1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ⭐ [Sponsored] Angl3d Ti - Dual loop | EKWB | ASUS ROG | be quiet! | Enermax | Teamgroup | by Zeuligan

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zeuligan, 4 Mar 2018.

1. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

You honor me, thx :)

Thank you so much <3

2. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I mentioned in last update that I realized that I ran into a problem. That problem is the front IO panel. Reason is of course that it needs to be fixed before I can fasten the front and top cover. That also means that I need to figure out how to manufacture a panel and a cutout for the top (or front).

I'm just glad I figured it out prior to finishing the front and or the top.

[​IMG]

Here is the problem. I decided that I want to try to keep the original IO panel with the power buttons etc.

[​IMG]

150x40mm will cover all the ports but be just as small as possible to minimize any straight parts on my angled mod.

[​IMG]

Gently removed the power button from the original top. I figured that this should be the easiest hole to make and if I can't solve that, no need to spend time on the smaller holes.

[​IMG]

Marked middle and the size, 22mm

[​IMG]

As I don't have a CNC or a laser cutter, I just put a 3mm drill in my Dremel drillpress and started drilling.

[​IMG]

I couldn't fit my hand-file into the small hole so actually took a small nail file and made the hole. YES, it took freaking forever.

[​IMG]

Marked out the holes for the usb connectors and swiched to a 0,8mm drill. Decided to try to manually use the drill as a router. Not the easiest of tasks to push the plate straight.

[​IMG]

It worked surprisingly good. After almost 2h with my nail file (GF will not be happy when she gets home) and a cramp in my hand for clutching the piece I was done.

[​IMG]

Really happy with that result. Now I just need to figure out how to fit this to the case and make a cut out / hole in the top case part, but that will be in next update.

PS. Correction: it was a 1,6mm drill, not 0,8mm DS.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2018
    storm-83 and kim like this.
  3. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Nice work on the plate!

Zeuligan likes this.
  4. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Thank you

5. Mopsi

Mopsi What's a Dremel?

Cool project. I like that its all cut by hand and still looks awesome :D

Zeuligan likes this.
  6. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Thank you so much.

When living in an appartement and only a small officeroom to mod in, that is what I can do, but also trying to make it my thing (love working with just my hands). Very glad you like it, means a lot.

7. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

It was time to start working on the 3rd and final external case part, the top. With the front IO panel as the major component to work around and into this case part as the biggest challenge. I also need to figure out a good way to bridge the top part with the front part so there is one fluid design as well as no cap between the pieces.

[​IMG]

Same dimensions on this piece as the bottom part. 230x540mm.

[​IMG]

Need airflow as well as room for alternative radiator and fan mounting.

[​IMG]

With the base shape cut I can move on with securing it to the case. Modularity is still a key

[​IMG]

Worked for the front, so why not for the top. 8 small 12x5x4mm acrylic brackets.

[​IMG]

Fliped the case upside down and positioned the frame in the right location. Fixed the brackets with Acrifix and waited for it to set.

[​IMG]

Marked a center line and took some measurements for the IO panel custom bracket. Decided that I wanted to use the original screw holes. No need to reinvent the wheel.

[​IMG]

First I did a cut out in the main top frame. This is where I will create the front panel bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Created a piece equal to the one I cut out from the frame. Drilled 2 holes and viola.

[​IMG]

My take on a bracket for the IO panel. Don't like the original solution with screws clamping it in place.

[​IMG]

Somone mentioned in another forum that Batman would approve of my angles. That actually gave me inspiration for this bracket [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Acrifix is messy but amazing for this type of job.

[​IMG]

Not bad for a small batman-holder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two larger parts for the top front frame. After some testfitting with the side glass panel I decided to go with a more straight side for the top. Makes for a better transition from the glass.

[​IMG]

Added the sides to the base plate and created a small clip-on type of counter-bracket for the IO panel.

[​IMG]

Snaps on tighter than a batman suit.

[​IMG]

A real milestone right here. Connection to the frame and the front IO panel cover. This also marks the front end edge of the top piece. This will make it possible, once I connect the front to the top, to start working on both the top and front simultaniously. Will increase the speed as I can work on one piece while the other dry when fixing stuff with the Acrifix. But first I need to create the top part, which will be the next update of this mod.

Cheapskate, _Prometheus_ and kim like this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

the more you adding parts to this amazing acrylic armor, the more I realise how genius idea it is :clap: ! I can imagine the color effects with some lighting, can't wait to see the final product...I'll be patient though :grin: cuz it's a lesson of modding, regarding you're workspace, and what comes out from your hands...great great work :rock:

Zeuligan likes this.
  9. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I don't know what to respond to that <3 Thank you so so much :rock:

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The front fans are pretty unique looking on the outside. I would make a cutout or notch in your cover to expose some of the fans' curved rings. -like, a little notch for each fan.

