1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Cheap laptop that can charge through USB-PD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragunovHUN, 11 Oct 2018.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I've been looking at the Xiaomi Notebook Pro which is quite a nice bit of kit, but I think I would rather have something that can't game but costs less as long as it provides a usable desktop experience (i.e. probably not an atom?) The Xiaomi would also have no warranty to speak of.

All I really need is USB-PD so I can hoard powerbanks and get office work done. I guess I'm looking in the 13-15" range, give or take. Video out through a tiny HDMI or DP would be nice but not necessary.

I hardly ever look at the laptop market so you guys are my best hope.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Your other option is a more expensive Ultrabook-style device which has enough internal battery life to mean you don't need external power sources: I can get 18 hours comfortably from my XPS13 9360, despite being the more powerful Core i7 version (but with the 1080p screen, 'cos I ain't having a 4K 13" display.)

DragunovHUN likes this.
  3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Funny you should mention that, earlier this year I was absolutely in love with the 9370, but that starts at like 1500 pounds here. I could technically spring for it, just shelling out the price of a very decent gaming rig still feels weird to me, especially with the decreased serviceability.

18 hours is very impressive, I've heard figures like 10-12 in normal usage, whatever that means. I might actually need more as I'm planning to have the full wiring of my house redone and I work from home, but it looks like the XPS also might have USB-PD to go with the excellent internal battery life.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bear in mind I'm running Linux on mine, rather than Windows. I was getting about 13 out of the box, and got it up to 18 with a little tweaking (and might be able to squeeze it a bit further if I could be bothered to mess around undervolting the CPU.)
    The nice thing about the XPS13 (at least, the 9360) is that it's surprisingly serviceable: You can pop off the back panel and replace the battery, Wi-Fi card, and SSD - just not the CPU or RAM.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2018
    DragunovHUN likes this.