1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ⭐ Mastercase Pro 3.5 - Full size ATX Mobo into a M-ATX case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by cobalt6700, 30 Nov 2018.

1. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi BT,

I'm not sure if this quite a build log, but I wanted to share my progress with my latest build. I know I like my context when sharing a build, so I'll do my best to not go waffling on. :lol:

This has been going since Oct 2017 when I decided, after much thinking, that I wanted to build a smaller PC. At the time I had been involved with strike action at work, so money was a bit tight. I couldnt afford to build a entriely new rig, so made the decision to re-house my current setup and bought a Mastercase Pro 3 to see if I could make it work.

I started a new job shortly after that, and finding free time to do the build became a bit harder, so progress slowed. I chipped away at the mod, and after a number of external things holding me up (disadvantages of doing things on the cheap sometimes) I finally managed to get it 90% built ready for my event AtomLAN 41 in August this year. I then moved into my first house, etc, and this is where we are today (Still sorting out that free time :duh:)

Parts:

CPU: 4790K
    Mobo: Asus Z97-Pro WiFi ac
    RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB
    GPU: 980ti Hydrocopper
    SSD: Crucial M4 256gb
    HDD: WD black 1TB, WD Green 3TB
    PSU: Focus Plus Gold 750w
    Cable + Connectors: Pexon PC's
    Sleeve: Telios

Cooling:

CPU EK Supremacy EVO
    Pump: EK-XRES 100 D5
    Rads: EK 280 XTC, Blackice GTS 240
    Controller: Commander Pro
    Fans: Areocool Dead Silence 120/140 Blue
    Temp Sensor: Aquacomputer G1/4 straight through, Alphacool Eiszapfen G1/4 plug

To start, I got home to the new case, ripped it out of the case and got some cardboard out to see what was happening. I had already bought a second hand EK rad to go with the Blackice I had from my old LANBOY build. Now that has been around quite a while. Still not much better at taking photos :hehe:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A quick look at the new Pro 3 vs the current TJ-07

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I grabbed some cardboard and started brainstorming

[​IMG]

I wanted to get a feel for what I wanted to do, so hooked up the fans and spent more time thinking about it. One thing I did know - those blue LED's would have to change.

[​IMG]

I ordered some diffused white LED's and got to replacing all of the LED's on the fans.

[​IMG]

Getting there

[​IMG]

Apparently the 120 and 140 Areocool DS's are made differently. The LED's are placed facing different ways which gives a different effect between fans. Not a major thing, just having them next to each other they look a bit odd. The white LED's I used are the same brightness.

Before/After

[​IMG]

Full Set

[​IMG]

Whilst this was happening I had drawn up a few parts on the PC, from my CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) and the parts I had that were not in use in my PC, including a D5 EK pump/res that I had bought in anticipation (thanks to el2k) .

[​IMG]

The first parts came back from the laser and went onto the case to test for fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PSU bracket was one of the things I had worked out I would need fairly early on in the CAD process, as I needed to move the PSU over ~10mm.

[​IMG]

Pump/Res to Rad mount

[​IMG]

A while later, a second (or third) hand GPU from another BT member (thanks keenan) had arrived, so I took the opportunity to partially strip my rig to test fit some of the parts in the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Throwing the Mobo and GPU in the case proved it was going to work, with only a couple of tight places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mobo to HDD cage clearance

[​IMG]

Mobo to PSU clearance

[​IMG]

HDD to pin header was always going to be close, and I had had the idea of 90deg headers, which also looked like they were good to go :worried:

[​IMG]

I put the old rig back together and got back to the CAD

[​IMG] :naughty:

[​IMG]

I had already decided that I liked the hex mesh on the case and had made the pump/res mount and Mobo tray passthroughs to suit. With the midplate back in and the Mobo now properly bent to suit, I thought it would look cool to have the Mobo sort of punch through the midplate.

[​IMG]

I got back to the PC, and spent quite a while thinking about what I wanted to do. Hexagons did become a bit of a thing - I do have a fondness for polygons. After a lot of head scratching, this is what I had. Mobo Tray, Midplate, Front panel and there is a new bracket for the PSU as I gave it another 2mm clearance (12mm total)

[​IMG]

and some acrylic parts to match, including a new swirl plate for the D5 res

[​IMG]

I also wanted to give hex cable combs a go - so drew a few up to see how they would come out

[​IMG]

With those files at various different friends for cutting, I turned to sorting the case out to fit the PSU. A larger hole was cut and I modified a hole punch to pull a boss in the sheet metal to allow it to take a thread.

