1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ [3D Printed] The Iron suit project - Updated 31-10-2018.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cown, 12 Nov 2016.

1. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Thank you and sure, here ya' go :)

Spring stabilizers (They do exactly that, help stabilize the springs to the center of the screw, helps when leveling the bed):
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1185086

Diiicooler:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1025471

2. kim

kim hardware addict

Not really a fan of Ironman; but your skills, the amount of work and attention to detail inspires respect :thumb:
    Ps: I jump on this opportunity to tell you that I don"t have Facebook, but I love to read and watch all threads here, and I regret that no links to your pics are still valid, in all your previous project logs on Bittech...

3. stepea

stepea What's a Dremel?

4. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Thanks mate, glad you appreciate it although the theme isn't to your liking :grin:

Yeah, since the forum update, all the image links went bad. I have to reedit all the posts and fix the links for each image seperatly, will do so when I have time for it, it's a lot of work, unfortunately.

The cooler is definitely worth it, it opens up for new possibilities with this printer :happy:

Edit: The i3 PLUS is known for having issues with warping of the bed. One of the best investments I've made recently was adding glas to the bed. Now I can easily level the bed in seconds and it's even all the way round. It's a cheap investment too :) also, it doesn't hurt that the bottom layer of the print now is smoother than a babies bottom :D

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  5. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 31-10-2018.

Hello community!

It's been far too long, since my last update.

Life has gotten the better of me and my time available to spend on the project has been slim to none.

Since my last post, we've had a lot of things around the house that needed to be done, including a new roof. I've gotten a new job, which requires me to be away from home in the weekdays, limiting my time to work on the projects to the weekends only. Oh, and a new baby girl arrived just a week ago, which is wonderful, but also time consuming and demanding, especially with 2 other kids, already in the house :grin:

I'm currently on 2 weeks maternity leave and with the kids in kindergarten and school, the baby sleeping more or less all the time, along with the wife lol, I've had some free time on my hands, to start working again.

Now with no further ado, I'll continue with the project as it slowly develops:

My new printer going at it, printing a part of the foot for the suit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's far from calibrated correctly. I have huge ringing issues, when printing this big. This has been an issue I've worked a lot on to try to fix as much as prossible, so that I wouldn't have to spend so much time with filler and sanding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can clearly see the difference, compared to my smaller printer:

[​IMG]

Now with the time I've had available over that last, many months, I've managed to dial it in as much as I possibly can.

The neon green Hulk is done before my calibration was at it's end. The dark green Hulk is after.

[​IMG]

It's not perfect, but for the sake of saving time, it will have to do for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said, we had to change the roof on the house, due to problems with water seeping into the house, and in doing so, the attic had to be emptied out. All the stuff went into the garage, where I had all my parts lying around and during this chaos a lot of stuff got thrown out, including a bag with my hands for the suit!!! :wallbash: This is a real pain in the a** and even worse a setback and timeconsumer, but nothing to do about it, but to start making new ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painting stage almost complete, primer and then finishing paint. Tomorrow I hope to work on the lighting and completing the gloves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the last couple of months, I've spent some time as well, trying to locate the original 3D rendering of the Mark VI Iron Man suit.

I knew I had to do this at some point, and since I've not been able to physically work on the suit, I could still work on the computer, while not at home.

I needed to do this because, the original files I've been using for this project, were in fact, intended to be used as a fully wearable suit (Cosplay). Now because of this, there were a lot of parts missing. Parts that would prohibit the wearer from moving or even impossible to put on. Ribs, wrists, knees, hip joints, etc.

I had no trouble finding the original rendering, but extracting the parts from the full suit, as well as making them printable was a lot of work. I've never worked with or have any experience with 3D rendering/editing what so ever, so with the help of google and the time I had available, I did in fact manage to extract the files and make them printable in the right scale, learning a lot in the process.

Here, I've added a rendered image of the entire suit, complete with all parts. There are parts there you can't see, unless you start picking off parts and go deeper inside the suit.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to the parts I've worked on, in case anyone is curious:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2550588

Here' I've printed the wrists:

[​IMG]

And currently the left side of the ribs are being created. So far 36 hours of printing:

[​IMG]

While waiting for the prints to complete, I've been working some more on the torso parts (chest, abdomen and back) of the suit. I've experimented with means of how to hold the entire torso together. The hot glue doesn't work that well. It separates form the parts over time. I've tried binding some of the parts together with a soldering iron, and even though it works very well for some areas, I can't apply this everywhere, because not all parts I'm using are plastic. I need the torso to be able to be disassembled and put together again with ease, there is going to be hardware inside of it after all, and it doesn't help, that it comes apart every time I have to do changes to the hardware.

With the 3D Pen, I'm hoping to bond the "alien" parts with the suit more easily. I'll have pictures of this ready as soon as I start working on it, so you can see what I'm talking about, hopefully tomorrow. To clarify, it's a hand held 3D printer, if you may. It looks like a glue gun, but instead of glue, it pushed out filament, just like the printers do, only here you are in charge of where it goes. It's possible to "3D print" in free hand with this tool.