Zeuligan and Defyant Mods like this.
  11. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Maybe the pictures above isn't showing it, but there will be a cutout for each of the 3 front fans. If my plan works, the cut out will be just wide enough to show the front RGB circle of the Enermax fans. Think it will look cool.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  12. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Work progressing with building the main structure and most part of the top case part. This is an important part of the mod as it will either make it or brake it. I need to tie it together with the front and base part.

I hope I will end up with a feeling of one cohesive exterior case rather than 3 separate parts.

[​IMG]

First big part of the top case exterior. The first part makes a larger impact of the whole than one can think. It influence each of the following angles and they the next and in the end the entire case part. Takes a lot of trial and error before deciding on the pattern and the first part. This was mine...

[​IMG]

Added a second, but lower and angled side panel on both sides.

[​IMG]

Testing different shapes and angles is much easier with tape.

[​IMG]

Fastened for real. Starts to wrap around the top like a warm hug.

[​IMG]

Added a fairly flat piece to the back. After different tests I thought this will look best in profile (as that is how you mostly view the case).

[​IMG]

Lot's of parts for the front.

[​IMG]

The top front is starting to come together.

[​IMG]

Added more angles to the side of the top. I know it wont matter when it's done, but the tape fastening method looks so messy, bothers me a little.

[​IMG]

That will reflect the light really nice when it's finished in it's matt black finish.

[​IMG]

Two symetrical sides. Not entirely sure how to wrap up the top, so need to start working from the back. Still need to figure out airflow.

[​IMG]

Centered point on this back piece.

[​IMG]

Two larger flatter pieces. Need some pieces to keep the overall design and feeling a little calmer.

[​IMG]

Took some re-positioning and sanding to get the joining part exactly in the middle. Added longer triangles to the back.

[​IMG]

Reminds me about the back of a sportscar. The two large triangular holes are not forgoten, but left for a reason. More of that later.

[​IMG]

Left two small "intakes" on the side.

neSSa and _Prometheus_ like this.
  13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I love the look of it even as it is. It would be cool if the glue was UV reactive and all the crusty bits glowed.
    Any plans to reinforce this from the inside?

Zeuligan likes this.
  14. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I'm reinforcing it in the joints as I go along with acrifix. Other than that, I can place 30kg on it without it even making a squeek so more than plastic "wood" and sanding, it is structurally done

Defyant Mods likes this.
  15. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I totally excited :rock: i'm with cheaps frost sand it and go full disco !:grin:

Zeuligan likes this.
  16. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I wish, but feel I made to much of a mess putting it together for anything but a matt black finish. But I hear you and feel it, so will keep that until I have to make a decision (or do a 2nd mod).
    Problem with Sweden and very hard toxic (and all other) laws. Can't get your hands on any real acrylic fixture. Only the slobby Acrifix 116 or 192 unfortunatly.

And thank you for your encouraging words :blush::rock:

Defyant Mods likes this.
  17. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Sh!t..... almost forgot to say the Vents are a cool touch!

Zeuligan likes this.
  18. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Thx <3

I got a plan for those, hope I can realize it with just a plier and some will. Hope to be able to include in the next 2 updates....

19. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

20. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Final stretch of the top exterior acrylic case part. Wanted to bring back more angles and tigh the entire design together with the previously created PSU Shroud.

[​IMG]

First task was to file down the front edge to make sure it was a perfect fit against the front. I made the front and top 3mm to large just to be sure I could file it into a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Like a glove.

[​IMG]

With most of the upper part of the top still unfinished, not much to pray for. Need more triangles.

[​IMG]

Looks so messy with all the Acrifix, tape marks and finger prints, but it will not matter as it will be sanded and I will add plastic "wood" att all joints not perfect.

[​IMG]

That front is starting to look good...

[​IMG]

I can't add two large triangles into that obvious triangular space as that is in the same angle as the joining pieces. Would just create one large flat surface with joints.

[​IMG]

Instead I created 4 triangles and angled the joining edge slightly upwards. Perfect, as I have to have a piece in the middle that isn't joined in the middle. That would create a long line in the center that the eyes will have a problem with.

[​IMG]

Two angled larger and more flat pieces got to finish the top of the top.

[​IMG]

Two small holes at the back to close before the first of the 3 exterior pieces are done.

[​IMG]

Testfit towards the front, just to makes sure nothing has warped and still fit perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top was the last one I started but the first to be finished. Now I will spend the next 2 days adding Acrifix to the backside of each joint to ensure it's strong and tight. Then I can move on adding plastic wood and sand down a perfect finish before I can add vinyl or paint.

neSSa and _Prometheus_ like this.