1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features The Best Games of 2018

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Dec 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

AND NOW SUBNAUTICA IS FREE FROM EPIC :) AND IT IS AMAZING :)

B1GBUD likes this.
  3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

You just saved me £14

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

It's we worth the 14 quid. I'd pay that just to avoid using the epic launcher and to supprot the dev.

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'm sure the dev isn't giving it away for free, they'll be a mutually beneficial deal else why would they even bother?

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Its good promotion for their soon to be Arctic expansion. But yes I'm sure epic paid them to help push their new platform with 'free' copies.

Even so, Subnautica was an early access success story and a fine game. The Devs are deserving of support unlike some of the tripe pooped out by so called 'AAA' game Devs these days :)

7. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I really wanted to love Forza Horizon, but the wheel support is truly terrible! Similarly I tried VR with Subnautica, which was fantastic right up until you need to strafe or turn around with the controller: The first time I've felt anything truly vom-inducing in VR.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...what about the worst of 2018?

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's excellent that you guys remembered Subnautica, it seems to have been forgotten by a lot of the gaming press, buried under the tide of late year open world games. Easily my favourite game of the year and a well deserved success for Unknown Worlds after stolen Steam Keys almost ran them out of business five years ago.

lthough it's technically an expansion, I loved Prey: Mooncrash and the other technically no a new game I loved was No Man's Sky: Next. Mooncrash was just a giggle, turning the FPS-RPG into a roguelike is genius. No Man's Sky finally delivered a quality game, albeit two years late. It doesn't redeem Hello Games and Sony for the marketing shite show, but to plug away at it for two years and get it right deserves some respect.

For me, Fallout 76, Battlefield 5, NBA whatever the eff it was called, no particular order needed, they were all three of them awful for all the same reasons. BF5 was the least awful, but that's rather like saying Chlamydia is better than Gonorrhea.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Notable omissions include but are not limited to:
    Ni no Kuni II, Yakuza 6, Spyro, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-man...

Not really a game, but all the Far Cry 5 DLC has been absolute dreck.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2018
  11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have not played BFV yet, but other than that for me it has been a real s**t shower.

2019 first quarter has two games I really want (new Metro and FC New Dawn which I've already paid for).

I did manage to snag BFV earlier, and having watched videos on performance it actually matches a 2080 in DX12 which made me really happy. Nice to see all of that power from the wall going to use :D

Oh aye, absolutely piggin' awful. Played two for about an hour each, then decided to just go back to the main world and start working on all of the side quests and stashes. The DLC was truly bloody terrible. I am just glad I got it really cheap on CDKeys.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Other possibilities: Ni no Kuni II (as Anfield mentioned), Disgaea 5 (PC release, but otherwise doesn't count), Dragon Quest XI, Helium Rain (despite its flaws), Bio Inc. Redemption, X4 (again, despite flaws).

I would like Forza Horizon 4, but right now... time...
    "May you live in interesting times" isn't called a curse for no reason...

13. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

If you want Hitman 2 (and you really should) but didnt buy Hitman 2016, then get Hitman 2016 GOTY as cheap as you can instead of buying the Legacy pack for Hitman 2.

That way you get Hitman 2016 to play AND the Legacy pack (remastered versions of 2016) for free for Hitman 2.

Despite being essentially the same levels they are very different experiences and Hitman 2016 is much harder. So you get both lots to play instead of just Hitman 2 version.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What is that you look forward to in FC New Dawn? Just curious because I much prefer Rage 2 if I want my post-apocalyptic fix of neon pink and punk. FC lost its appeal to me over the years, basically ever since it turned into a typical Ubi scour-the-map-a-thon game.

15. Vault-Tec

FC lost its appeal to me half way through the first game, but FC5 in co op is right up there for me. I'd have probably enjoyed 3 and 4 if they had co op.

Not sure about RAGE 2 will wait on reviews, but FC new dawn is just the follow up to FC5 so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it in co op.

16. perplekks45

Hmmm... co op. Interesting.

Well, I watched the latest trailer for FCND and for a good while thought I was watching a new trailer for Rage 2. Given I'm a sucker for all things id and I really enjoyed the first Rage (except the ending, obviously), I'm hooked already.

17. Vault-Tec

The only real difference is I know exactly what to expect in the new Far Cry, 'cause I've already played it (if that makes sense). It's so close to being FC5 (just a follow on) that I already know exactly what to expect.

Yeah, it's a blast in co op. It's a funny enough game as it is, but even funnier in co op. My mate and I had a real laugh, especially over quests like "Testie festy" and so on.

RAGE 2? I'm not so sure about. RAGE was good, but not great. It was like Doom vs Half Life. Yeah there is plenty to shoot and the shotgun is immensely satisfying, but the whole RPG bit lacked a bit of spark for me. Graphics were stunning, though. Plus Bethesda want £60 for it (not the £28 or so I paid for New Dawn with my Uplay coins) so yeah, deffo gonna wait. Bethesda only have themselves to blame for that after Fallout 76. I will never, ever buy another one of their games now until I see it score over 90%. Everything else I will avoid like the clap, 'cause they have made it obvious they are all about the money and nothing else.

18. perplekks45

Makes me sad to agree, but Bethesda has been changing. And by doing that they hurt id who are but a powerless little developer.

Maybe I'll give FC5 a shot in q1.

19. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I had high hopes for FC5 from the premise/trailers but I think it was the worst yet (apart from Primal, which I haven't played). They got rid of the radio towers but somehow managed to make the game even more repetitive than the others. The mute protagonist was a huge backward step in terms of storytelling and immersion for me.

They both have co-op.

Tags: Add Tags