Now lastly, I want to thank you all for looking and having patience with me. This project has turned out to be a lot bigger, harder and more time-consuming, than I first imagined :eeek: but whatever happens and no matter how long it will take, I will see this through :cooldude:

Last edited: 31 Oct 2018
    _Prometheus_ likes this.
  6. random2k4

random2k4 Multimodder

Finally your prints look better. Good job on the calibration.

I would not use a 3D pen for joining parts or even fill holes. Its a very bad bond. Use Epoxy if you need some time to aline your pieces, or make small holes in both sides of your pieces and glue a short metal pin in. That helps not only to aline the parts but it also makes the bond stronger. Here is a picture of what I mean. Btw, the holes are made best in the 3D file itself to the are perfectly in position.

[​IMG]

Cown and _Prometheus_ like this.
  7. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Just WOW, what a project and grz on your baby girl <3

Cown and Yaka like this.
  8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm with Random, even though I have no experience with print. :lol: I was looking around at the 3d pens and realized that a plastic welding iron was a better choice.
    Good to see you back at it. Have you thought about making the suit articulated/poseable?

Cown likes this.
  9. stepea

stepea What's a Dremel?

I never got round to adding the cooler but I did add a glass bed - had problems at the start with levelling - think the bed warped but have been using magigoo for good adhesion - better since.

Cown likes this.
  10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ive no experience with handling 3d prints, but wouldn't friction welding be better? i use this method to sort out damaged motorcycle fairing works brilliant for me

Cown and kim like this.
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

incredible...who could imagine that plastic welding method?? :jawdrop::grin:

Last edited: 4 Nov 2018
  12. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Thanks for that :)

This is a smart way to make sure parts align perfectly and very useful on bigger more robust parts, unfortunately, most of the surfaces I have, are nore more than 2-3 millimeters thick, leaving very little space for this to be possible :-/

Thank you :D

I've tried the pen out, and it does in fact suck at welding, but it is great for applying the filament around belts and hinges, that are going to hold the suit together, and then welding with a normal welding iron. This way I don't need to have a 3rd hand to hold they part, the filament and the welding iron.

I'm planing on the arms being articulated :) They are going to be holding something :D but need to be movable when accessing the hardware.

Leveling the bed can be a serious pain in the a**. Also once you've finally leveled it, it can need another calibration between prints :-/ Good to head the adhesion aid is helping.

This is brilliant! I will defensively have to try this out. God knows I have more than enough Dremels lying around lol, will be good to put them back to use. Thank you for sharing this!

13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

no probs, like i said i use it to fix up motorcycle fairing and have had zero issues. no fumes to worry about when you compare it to melting plastics with soldering iron or similar. but just to be safe make sure you have plenty of ventilation

14. Mopsi

Mopsi What's a Dremel?

nice work so far. curoise to the the rest of it

15. Cown

Cown Minimodder

I'm sure I will be able to apply this method to other parts of the suit as I keep building, thanks again for the tip! Very cool indeed.

Thanks mate, glad you like it :)

-

Update 18-11-2018.

Hey guys

Time for an update.

So, I've finished printing the new ribs, only took a picture of the one though, but this is how it looks in all it's huge glory:

[​IMG]

Took an impressive 39 hours and 58 minutes to print, just the one side! :eeek:
    Next up is sanding them down, and painting them in the right colors. Looking forward to adding this to the torso and finally completing that part.

[​IMG]

My 3D pen arrived and I put it to work right away:

[​IMG]

Here, I've applied the filament to the harness belt with the pen.

[​IMG]

Afterwards, I soldered the plastics together for a stronger hold on the harness:

[​IMG]

Entire chest, back and abdomen strengthened with the pen and soldering iron. It can now hold its own weight without coming apart, like the hot glue did:

[​IMG]

Next, I started to work on the gloves, I proudly present the 2nd edition Iron suit gloves:

[​IMG]

Now, the led's I used for the first set of gloves, have unfortunately, been discontinued and are no longer sold, I instead tried some other 12V leds I had lying around, but it turned out that these got so hot, that the glue I used for the repulsor melted away :jawdrop: instead I changed things up a bit, and for the better if I might say so myself, to some smaller diodes instead, oh and got it to match with the rest of the color-scheme as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here, you can see the glue I was mentioning before, the other lights melted if right off.

[​IMG]

These babies now work as low as 9 volt, so adding a battery pack to the gloves is now possible:

[​IMG]

I think it looks pretty cool, especially with the red color, hard to get the right lighting on camera though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added smaller wires to the leds and attached an XT60 connector instead of the longer wires I had with molex connectors on the lost gloves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both gloves done, still need to ad an XT60 on the right glove, but other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys approve and thanks for looking :dremel:

kim and Yaka like this.
  16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

coming along nicely, there must be a big grin on your face whenere you take a step back and look at it

Cown likes this.
  17. Cown

Cown Minimodder

You got that right lol! :D