1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ Mini-Splash, less than a Gallon water cooled SFF gaming PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Goatee, 8 Dec 2018.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have decided to crack on with another build after my last one ended so unsatisfactorily.

Rather than continue with attempting to passively cool my gaming PC I will take the simpler option and watercool. My plan is to end up with a small, compact fully watercooled PC. I am hoping to stay under a completely arbitrary 1 gallon limit. (1 UK gallon is ~4.55L).

So I start out with a sheet of 3mm aluminium

[​IMG]

With a bit of drilling, some tapping and some amazing little cubes it can stand up all on its own.

[​IMG]

Some measuring, a bit more drilling and tapping plus some stand-offs may give you an idea of whats coming up shortly.

[​IMG]

Ahhh, look a little donor board for playing around with.

[​IMG]

Isnt it soo pretty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Why are you taking the heatsink off you may ask?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its now all starting to take shape. However I dont like the fact the ram will block all airflow across the board.

[​IMG]

So its time to swap the donor board for an alternative and we have something a bit more interesting! Obviously as we are talking about liquid volumes we need some water cooling in there.

[​IMG]

Added to the board is a CPU block / pump from a Fractal Design Kelvin CLC.

If im using a CPU block I also need a radiator! Given the size of the build I will be using a dual 80mm rad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And thats where I am up to.

I have a GPU waterblock in the post and the rest of the pieces for the case is on order.

Questions, thoughts, feedback?

arduum and Cheapskate like this.
  2. EKJake

EKJake EK Forum Rep

Curious to see the cables routed and what you're doing for the other half of the power brick. I have two of the HDPlex units for a SFF build, but the bricks aren't available yet :(

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's a nice dream, but you know the cable connectors won't let you use that baseplate's footprint. Think the PSU would pack in over the I/O?
    Option B: multi-layered side panels that add space for just the stuff that sticks out, like the top of the pump and connector wires. It would give the build a little style too. You could even move the fans outside and clad them. At this size, epoxy works wonders.
    These builds are fun. :D

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

@Cheapskate Oh ye of little faith. :grin:
    @EKJake some routing is coming up

Some more work today using some HAD (Hardboard Aided Design).

First thing was to add a back plate.
    [​IMG]

Then cut a PCIE slot behind the motherboard tray.
    [​IMG]

I need some way of getting the PCIE cable through the main "spine plate" so I added some stand-offs and drilled and expanded (not shown) to allow the PCIE x4 cable to pass through.
    [​IMG]

I drilled a secondary hole to bring the 19V power off the board. The 6 pin connector is trimmed to allow the cable to bend up into the hole closer to the PSU. I will sleeve this in future.
    [​IMG]

Here is a few more shots of where I ended up for the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Nice work!
    Looking forward to the next update

Goatee likes this.
  6. Cheapskate

Wait, did you just cheat and swap out to a wider board? :lol: Joking. I do like the idea of having the top of the pump peeking through the side panel. You have a lot of space over the motherboard that could be stepped back... or filled with reservoir!

7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

The actual base plate I use will be slightly larger (3mm) wider than the one I am showing, but at the front not the back.

So here is update 3!

I put my single slot GPU in there to show what I'm trying to achieve. My expectation is that once the block arrives I can put it on this GPU to get the single slot I need. Nothing has really progressed on the build just some multi angle shots.

I will be swapping out the long x4 for a shorter cable

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Hopefully I can show what I might be able to fill it with in my next update

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ah so this is what you wanted the Katana for!

Goatee likes this.
  10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yep! It’s sat in a different case for a while but I got bored and needed a new project.

I have a couple of projects lined up. Been thinking about this for a while.

11. Cheapskate

Well, if it was me, I'd be adding usb ports. These tiny boards are great, but they never have enough ports. It's fun to guess what you're up to, so please put up with my gibberish.
    (Holy sh*t. 10,000 posts? :worried: )

Goatee likes this.
  12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

So update 4! I finished building the main external frame using some more HAD.

[​IMG]

Its accurate to around 2mm in terms of the final size, which is enough for what I'm doing at the moment.

I have noticed a problem with where I plan to put the GPU. The inlet side of the GPU does not make it easy to run from the outlet of the CPU pump block.

[​IMG]

This will require me to have a think about routing the tubing to avoid cross over.

@Cheapskate congrats on the milestone but you are thinking too simple! Although that might be something else I add :)

What do you think could be going in the section in white? 40mm x 58mm x 181mm ..........

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Dec 2018
    Defyant Mods likes this.
  13. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

No ideas on the white area?

************ Update 5 incoming ************

So this update is a bit different, no pictures of hardboard models, I will be taking the Pump / Block apart to figure out how I could do cable routing. Now I could just have taken the picture from the instruction manual to figure things out, but where is the fun in that?

This is the block turned upside down, screws removed.

[​IMG]

Next you see the inner pump workings to figure out where the water flows in. Red in, Blue out.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is important as it shows there are two ports and both feed the central reservoir.

I've added the flow plate back in now and you can see where the pump pushes the water against the copper plate (not pictures) which sits against the CPU. The pumps drives the water out in a spiral pattern to fill the microchannels. The fluid is then driven back out the exit of the pump block.

[​IMG]

Based on that I now know I can put a fill port at the bottom of the loop directly into the pump block and the inlets and outlets I previously identified are correct.
    [​IMG]

I was able to remove the scratched Fractal pump logo.

[​IMG]

I quite like the plain look.

14. Cheapskate

Surely you don't intend to stuff the laptop brick in there? -You madman.
    plumbing: If it's a modular top gpu block, I'd make a new part that could be fit directly to the radiator. You seem more like a JAM IT kind of guy, though. :lol:

15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I don't know how to take that, I will have you know I'm a precision engineer! :)

I'm not quite sure how I would achieve a replacement top, I assume just create a new acrylic piece for the top?

Mini-update:

The following are still on order:

Shorter riser cable - ETA ~ Today
    Waterblock - ETA ~ 7 days

[​IMG]

Panels to replace the HAD, ETA ~ 7 days

I hope to have this up and running around Christmas time. :)

16. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

A res :rock: loving the layout so far, damm this is ganna be a tight one :naughty:

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I don't think a crossover would be bad, but if you don't like that what about rotating the pump-block 180?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Dec 2018
    Goatee likes this.
  18. Cheapskate

Yeah, that's what I meant. Something sturdy like acetal would let you lower the right screw mount, and you could bore the outlet hole facing the radiator. You could silicone a hardline tube directly to it to get rid of the fitting you don't have room for too.

Goatee likes this.
  19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I will have a play around :)

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

***** Update 6.5 ******

A load of parts have arrived or are due imminently!

1) A shorter x4 pice powered riser has arrived, unfortunately its just about 15mm too short! Doh! So I will need to use a 90 degree riser in there, which should arrive shortly.

2) The special waterblock for the 1070 katana has arrived from China. Its nicely made and I took some photos in the garage before I fitted it to the block but they didn't come out that well. The big brucie bonus is that due to the design of the Katana (it has VRM's at the IO end of the card, with the GPU towards the back near the 8 pin power connector) the water flow is the opposite way round to flow over the GPU chip first. This means I will have a simpler loop and no modding or complicated tubing routing required. Apologies for the lack of front money shot of the block, that came out as blurred as a photocopier print after a Christmas party.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3) Just got a dispatch note from the manufacturer of the case components, only 2 1/2 weeks after I ordered it on a 3 day service :)

This is where I'm up to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got some interesting hard tubing routings to complete and figure out why the mosfet to switch the hdplex is playing silly buggers.

Wiring diagram I am using for anyone interested.

[​IMG]