1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Not really. But then it would depend on your perspective. I could try and explain what I mean, but I can see from your posts that you have your own perspective and it is rather rigid. So I won't bother. I mean no offense by the way. I am just not interested in a debate. Take my opinion for what you will. :)

2. rollo

rollo Modder

I remember saying about 3 years back this game is along way off with 2020 been a more realistic deadline for launch and been shot down by multiple people.

I do not personally think we will ever see his true vision launched. If I had spent $1000s on this now I might be a bit worried.

As it is I have spent probably less than £30

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I concur that a proper remaster of Freelancer (don't mess with any of the gameplay mechanics, just a visual/UI/sound overhaul) would make Chris Roberts sweat even more than the growing discontent of early backers.

It would also absorb a considerable amount of my time.

Yaka likes this.
  4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Genuinely looking forward to this, when it finally makes release.

5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They should just cut their losses and release it as a CGI film. I'd watch that.

EDIT: Incidentally, I got a bunch of press releases from CIG/RSI about 3.3 (which should, of course, be 0.3.3) and the trailer. I nearly wrote a news article up on the latter, but held off when I saw the bit that said, and I paraphrase, "here's a pretty video but we're still not telling you when the game is likely to come out, you'll hear more about that in December."

Fine. I'll write about it in December, then.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2018
  7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Call from agent: ... "They'll give me how much to do a few days voice work and motion capture?! Of course it's a yes."

Last edited: 12 Oct 2018
    SuperHans123 likes this.
  8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Snake oil is far easier to source and cheaper to produce :thumb:

SuperHans123 likes this.
  9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

My main takeaway from the trailer was "I hope those literally pew-pew laser foley are just placeholders".

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Well exactly, it looks incredible. Yet the idea of playing with Gillian Anderson has been a dream of my teenage self since staying up past bed time to sneakily watch X-Files.

You may have noticed how I have railed against this project many times, while remaining open to the possibility of playing it were it to be released. There are allegedly 500+ people being employed by CIG to do something, but the scope and ambition of what Roberts et al have clumsily set out to achieve appears too unfeasible. To raise the bar the way he did with Wing Commander 1 is no longer the domain of developers that number in the single digits, you need a small army, abundant resources and unreasonable amounts of time in the context of how he got funded and the deadlines that were promised.

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

From what I can tell what they are doing is scripting and building the CitizenCon demo every twelve months and putting the build they made to do it out for others to play. Which is nice of them and all, but it's an awfuly slow way to make a videogame.

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Indeed.

I can see it carrying on like this while people are still pledging millions of dollars per month and the now blanket denial of refunds.

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I can see some court cases on the horizon in the future, possibly class action as opposed to individual cases which are easily batted away.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2018
  14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

And court cases for "I gave them money to develop a game with no contractual obligations, and they are developing a game, but I want them to do it faster" can and should be laughed out of court.

15. oscy

oscy Modder

16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

$4.5K.
    For what will one day be available for $60
    Insanity.

17. oscy

oscy Modder

I guess if you've got the money and it's for your dream game, knock yourself out.

Though of the one little gameplay video I saw, it looks like a photorealistic No Man's Sky. At $200m, unless it's a life simulator with full planets with full cities so it's like ****ing Cyberpunk when you land, it's going to disappoint.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

To be fair, SC does look quite pretty from what I've seen, but it also looks utterly sterile. We'll have to see what sort of game actually ends up underpinning the pretty jpegs.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

It will really depend what they end up doing with it and no one can really answer that at this point.

If the project is completed i would estimate another 5 years based on progress they have made.

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That is the plan, from what I've heard.