1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 10 October 2018 Update hit by apparent data loss bug

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Oct 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

*slow clap*.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Called it.

This is, what, the third update in a row that has had major, major issues for a (significant) percentage of users? It's like Microsoft aren't even trying. I don't mind updates, but at least give us the chance to opt out of the damned things! I loathe this new release model, which seems to revolve around the fact that consumers in the 21st century seem to have an odd combination of ADD and narcolepsy, where the "new shiny" will distract them for long enough that they'll forget the issues by falling unconscious until the next "new shiny". But to be frank, the response of most consumers to Apple/Google/Facebook/Twitter and the related news cycle seems to do nothing to convince me that this is not the case...

On that note, have they pulled it, because I tried to update my laptop today and it couldn't find the 1809 build...? And this is not an Intel system.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They do. They're user-exposed settings, with clear descriptions, and even in the shiny new Settings pane rather than needing to set a registry key or group policy.
    [​IMG]

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Not on a Home version of Windows, the version that most home users will be running and the less technically savvy will be on. They can of course set the network to metered, tell windows not to download updates on a metered connection and pray it actually listens to the settings the user has set.

Edit: A delay is also not an opt out.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I fixed my update issue too. Now if I could only get rid of the nagging popup about it not being able to connect to the internet...

7. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Weirdly I had that too. For the first day i had all kinds of connection issues. It went away though. Frankly i'm not liking how my PC is acting after the update. I'll wait a week or so and do a clean install with the updated media tool.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Answering my own question; yes, Microsoft have officially pulled build 1809 due to this "bug" of files pulling disappearing acts.

And now, Microsoft, do you understand why skipping testing is a very dumb idea? What utterly braindead incompetent decided that this early push to release was a good idea? Because you need to remove them from the process of making that decision.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

But it saves time. And money! Won't you think about the money?! :p:

10. Paradigm Shifter

I do think about the money! I think about the money I've spent on Windows and associated software (Office) and wonder, almost every time there is an update, whether someone at Microsoft is either a) having a laugh at customers expense, b) extracting dissolved urea, c) genuinely that incompetent or d) all of the above.

It won't save time or money at all if this kind of thing keep happening and Microsoft get hit with a lawsuit. I wonder if "deleting my files just by updating" could be considered "unfit for purpose"?

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

All I can say is. After installing it on two devices and one of them tanking completely.

I'm glad it's been pulled.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Is there not a caveat somewhere in there that says you may lose files though?

13. Paradigm Shifter

Possibly in the fine print, but in the big "advertising" bits that play, I'm sure in the past Microsoft have said things like, "When you finish updating, all your files will still be right where you left them so you can get right back to work..." (or words to that effect...) I've not tested 1809 yet. Thank God.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm sure it takes an immense amount of effort to create and update an OS but surely the first rule of updating is 'DO NOT DELETE ALL THE THINGS!'.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, it happens.

adidan and edzieba like this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I wasn't suggesting MS has the monopoly of FUBARs :)

Tags: Add Tags