1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

Man, I just tried this game and would love to explore more, but it's so much of a grind in supercruise just sitting on my phone. I feel I'm better off watching CMDR Josh Hawkins videos and playing No Man's Sky while waiting for X4.

2. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Well after a little stint with some fellow commanders and some well paying wing missions, I became wealthy enough to get an Imperial Cutter. I know the Federal Corvette seems to be preferred by the ED community but I really like the cutter!

Insane shield tank with a size 8 generator and a bunch of shield boosters, even better if engineered. Using a pulse turret setup for all weapons slots but the huge (for which I use a size 4 gimbled multi-cannon) it's actually pretty nice in combat.

Just go easy on docking, as it's massive and drifts a bit :)

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

The Corvette is a really nice ship, especially when engineered.

I am still working on mine, but I need to go collecting materials in order to do the engineering that I want from Dirty Drive tuning, shield boosters need maxing out and so do the shields.

As it stand's at the moment, it can easily handle 3 ships attacking it at once and makes mince meat of all ships with my 2 Huge Beams, and the rest being Multi Cannons, got a few shield cell banks but barely have to use them.

The downside to this build is the power usage, even with a Guardian Power Plant it's still using around 90% of the power available and starts to overheat when refuelling but I have been playing long enough to be able to avoid it properly overheating.

My Anaconda is now up to 73Ly but still needs alot of work doing to it, hoping to get over 80Ly but need the materials for it.

My Asp is at around 60Ly and again still needs mod's.

My Fer De Lance though is a monster it will destroy most ships quite quickly but it's shields are not great.

I really need to spend a couple of days just getting the materials and data and then I can go and engineer everything but, that would entail not getting bored within a few minutes of doing it, but one day I will get there and then I may take either my corvette or fdl in to open and see if someone tries to gank me and if they do, I will see how long I last.

I don't like the Cutter or Clipper, they are nice ships but I just don't like the way they look in terms of the cockpit or the way they fly.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I finally bought the season pass. I haz questions...
    Have co-op multiplayer systems been beefed up?
    If not, what is worth seeing/doing since I last played it (in 2015)?

Last edited: 13 Dec 2018
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Just purchased base game today. I guess there is a big learning curve? online videos might come in handy

6. oscy

oscy Modder

There are tutorials in the menu.

It's just like any other space flight sim. You just need to know how to move, dock, land, target, shoot and open the cargo bay really.

Mr Happy likes this.
  7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, so - the tutorials will teach you the basics of HOW to play - but they won't actually lead you into the game. Its like 'here are some basic skills' GOOD LUCK OUT THERE CMDR!

The learning curve is brutal. There are so many little things you work out as you go along. If you can play with someone else, I recommend it. Also, if you want to invest in VR, now is the time, because Elite is balls to the wall incredible in VR.

As a basic path for your first 10 - 20 hours, my advice would be to earn few credits doing some basic data/material delivery missions in your sidewinder. These are simply 'deliver x to x' which will help you figure out how to use the galaxy and system maps etc. Then upgrade to a Cobra (300k Cr) when you can, fit it with guns for maybe bounty hunting, along with a kill warrant scanner, or some cargo bays for material delivery, and then when you can afford it buy a Lakon 6 (1m CR) and do more delivery missions. At that point you'll have figured out what you want to do.

Top tip for delivery missions: make sure you pick up the materials after accepting the mission - you do this by clicking into the mission on the mission board and hitting the + sign on the button on the right. You'll figure it out.

Mr Happy likes this.
  8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes - you can now create squadrons (cost 10m) - but also Wings if you're just playing with a few friends. If you complete missions in a wing, you both share the profits. You can slave jump drives to each others ships too, and select the same target as your wingmate etc.

VipersGratitude likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yes. So much this. Even though I only owned an Oculus DK2, Elite in VR is a mindblowing experience.

10. VipersGratitude

CMDR Zoon?

11. VipersGratitude

Anyone else looking to wing up?

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

CMDR B1GBUD if anyone wants to wing up

13. VipersGratitude

Sent a friend request

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Adding you now, we're both under different names so it'll be roulette!

15. veato

veato I should be working

I re-installed Elite on the new PC after not playing for quite some time. Re-mapped the buttons on my HOTAS and forgot how to do EVERYTHING. Still, it looks much prettier now and I enjoyed my return so much I bought Horizons on my lunch break. Will hopefully have a peek at it tonight.

I'm still only flying a kitted out Viper IV with 4m in the bank as after a previous break I lost everything I had and has to restart in a Sidewinder.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So is anyone still playing? I've just worked my way up to Petty Officer in the Federation so I could earn the Sol permit. I have a Dolphin outfitted for long-range luxury travel and a Viper MkIII outfitted for combat. I need to work up my rep with the local Sol factions before I can start earning some proper money... (Or I might just go back to Kruger 60 where I've been hanging out for a while). I've got about 21m in cash at the moment and my Dolphin is worth about 13m.

17. oscy

oscy Modder

At first I thought you were confused and talking about an X game. They all use the same names!

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I loaded it back up a while back. Did a bit of power play for a change, a bit of exploring but then lost the will again a couple of weeks ago.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Post copy/pasted from here...

I started off doing my usual passenger runs, until I read about asteroid core mining and void opals; one single mining run netted me over 150m credits... Nice... :happy: Damned tedious finding the right asteroids, but damned worth it.

I've got somewhere close to 500m credits in assets and cash now so it gives me a lot of flexibility to try out different play styles with quite low risk. I think I'm going to try and hit Elite in Trade so I can get the Founder's World permit and access Jameson Memorial. It's a bit of a trek from my "home" system, but it'll be nice to have a port where all ships and all modules are available without having to traipse about the place. Plus the combined 12.5% discount will be nice, especially when modules like A-class drives and thrusters are starting to cost 50m/100m+ for some of my ships...! I'd like to rank up with some of the Engineers also, but all that resource gathering looks tedious af.

Convinced my brother to pick up E: D+Horizons also, so it'll be good to have someone to fly with and do multi-crew/wing stuff. If anyone still playing wants to wing up or form a squadron then give me a shout.

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am currently doing the Hutton Truckers Hot Mess thing, delivering a Mug to every station in the game.

Enjoying it again though.