1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Jards8595

Jards8595 Minimodder

who doesn’t like a spreadsheet? The need for a mass of spreadsheets is slowly being phased out anyway which is a shame.

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I play games to have fun, if I wanted to look at spreadsheets I’d probably go work on my taxes :grin:

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Gareth, indulge me for a moment. Let's say Squadron 42 is released in 2021, and bit-tech employ you to review it (within this hypothetical scenario they provide you with an appropriate machine to run it).

Also, let's say it is a technically exceptional game and reaches a new height in gaming (not dissimilar from what the original Wing Commanders achieved). How would you review it?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I assume you mean "what verdict would I render," rather than, y'know, physically how I would review it? I'd give it a glowing review, tempered only by reference to how long it took to be developed (and I'm assuming here that "technically exceptional" is true by 2021 standards, not 2018 standards, 'cos otherwise that'd really knock the score down), the extreme cost of its development, and whether it needs a turbo-nutter PC to actually run it.

I know this place doesn't use percentages any more, but hypothetically:

Technically exceptional by 2021 standards, runs on mid-range hardware, new height in gaming: >95%
    Technically exceptional by 2021 standards, runs on turbo-nutter hardware, new height in gaming: ~90%
    Technically exceptional by 2018 standards, runs on mid-range hardware, new height in gaming: ~85%
    Technically exceptional by 2018 standards, runs on turbo-nutter hardware, new height in gaming: <80%

In any of the cases, "new height in gaming" would definitely be worth 80% or so - the rest all depends on the above. If it's not technically exceptional - in particular, if it doesn't even run well on turbo-nutter hardware - then we're going to be dipping well below the 80% mark.

I know some would mark down the "technically exceptional by 2018 standards" more than I have here, but I've never been one to value tech over playability - hell, one of my favourite games remains Infocom's A Mind Forever Voyaging, which doesn't have any graphics at all!

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

[Laughter emanates from the Enterprise sector, turning quickly to sobs]

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

We're increasingly rapidly moving from spreadsheets to R. Spreadsheets will still have their place, but for a lot of modelling, especially data-heavy stuff, they aren't the right answer.

7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

@Gareth Halfacree

Insightful reply. I guess in asking "how" I meant would you review it within the lens of the delays and controversy, or wholly based on its own merits.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

On its own merits in terms of "is this a good game," but there'd obviously be plenty of ribbing ("A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY WHERE THIS ONE IS") in the intro. The controversial history would be more important when it comes to scoring Star Citizen than Squadron 42, I reckon: S42 shouldn't(!) have the legacy of players having been bled for millions of dollars over the past humpty-tump years or the vast array of microtransactions that I'm assuming SC will include.

Where the delay and MAHOOSIVE BUDGET would knock down the score, as in my previous answer, would be if the thing comes out and it turns out to be no better than the rest of the games you can buy in 2021 - or, worse, remains like it is now in 2018 while the rest of the industry passes it by. That's when I'd be knocking off the tens of percentage points and saying "would have been great in 2018, shame it's 2021" in the conclusion.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

My experience has been that spreadsheets are almost always the wrong answer, but also that spreadsheets were the answer at one point in the distant past so spreadsheets will therefore be the only answer that is accepted until that particular person (and anyone they have infected with the same mentality) retires. And heaven help you if it's a load-bearing spreadsheet...

10. oscy

oscy Modder

Reminds me exactly of having trading in space games.

Elite had it so now every space game has it in just because. There'll never be, say, a cinematic, entirely story-based, exploring-based space game like a Last of Us, it'll nearly always be trading and trading and long journeys (unless there's a money cheat), with a story tacked on, and hopefully the exploring's pretty.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There won't be trading in Squadron 42 (the single-player, Hollywood All-Star cast version of Star Citizen) - as you're a Navy pilot on your first assignment.

12. oscy

oscy Modder

And hopefully it'll be at least as good as Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

I'm very bitter about CoD fans sabotaging it because they wanted yet another WWII shooter. If it wasn't called CoD, would they have been fine with it? Bah.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

BTW - Everyone in that trailer who looks like someone famous, IS that person!

Mark Hamill, Mark Strong, Gillian Anderson, Gary Oldman, Henry Cavill, John Rhys-Davies, etc

14. oscy

oscy Modder

Naturally, but I always think Mark Strong is Stanley Tucci.

[​IMG]

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Trailer looks amazing, not so keen on the pew pew laser sounds.

Still missing that all important release date though.

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

When It's Done, presumably. Full agreement on the pew-pew lasers, they're just far too comical.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just wish they'd revert the fighting side of things to 1.3 or perhaps 2.4. It's been over a year and a half since I touched the game (though I'm looking to get back into it) and the flight model was a joke, which is still a view shared by my Org.

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Flight model is about to get a massive change Pete, and then expect that to get tweaked more.

Everything specification and physics wise was subject to change. I guess if enough people said "stick with 1.3", they might, but CR has his 'vision'.

I am looking forward to seeing the change though, which is supposed to add more realism i.e. not all thrusters have equal thrust just based on engine output.

Pete J likes this.
  19. oscy

oscy Modder

Good lord, now I'm seeing why this is taking forever.

Some people fuss over these little things, but when the game is underway and being played we don't notice them. Like those graphics comparison pictures / videos where you see slight differences if you stare long enough, but while playing you don't notice it, you're busy playing and moving.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Part of the original pitch was that you would be able to write your own Control Laws for the ships (translating Yaw/Pitch/Roll inputs to the actual commanded engine and thruster gimballs and powers). That's the level of engine nerdiness at work here.