1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Not exactly something that's ruined my life, but certainly has wound me up today. Being customer facing at work, I am so fed up of being spoken to like a piece of dog terd that someone has stood on.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You have my sympathy, especially when it's someone who is a victim of their own stupidity but still expects you to pick up the pieces.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This weather. Feels like it hasn't stopped raining in weeks. Makes for some very miserable rides with very poor visibility. Today was the worst so far: fogging wasn't a problem, but the rain was so fine that as soon as I clear my visor it got obscured by rain again. I'll definitely have to look into some sort of water repellent...

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Speed is the only solution that really works

goldstar0011 likes this.
  5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Live fast or die drying?

perplekks45 and The_Crapman like this.
  6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Speed, and a RainX variant. I forget what I last used.

Shirty and Byron C like this.
  7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Drove to Cambridge this morning for a meeting. Car not been washed for quite some time and really filthy. Raining on/off most of the way down. Finish meeting, get back in the car and drive back to Lincoln - weather good! Have time to spare so I get the car washed and cleaned inside/out by our local hand car wash.

The car's looking great. £17 well spent.....

....and on the 2-mile drive between the car wash and home, a wagon pulls out of our local quarry, flinging mud all over the road... and all down the driver's side of my recently spotless car. Absolute b*stards.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Unexpected home maintenance/repair bill. It's already at £1,800, and it's only going to go up from there.

Merry chuffin' Xmas.

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Oh that's got to smart at any time of the year, let alone Christmas. What went pop, bang or leaky?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Roof. Again.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Eurgh. Not something you can put off either - especially going into winter. You must be gutted.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Just a bit, aye.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ftfy :thumb:

I'm going batshit crazy at home. Can't stand sitting round doing nothing for much longer, I'm getting really frustrated and depressed. Nothing can hold my attention for very long, even getting bored of zelda. But also scared of doing any more damage and I don't know if I'll be ready for work next week, not after the mess that was Monday's attempt at normality.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2018
  14. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

£1700 bill for my car this week so i'm with you on the unexpected bills front - clutch slave cylinder failed and no ability to get into gear......... but waaaaaaaaah i hear you cry, slave cylinders are easy, unbolt pipe from master cylinder, unbolt from slave cylinder, unbolt slave cylinder, acquire new cylinder and reverse operation then bleed clutch - max of £250 maybe.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.............Volvo in their infinite wisdom to "protect" it from damage put it inside the bell housing of the gearbox where once it leaked, and then failed, it contaminated the flywheel and clutch plate........ so to change it requires a full gearbox pull........ and there are no volvo independents around where i live - only the main dealer who charges £90 per hour for labour :wallbash::wallbash:

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Better to go out in a huge fireball than the embaresment of wobbling into the back of a HGV you couldn't see

16. Gareth Halfacree

Oof.
    Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking because those are all words I know that make perfect sense.

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

My first thoughts were to equalize the environmental subroutine C-47 with port warp core and the paraphoretic actuators.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I mean.. That's not exactly uncommon. AFAIK it's to make the slave cylinder and the release bearing one part to reduce weight, parts, and cost of construction. Of course, fringe benefit is that it means they can charge more to do repairs - But I sincerely doubt that was the motivating decision, considering wherever you get the job done it'll be tying the lift up for at least half a day.

I'm no mechanic, but I can't recall the last time I've seen a manual trans without the slave in the bell housing.

teacherboy likes this.
  19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Was thinking most "modern" cars have them in the housing which makes the great fun, common Vauxhall fault was the seal to fail CSC usually flooding the housing with fluid. I remember a delightful journey where the CSC had failed on my old corsa, gear matching was easy enough, the sudden realisation you have zero braking pressure on the other hand and relying on a vauxhall handbrake to stop you. THAT was scary!

Semi minor annoyance today, team I work on all bar me swanned off to the pub at half eleven, leaving me not able to take a break till they come back, if they come back that is.

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I work in a company of people who are very gracious to rinse the tea spoons off after making a brew... THEN LEAVE THEM ON THE DRAINING BOARD CONCAVE SIDE UP SO THE WATER JUST POOLS INTO THE MIDDLE AND STAINS THEM ANYWAYS.

/firstworldproblems

goldstar0011, Sentinel-R1 and MLyons like this.