1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Based on my readings on the 7er forums, lease deals on 7ers in the US tend to be a better overall option than buying outright, with high residuals and low interest - unless sub-prime lending has tanked that option in the last few years. On the other hand, over here the residuals they give on PCPs mean that handing it back at the end of the period is giving money away.

On paper it seems like a few inches here and there, but side by side (and inside) those few inches count, especially in LWB form. The X6 looks big because of it's chunky style and height, the 7er is the bigger car. Apart from the size though, it's the waft and plushness that did it for me over the 5er. You can spec certain things that help the 5er out, but it's always going to be the more 'dynamic' BMW.

The only issue I have parking is the length, often hanging way over the end of spots, particularly in multi-storeys. Surround-view is a must, and regular city manoeuvring is on the cards 4WS is supposed to be a nice option as well.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Leases tend to be good, yeah. My truck is a lease and I pay a puny amount for it. It costs me $239 a month which includes tax.

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Hey gang, What do you think of our Guide video? (audio quality improves, after we moved to new location, we only had 4 hrs with the car, that included wash and hand wax job (sigh)

4. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Approaching the end of the season, so having some tuning work done. But been enjoying the summer in this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mister_Tad, Byron C, maxlxyd and 2 others like this.
  5. maxlxyd

maxlxyd What's a Dremel?

I just started driving 4 months ago, and this is my car. I love it.

Attached Files:

• Car.jpg
      Car.jpg
      File size:
      149.8 KB
      Views:
    MLyons and Byron C like this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

Traded in the A3 - my knackered knee has been screaming at me for the last few months every time I climb in and out of it. The Tig is a bit higher up, and an even nicer place to sit.

Arboreal and LennyRhys like this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice, my sister has one and I looked at them in the summer when my A6 was on its last legs at 180K. I test drove a couple and wasn't grabbed by them (the older model), and ended up with a slightly newer high spec Honda CR-V for the same budget.
    Having looked at an assortment of similar cars, the CR-V got the seal of approval from the 'management' - SWMBO that is.

David likes this.
  8. David

I looked at the CR-V but, I swear on my life, the only people on the island that drive them are silvertops who like to get up early every Sunday and do laps of the island in third gear. Now, I am going grey, but no way am I joining that little club! :lol:

The Tig has only done 15k and the previous owner was nice enough to spring for the leather pack and Park Assist, although I fear the latter will be little more than a novelty, soon to be ignored - it's a bit freaky watching a machine steer itself into a parking spot.

It is obviously a far cry from a A3 sport, but it didn't roll around in the corners like I feared it might. It also feels like I'm sitting on the roof of the A3, which will take some getting used to, but at least I can see past the car in front on the road now. Gunna head north in a few days ad give it a proper run out.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2018
    Arboreal likes this.
  9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Right now, after a friendly-but-firm discussion with Toytota (who are still waiting for my 86's Clutch): A 2018 Rav4 base model (2L petrol, FWD) with 10.000 km on it... I don't hate it at all.

10. David

Collected it yesterday - it's lovely. Some reviews said the ride was a bit firm, but I've come from an A3 sport with lowered suspension - this thing glides in comparison. Also, despite being a good 300kg heavier, it feels almost as quick as the A3. Anyhoo, Tiggy gets a 300 mile road test today - should be fun.

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

The "turd". Slowly turning it into a bit of fun for oulton park.

[​IMG]

12. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

After 2 years of owning the golf R it was the arrival of a baby that made me sell and replace with a "family" car.

It came down to the SQ5 (wife's choice) and the S4 Avant (mine). The deciding factor was the current diesel hating and I could just see the resale value plummeting on the Q5.

It's my first automatic car and while it was weird at first I can certainly see me buying another. The lack of engine braking was the hardest thing to change.

[​IMG]

When I first joined bit-tech I didn't even own a driving license.. :)

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm thinking about getting an automatic once this car either doesn't work or too many fences have jumped at it :worried:. How you finding the auto compared to the manual? It'll be my second car so not sure if gettign an auto would be good or not.

14. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

I was driving for 8 years before I got the auto so I wasn't too worried about losing the skill but I guess it must be a factor of you only have a year or so experience. Suspect it's like riding a bike and you'll never lose it

For the first month I found myself constantly reaching for the gears and a few panics as I failed to find the clutch. Now I'm used to it I do much prefer the smoother acceleration and city driving is much less effort.

Even though this car is only slightly faster 0-60 acceleration than my last car (5.1 vs 5.4) , it feels so much quicker as the auto is simply better than my manual gear change ability. It definitely allows me to get more from the car. That being said I have driven a VW UP with an auto box and it was awful in comparison to the manual. Guess it depends on the car.

15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It definitely depends on the car. You can shove a fantastic gearbox on a dead engine and it’ll be dead, or shove a crap box on a good engine and still have it feel dead. It’s all about the balance. :)

The 8 speed box on my truck is beautiful. Quick shifts, very snappy response and just a pleasure to drive. I do look forward to owning a proper sports car in the future, though. I’m eyeing up a Vette, but not for years to come. That’s the goal...

16. David

I'm on my second auto - but I still jump in manuals every now and again, and I used to have a auto car and manual work van. If you've driven both long enough you don't have many, if any, transition problems.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Well, After some to-and-fro, my GT86 is STILL short one clutch, and I am spending time with an automatic Toyota Auris (XSr or whatever the highest spec is... leather interior and all).
    Besides the Auris being a TERRIBLE car (for me, at around 192cm, the seats are uncomfortable as anything, and the rear view mirror, much as I like auto-dimming, is just in the way), I am stating this to weigh in on the auto v Manual debate.

The biggest thing for me is predictability. ESPECIALLY when gearing down. If there's no engine braking, that's something I can get used to. If there IS engine braking, that's fine as well... but some gearboxes/engines just behave sporadically in that regard.
    Throttle response is also always a clincher for me. Admittedly, my daily (the GT86) has throttle response that's hard to rival, but some gearboxes/engines just take a solid few tenths to decide what you want it to do, and then react in a way that's almost overreacted.

There's some GREAT auto boxes these days. I like the one in most Mercs nowadays (though in fairness, Merc has made great auto boxes for 20+ years), the BMW's are good, the Audi/VW ones are solid.

My experience in Ford autos has reliably been terrible (but limited to the EcoSport and the Ranger). Toyotas don't work for me at all (Corollas, Hilux, Auris) - mainly due to the lack of predictability in the 'box.

My conclusion is to try before you buy... as was pointed out - some are good, some are terrible.
    Getting used to them is surprisingly quick (much quicker than what it takes me to get used to indicator stalks being on the other side)

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I drove manual for ~4 years, last 6 years had been autos. No problem what so ever going back to manuals if needed, gear changes won't be as smooth as before, but no problems driving like a normal person.

In my Skoda 2.0 dirty diesel with 6 speed dual clutch gearbox, I toggle between S (sports?) mode and normal D mode for engine braking. Want to slow down without brakes? tug the gearstick for S mode. Want to accelerate without much engine noise and effort? put it back to D mode.

On the other hand, it's all soooo much easier and predictable in an EV. One pedal driving :D EV instant throttle also response makes DSG seem slow to change gear. Personally, I enjoy driving my first gen Nissan Leaf a lot more than driving my more powerful, more gizmo Skoda Octavia. I'm hoping the Octy can last me a long time and it's the last ICE car I'll ever buy.

There's different types of auto, buying the right type makes all the different. Torque converter is not efficient but smoothest and reliable. Single clutch automated manual are to be avoided. Dual clutch autos are usually good, but reliability depends on specific model. CVT are a great idea, but feels strange.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Just replaced the written off Civic with a newer Civic;
    [​IMG]

With the bluetooth, satnav, stop / start, cruise control, reversing camera and heated leather seats, and a wee sub in the boot
    [​IMG]

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Courtesy car for the day...

[​IMG]

IanW and MLyons like this.