1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD pricing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 18 Dec 2018.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I finally upgraded from an i5-2500k z68 platform to an i7-6700k z170 with an M.2 port and I've been watching for a good deal on an NVMe drive. I missed the Samsung 970 Evo when it was on sale for £90 on Black Friday because I wanted to see what other deals I could find on that day. Today it is on for £90 again at Amazon. I just ordered it so that I don't miss it a second time.

The thing is, I'm wondering if prices are still coming down and I will be able to afford a 1TB soon. The Samsung 860 Evo 1TB was on for £100 a week ago. The Crucial MX500 1TB is £128.99

Are prices expected to keep coming down soon? I would like to get a decent M.2 NMVe 1TB for somewhere around £120-149. I will wait until boxing day to open it.

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Amazons return window is until 31st January for the moment, so plenty of time to wait and see if prices do drop further.

silk186 likes this.
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Deleted my last post as I misread the Amazon link.

I wouldn't get too hung up on having a 1TB NVMe. I run with a 256 Sammy NVMe and install all my games on multiple larger capacity SSDs. Games do not benefit from loading speeds over and above traditional SSD bandwidth. There was either a LTT or Gamer's Nexus video on this a while back, so unless your primary focus is an ultra clean, minimalist build, then don't worry about it.

4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Methinks you need to be more spontaneous and if you see a good deal drop on it @silk186, it's either that or you'll always be waiting for greener grass.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That’s how mine is; 256GB NVMe and then a standard 1TB drive that’s still in M.2 form.

I’ve never seen games load at more than 250 MBps which is less than half what the drive is rated for.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018
  7. Thewelder

Thewelder What's a Dremel?

Tad off topic,sorry but curious
    how your 6700k cpu usage is compared to your 2500k.I just upgraded also from a 2500k to a 9700k....my cpu usage with my 2500k was at %100 now %70 with the 9700k in black ops 4.the 6700k is really nice..

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

My plan is to get a large 2.5" SSD when prices come down more, preferably 2-4TB (and I find stable work).
    In the meantime, I will get one M.2 drive for OS and games.

That's getting close.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018
  9. silk186

silk186 Derp

I couldn't say, I don't play many FPS games and don't touch multiplayer. I don't monitor CPU usage in games and I was playing on a 280x with a 60Hrz monitor. I haven't really played any games since my upgrade as I'm in the final stages of editing my thesis. I upgraded because I was having stability issues.

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'd hardly encourage using BO4 as a yardstick for efficient CPU usage.

It's the coding equivalent of a movie directed by Stevie Wonder, narrated by Helen Keller.

11. Thewelder

Oh...any ideas what to use besides the only game I play in everyday usage?

Nice setup u have there also..8700k@5ghz,1080ti !

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you want an apples to apples comparison, you need to have a 'canned' benchmark that's repeatable EXACTLY. Most of these are synthetic; however, something like Unigine Valley or Superposition is repeatable down to every single frame, time and time again - so it's very easy to identify the delta in performance between old systems and new.

If you wanted to compare your new system to an identical setup to establish if it's performing as expected, then download the latest 3DMark benchmark and upload your results to their servers. There, you can compare your score to systems with identical hardware. The one thing it doesn't accurately account for is your overclock as it often misreports the clock speeds used BUT it's still a useful metric nonetheless.

silk186 likes this.
  13. Thewelder

Oh OK ty :)

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Most of the things like 3dmark and superposition are basically just pushing GPU and not system, there are a number of games that have a canned benchmark you can use that will push CPU and GPU, best to look at CPU reviews and see what games and settings are being used then you can replicate and compare.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yeah, I'd agree with that for the most part, although you can still clearly see the performance delta between scores with different CPUs with otherwise identical builds, so there's still merit in them.

For an in-game canned benchmark, recent games like Far Cry 5, Ghost Recon Wildlands and a few others have quite gruelling short canned benchmarks but you can't then compare them to identical systems - which is what Thewelder wants to do if he's to see a measurable metric of his upgrade.

Tags: