, you can easily speed without even realising it, but that's quite different to not caring about it and purely going from your opinion of the circumstances around you. At least it is to me, maybe I'm in the minority.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can you honestly say there's no difference between "I accidentally went a few miles per hour over the posted limit once" and "I don't have a limit [to the speed I think is reasonable to drive over the posted limit, 'cos I'm ace me]?"

(Also, I can truthfully say I have never gone over the speed limit even once.

'cos I don't drive.)

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

No, I care about limits, I wouldn't have had a clean licence for 28 odd years if I didn't, but they aren't the bee all and end all.
    A 20mph limit around schools is a good thing, but should it apply at 5am
    A 50mph limit due to pollution isn't a safety issue
    Variable speed limits on 'smart' motorways aren't set with current traffic levels in mind
    Out fastest roads are our safest roads and the majority who use them exceed the limit by a good 10 - 20 mph every time they use them, there were even talks to get the limit increased.
    And let's not forget that when discussing me and my attitude to limits I also use the same risk assessment I use to exceed them to drive under them

10. Gareth Halfacree

You could very well not care about limits and still have a clean licence if you care about being caught.

Call me crazy, but I find that a better way to approach things is to just, y'know, obey the law. If I disagree with the law, I'll campaign to get it changed - I certainly won't just ignore it 'cos I Know Better. If I want to get somewhere earlier, I'll set off earlier.

In before "hurr, durr, you don't drive, you don't understand," one of the biggest reasons I don't drive is because the roads are absolutely filled with people who "know better" and treat laws as guidelines - and I don't want to be the one in front of 'em when they finally find out that their skills aren't quite at the level they thought (per Senna.)

Funnily enough, and I swear I'm not making this up for effect, as I was typing this out I heard the tell-tale "screech-prolonged-honk" of a car on the long, straight road at the bottom of my street finding out that there's a reason it's a 30 limit (because there are side-streets people pull out of) and not the 50 they feel would be more appropriate for their 'skills'. It's a sound with which I'm very, very familiar.

11. Vault-Tec

When I drove I never exceeded the limit in any townships. You couldn't, because they had a lazer in place that would record your time of entry into the twp, then the time of exit (if you didn't stop) which would then work out how fast you were going.

However, I did use to set my cruise control to 70 when doing 550 mile+ trips. Mostly because some of the roads out there are 80 miles long dead straight. So 55 seemed a bit odd to me. The car would maintain around 65, depending on climb/drop. that was enough for me. It was only a 4 speed trans, so would howl like a howler monkey if you went any faster. Was quick up to 60, though.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good luck convincing a judge of some of these arguments or getting to sleep at night if you mow someone down.

Yeah those few miles an hour may not have made a difference but, then again, maybe they would.

13. Vault-Tec

The roads I used to speed on were highways, inaccessible to pedestrians. And tbh? at those speeds I was barely keeping up with traffic. Not using that as an excuse of course. Some states had a 70 limit as well.

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

And in the middle of the day on what I assume is a residential road they are taking the piss and should stick to the limit or drive below it and have better forward planning and pay more attention.
    You'll get no argument from me there.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I pay less attention to speed limits the further I get from civilisation. Although, the inverse is also true - The less I know the road, the more I pay attention to the posted speed limits. Usually considerably lower speed than said speed limit.

That said, where 70 seems ridiculous in some instances, our roads are generally not good enough to be confident there's not a pothole, sunk piece of tarmac, or something in the road.

There's a pair of roads into Lichfield that perplex me. One's 50, one's 60 - They're almost parallel, they're about the same length, and they have about the same number of joining roads, and pretty much exactly the same number of houses and businesses (One and three, respectively).

No one I've ever asked can explain why one is lower than the other.

16. Vault-Tec

It's not just visible hazards man. Like, potholes and etc. It's also the level of the road. There is a vid of a guy speeding in a Lambo on pootube and he meets a section of the road where you would swear it was level. Only it wasn't, and he crashed.

The autobahns are laid in foot thick sections. Perfectly level. Ours? lol.

liratheal likes this.
  17. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

The problem with speed limits is they are often set by politicians rather than engineers, so they are subject to lobby groups and one bad accident that a politician vows to ensure never happens again by lowering the speed limit. That being said, I'd like self driving cars, immediately, if not sooner; humans are awful drivers.

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

That's a poor comment. Officially the cause of Senna's crash was mechanical failure and, don't forget, it happened on the way into a bend at 191mph and, although he did brake hard for 2 seconds, he had no chance of avoiding the impact.

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Speed limits are guidelines, not targets..... Or so i'm told.

Sam

20. Gareth Halfacree

Whereas your vehicle can never experience mechanical failure? If I had the choice between hitting a wall at 30 miles per hour (the legal limit on this theoretical road) and 50 miles per hour because something important in my car had chosen that moment to go 'ping', I'd choose the former - regardless of the time of day, presence or absence of pedestrians, or whether I had been trained to Senna's level or it was the first day after passing my test.

Don't. Speed.

The point of the Senna story was that a crash can happen to anyone, regardless of their self-perceived and/or actual levels of skill. If Senna can smack into a wall because something broke in his constantly-maintained-by-a-team-of-experts checked-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life cost-more-than-your-house monitored-at-all-times race car, it can definitely happen to Joe Blogs in his decade-old Micra in which he taped over the Engine Warning light six months ago.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2018
    MLyons likes this.