1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Light Blade "It's still cool to air cool !

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Defyant Mods, 11 Sep 2018.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nope. Not seeing how you got that cover around that fat heatsink.
    I'mma gonna keep throwing ideas at you. You snatch them up and run with them like a hungry poodle. Once you get the lasers going you can test them with the Close Encounters theme music.;)

2. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Looks as the UFO! Coool! :dremel:

3. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Your just pushing my buttons now! :lol:

Cheers Prom tyvm mate :thumb::thumb:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll admit it's fans out then lift twist and turn but its still better than taking the hardware out before hand.

4. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Back to our regular programming :D

A quick bit more "plex flexing " ..... just trying out a quick new fan housing to match the psu cover.... still not sure if i like this better than the previous mods.. i may try one more idea for fan cover combo and then finally decide.

For the new fan housing it's best to bend the cover as a unit... this way there's bugger all measuring ... just bend a trim to size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feels like cheating :p

[​IMG]

last 2 bends are added

[​IMG]

Then over to the router for some trimming.

[​IMG]

Next is to cut some insert panels for the rgb light

[​IMG]

It tones the light down a lot inside the case, but still allows the front panel to go full disco like before....there's a lotta light escaping without the fans and MB in place but this should go away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Awesome.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  6. AML_customs_pc

AML_customs_pc Minimodder

I have no idea how I am only coming across this build log now.

Great work very detailed, really like what you did with the motherboard stand offs. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Cheers VT tymate :thumb:

Cheers AML ty mate glade to have you on board for the ride :) I'm enjoying your adventures with plex too! :thumb:

Not much of an update today..... had a workshop tidy up :grin: i had plex stacked every corner and decided to consolidate my stockpile :)

I had no idea i still had this much left.... sorry to say but you poor buggers are going to have to put up with white mods from me for at least a few more builds :p

[​IMG]

But after i got my clean up done.... i did hit a Mile stone !

I finally got both the FRONT RGB strips installed and the FANS!:rock:

Been waiting along time to see how they will light up together and boy it lights up!

The stips are hard glued direct to the side of the fans, this gives maximum light to the front and plenty of light for the internal side accent lights.

[​IMG]

I have also added in an extra Corsair node pro hub... running 2 hubs allows me to have 4 channels that can all do their own thing.... it's going to make some some pretty crazy light effects.

The old rainbow RGB is looking kinda boring now....

[​IMG]

But being able to control the fans separate to the strips can give some really classy effects.

[​IMG]

Tomorrows a big day, i should finish the psu cover and fan cover that should be the bulk of the rgb done.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2018
  8. Cheapskate

That pile is close to my small stock random color pile. I'm jealous. I currently have plans to line my tool chest, make a silverware drawer organizer, and line a few window sills. Any of those sound like a good way to get rid of extra plexi? ;)
    Can you fake fire with yellow-orange-red-blue yet?

Defyant Mods likes this.
  9. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

LOL yer i have soo many plans as well :D lining the window sills i really like that idea :D maybe a splash back or 2 in the kitchen as well :D

I'm sooo frugal with my use and off cuts :p but im hoping theres at least enuf for the second case book end, a mini version and finally to finish off Disco scorp.....

It will do the " fake flame" but i just cant film it..... the hardest colours to capture seem to be the deep orange to red,,,, they really flare the camera,..

I did how ever decide to go full retard and do a full disco workshop vid :p excuse the mess :(

And of course some thing a bit less retard :)

Last edited: 18 Nov 2018
    _Prometheus_ likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Today was a pretty good day for modding :D

I bent some plex !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well.... i'm actually just seeing designs i like and seeing if i can replicate them on the bender.... it's good practice , starting with simple shapes and eventually more complex stuff .

Looking at a diy vacuum press and maybe a bending wand :D

I did get some modding done too after the stuffing around.

Decided to reshape the front of the cover.... just the fronts, added some angle for a more aggressive look. Also helps to lift out easier with out removing the fan cover :)

Capped the ends to stop any excess light bleed as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also made a filler panel to go around the MB and hide the gap.... i decided to make use of some 10mm clear and get a free light feature while i was at it :p

Cut in one section to fit snug and will be weldon'd into place.

Ive left the paper on for the first pics..... just to make it easier to see....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some free rgb lighting i wasn't expecting but i am pretty happy with the result.

[​IMG]

The next pics and vid show it really flows with the bottom rgb nicely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:naughty:

Aaaannd last but not least while i was playing around on the plex bender today... ive been thinking about adding a rear wing for a while now.

I'm still not 100% on this style but i think i will definitely have a wing..:thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added a sneaky new kb and monitor on a arm system :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_Prometheus_ and Cheapskate like this.
  12. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I keep checking in, drewling over the workshop in the hands of a master :rock:
    Amazing build and very entertaining to follow :dremel::clap:

Defyant Mods likes this.
  13. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Very nice work.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  14. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Thanks mate :) it's nice to indulge one's self in one's place of work :) Some nights i can sit out there way past midnight ...... not good at my age and for work the next day.... but with some really nice music the lighting just right a hot beverage (or a beer) it's easy to forget im married! :p

Cheers DC tyvm mate

A really small update.... just playing with window ideas.. this will be my test unit for now... i'll reshape and adjust some more. but i think you get the basic idea :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

wow, i should have looked in earlier. nice job. and i just saw the first wl pics here of your awesome workshop.
    i hope mine works out asap next year. i really need my dust extraction and painting station badly.
    nice work mate..

Defyant Mods likes this.
  16. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Cheers abbas-it tyvm mate :thumb: and welcome aboard :)

The workshops a mod in itself.... i'm for ever updating and adding new QOL additions :thumb: i go out to work on the case mod and see some thing new i can diy for the shop and end up doing that instead :p

For now i'm pretty happy with the Case mod... i really am just adding smaller additions for visuals... kinda "boltons" that i can just remove change if i feel the urge to do a quick update or mod.

Sticking with the original side windows to accommodate some side dams... It was looking a bit "top heavy" so just adding some thing to balance it up a little..

Maybe a front one as well.

Ive made it in a single piece and still need a mount system... but the idea is to also use this to add some stance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MLyons, Cheapskate and Zeuligan like this.
  17. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Baby steps for now :) i thought the new addition looked a bit plain...

So tonight i jigged up a quick press to see if i could add some air dams to the base. It ended up being quiet a bit of work and still needs some shaping...

For now this is a prototype

[​IMG]

The press works pretty well.... the top dosnt drop and hold square thanks to the single hinge..... i'll pick up some new hinges and try another press tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then over to the bender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it alot, it adds some much needed shape to the back

[​IMG]

lowfat likes this.
  18. Cheapskate

It looks like it's tearin' as* all over the desk. :D
    I can imagine the pressing involved a lot of, "Bend already, you rubbery son of a -"

Defyant Mods likes this.
  19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Cheers Cheaps, All the cars that appeal to me look like they'r doing 100 mph + just sitting.

Trying to add that to this mod... but it's a fine line its easy to go too far (which is easy to do with that pile of white plex :p)

I really did have to "muscle" that 4.5mm plex......... i was thinking of going down to some 2-3mm for ease of bending and sharper lines.

but i think it needs to stay consistent .... i'll keep working up a sweat with the 4.5 :D

20. Vault-Tec

That is seriously tits. I love playing with plastic, it's so much fun.

Defyant Mods likes this.