1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Freespace was one of the best space sims out there, awesome combat. A decent invasion story, lot of nice combat, and shifty enemy tactics. Plenty of modding your own guns etc. We've never had a game that could match it since imo.

Freelancer was good too...a different game slightly, but def one of my most memorable space games. Nowadays, EvE pvp is where the fun is imo.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Patch 3.4 (due by Xmas) has gone out to the "Evocati" (NDA constrained play testers).

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Are they going to do one of these quarterly patches where they just bug fix and polish, no new content? It is what PA did a few times, and it really helped things.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There is some new content - certain parts of the big pyramid in Lorville, including 2 new mission givers (Wallace Klim & Constantine Hurston). Hurston-specific missions.

There's also the weekly-updated roadmap for the game to watch.

EDIT:- There is news regarding the Crytek lawsuit. The Judge says Crytek have until Dec 27th to come up with an actual, actionable complaint or GTFO.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2018
  5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, have Crytek actually come up with a case beyond 'they took their business elsewhere and we don't like it' yet?

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

According to that document I linked, no. It states that Crytek's complaints are either invalid to start with, or have been shot down by CIG's lawyers.

7. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Has there been any word about when squadron 42 will be released? I backed the game years ago and haven't really touched it since.

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

2014...2017...no one knows

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

As VG said, nobody really knows.

I reckon sometime mid next year. On the other hand, I imagine there are quite a few people who would laugh that off and say another two years.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

If it was that close they'd be shouting it from the digital rooftops, CR doesn't miss a trick, and he likes a pound note. There would be "early access" passes or "warbond access", or some s*** being promoted if it was 6 months away. No chance. Total guess but at least 2020-21 I'd say. The recent interviews about SQ42 have all been along the lines "we bit off more than any dev team can chew". Citizencon had a tiny, blink-and-you-miss-it trailer, right at the very end - they had a whole day, two stages and 1/5th~ of their dev team to discuss it, or show some part of it - nope, nada.

More likely some stuff gets cut out of sheer feasibility, or we wait and wait and wait. No way are they gonna pull off a Cyberpunk 2077/No Mans Sky hybrid they are suggesting in this time scale. Don't forget they had to build the company from 4 people to over 500+, and essentially redesign and rebuild cryengine - all whilst trying within that to make a game with several divergent and technically challenging aspects, and keep releasing super buggy and broken gameplay environments/tech demos to the impatient (because they were misled) backers.

Insane, really. My biggest irk of the whole thing is that he acted as if it was so feasible. SQ42 was coming in 2016 back in 2014. Yet now at nearly 2019, still very little sign of anything resembling a finished game. Totally misled people, whether intentionally or by gross incompetence.

Still excited to see what comes out, when it comes out.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2018
    Pete J likes this.
  11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Most of the mocap & VA works seems to have wound down now, so unless they decide to do some plot tweaking requiring 'reshoots' it's waiting on the game engine and ship + environment modelling and rigging.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

All very true: think I'l defer to this instead. At least by then we'll have a generation of computer hardware that's be able to max out the game. And it does look stunning - it'll be holding up in ten years' time, just like Crysis does now.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Star Citizen Version 3.4 (PTU) is now open to all backers, hopefully it will go to live before Xmas.

From the weekly email newsletter - "Stay tuned next week for exciting news. Where we're going, we need roads."
    This may refer to the long-awaited Squadron 42 roadmap.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

That is assuming it ever comes out. And after all this time, if it doesn't s**t gold bars it will be a let down. I am amazed anyone still sticks up for this game. It has gone beyond a joke, beyond even a meme.

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yeah, again I have cooked this over in my thoughts. I believe if it technically achieves things that other games have not (the seamless-ness and scope, for example) and is a genuinely good game, I think they will be forgiven for quite a lot.

I am more concerned just how much longer they are going to need, it could be several more years regardless of their roadmap. They had an internal roadmap for 2014 , 2015 , 2016 etc etc.

I like the Back to the Future reference.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm pretty sure 'something' will be released.And while pooing gold bars would be nice, I'm fairly confident it'll be decent enough.

I wouldn't say I'm sticking up for the game, certainly not to the extent that some of the more rabid backers do. Just going to wait and see what happens - it's not like I can do anything else now anyway.

Oh, on a side note: I can't get a refund or sell my stuff on. Looks like I'm really in this for the long haul - which is my own fault. Ho hum.

Fizzban likes this.
  17. rollo

rollo Modder

I think even 2020 is looking unrealistic at this point, And thats what 9 years in development. Would be my idea of development hell.

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Stop the press everyone, Rollo has arrived on the thread to point out how long development it taking....again.

IanW and edzieba like this.
  19. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Did a bit of flying around over the weekend, the game is performing a ton better on my system these days. I can actually fly without major stutter on my 3440x1440 monitor... it's a pain to have to constantly reset the FOV scaling whenever I launch the game though.

Have to launch in 1920x1080, set the FOV lower and then resize the game to 3440x1440...
    Having put a decent bit of money into the project, I'm just hopeful.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I worded it badly. I didn't mean to suggest that you were defending the game at all, just that I don't get how some people still are.

It is odd actually, I'm annoyed on all your behalves that it has taken this long. I don't actually have any money down on this myself. Ranting for the fun of it I guess?