[​IMG]

The holes came out well, only needing a touch up of paint on the metal that had been stretched

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Dec 2018
    adidan likes this.
  2. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

The Mobo tray came back from laser cutting, so I went for a test fit with my old trusty socket A test board

[​IMG]

Not looking to bad

[​IMG]

Midplate in

[​IMG]

I made a few changes to the rev 1 Mobo tray and had another cut. After getting that back it was time to get some primer and paint on

[​IMG]

Mobo tray finally fitted with rivets to the main chassis

[​IMG]

Really happy with how the steel/acrylic interface came out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trusty old socket A back in

[​IMG]

It was at this point that the project stopped for a bit whilst I sorted my life out. I also managed to buy a new PSU, but I didn't do very well with taking pictures. Things get a little less well documented from here on in.

I had a pile of wiring, paint, LED strips, and other assorted bits ready to go. I made plans and ordered a load of bits ready to have my PC off for a while. Then it was time to pull the TJ-07 apart and get the new build sorted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started on some wiring while the other painted parts were drying

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the painted parts then dry and fitted, I carried on with the job of the wiring over a few evenings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fittings and tubing had arrived in the post, so it was time to mock up the loop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't that happy with the loop layout, so had a think and decided the flow meter had to move and a 45 was needed to the GPU

[​IMG]

Some more wiring happened for the GPU's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fittings for the new loop design

[​IMG]

Midplate back in

[​IMG]

Made a LED loom for the CPU block with white LED's

[​IMG]

WS2812 LED Strip for the midplate

[​IMG]

Sub assemblies ready to go together

[​IMG]

Pressure testing using a G1/4" Transducer I had in the bits box

[​IMG]

Filling the loop and getting some colour in. I 100% didn't think about not being able to see the swirl plate through pastel coolant :hehe:

[​IMG]

A quick shot of the back

[​IMG]

While sat on leak test it was time to dismantle and clean the TJ-07 to go into storage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

And by that time it was AtomLAN. I set it up 2 nights before to do updates and make sure it was ready for LAN.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to AtomLAN safely for it's first outing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The LAN was great. A good friend of mine and co-founder of AtomLAN, Jimbo, has a very decent DSLR and offered to take some pictures. This represents pretty much where I have got to with the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do have a few other bits planned, for example a 3D printed base for the flow meter, and a desk info screen.

Hoping to be updating soon with progress on those.

Until then, thanks for taking the time to read :happy:

Vognen, Cheapskate and Guest-56605 like this.
  4. EKJake

EKJake EK Forum Rep

Very clean! :thumb:

cobalt6700 likes this.
  5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

:clap: :rock: :thumb:

That's a proper tidy build fella, I'm really digging the concept of how you downsized without losing any of your hardware - I took the other approach (cheated lol) and waited until Lian Li released their PC-O11 Dynamic, like you I'll finish mine up in the new year (for one reason or another like you it's taken a while).

cobalt6700 likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

very clean yes, and a nice color balance between black and blue, even without lights on, I like it :thumb:

cobalt6700 likes this.
  7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

This is a really cool nicely done case mod, with some original ideas which is hard to do in this scene :rock:

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Niiiiiiiiice! :thumb:
    The color coordination and hex accents really work. All that lovely cable work lost behind components, though. :lol:

9. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Thank you very much :)

Thank's very much 23RO :thumb:

That's a nice case - and not too large for what it fits (A mate has recently built one)- looking forward to seeing what you do with that :thumb:

Thanks kim :). Black and blue is a favourite of mine but the last time I didn't get a good contrast or match of colours. I've also gone away from UV CCFL's - it hurts, but I do like the way the mod looks.

Dude, I love and look up to your work.Thank you for the kind comments :hip:

Thanks Cheaps :grin:

Yeah I know, up until now I was the only person who knew it was there :hehe:. The design of the mod was stored in my head and it was one of those things that just didn't 'quite' work out with the space I had - but this was my first time with individual cable sleeving so I had a go at the 24pin first :idea:

10. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Mini update,

I've been working on some CAD for the info display, an update on that in the new year. Unfortunetly the 3D printer is mis-behaving, once I've got that sorted I'm excited to start printing some parts.

New 970 EVO turned up yesterday. Fitted it with an AquaComputer kryoM2 to hopefully keep it cool.

[​IMG]

Almost like someone measured it :lol: :)

[​IMG]

Have a great Christmas :thumb:

Last edited: 24 Dec 2018
  11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Those AquaComputer Kryo M2 heatsinks are worth their weight in gold :thumb:

I'll hopefully have my rig rebuild complete early in the new year, ironically it's pale blue/black non RGB to lol :happy:

12. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

That’s good to hear - a heatsink sounded like a good idea. I was looking at the EK version too, but I have a soft spot for Aquacomputer, I’d love to do a full system one day.

Sweet - you got a build log up?

13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

My CPU block is Aquacomputer (A Cuplex Kryos NEXT Vario PVD/Nickel), my pump/res and GPU block are HeatKiller - German build quality is second to none and worth every penny IMO.

I don't know if I'll log it, what with it being a rebuild (the way I really want it this time), I'll definitely post some end result pics when it's complete.

cobalt6700 likes this.