1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant WOW - Scan really are bad..............(again?)

Discussion in 'General' started by Bazz, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

So, thought I'd treat myself this Christmas with some new Ubiquiti switches, 2 of their US-24's
    Decided to order from Scan, had a really bad experience with them in 2004, but have placed about 8 orders with them since without too much trouble (not a big spender I know).

Had to finance the order but not a problem, V12 paperwork went through, credit agreed etc. all good.
    Placed the order on the 23rd Dec, asked for pre-noon Wednesday delivery (sorry my body clock is way off after realising the date), but accepted it would be with me last week.
    So V12 sent over the payment details (according to them), and I contacted Scan last week to see what was happening, there did appear to be a problem and was advised of this, happy to wait.
    Was told that it would be Monday before anything would happen.

So, Monday came and bam, nothing, no emails no contact, so I decided to contact them.
    (no names mentioned)
    Basically it has gone from being investigated last week, resolved last week to needing investigating today, the person in web chat even left whilst I was waiting for an update.
    I recontacted them an hour later only to find out that now it is the finance companies fault.
    No order number, no order reference, no reference to an order, request or anything from Scan (though I have a nice credit agreement from V12).

To say I am miffed is an understatement, I expected Scan to be better than this, no info, conflicting info, investigation but resolved then an investigation again!

I have to use Scan for work purposes, but I shall never use them again for personal use after this.

/RANT OVER

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Scan are awful. The only companies I will order from now are OCUK and Amazon. Both have exceptional customer service, especially OCUK.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Sounds like it's time to excersize your right to cancel the finance agreement.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Never had an issue with Scan, it's the only place I will order hardware from.

Will never use Aria again after my last experience with them, kinda related to the issue with OCUK which I will never order hardware from either.

I will use both of them for the likes of Mouse Mat's, Thermal Paste etc but never anything that can go faulty and cause me to have to deal with the dire customer services of both OCUK and Aria.

Long winded story but OCUK banned me from going there or purchasing from there because I returned parts that were faulty, the person that issued the ban then moved on to working for Aria.

5. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Yup done

6. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Purchased a few items from OCUK, but their prices seem to be mostly higher than everywhere else, the orders I have placed are usually OK.
    ARIA - stopped using them when they used YODEL, though aware they do use DPD now (my fav courier) haven't used them for at least 5 years.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've had a hit and miss experience with Scan a number of times too.

I always went with OCUK, even if they were slightly more expensive, because their service is second to none.

8. Vault-Tec

I just post in the customer service area of the forum. Every issue I have had has been resolved very quickly, by tech minded people. Try explaining an incompatibility to Amazon....

When was this dude? ever since Caseking took over they have been ace.

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Before Caseking took them over, but there prices still to this day are stupidly high compared to other places.

I have heard a few horror stories about them from friends since Caseking took over them, but not as often as before.

@OP

Cancel your finance agreement and look elsewhere, that is if they don't get it sorted asap that would be my advise but it will depend on your circumstances.

10. Vault-Tec

Oh yeah before caseking took over I wouldn't have touched them with a poo-ey stick tbh. Just what I heard about them was bad enough to stop me buying.

They really are exceptional now though. Seriously, can't speak highly enough of them. I have had three things go missing in the post now and they've either refunded me after about 4 days or sent me replacements.

I got done by Scan and their disgusting illegal return policy once. That was enough for me. I've bought stuff that only they had twice since, but I have gone through Ebay and Paypal so they can't make up their 15% nonsense restocking fee and then the initial free postage /roll eyes.

Yeah, I don't do business with companies like that. Ebuyer can whistle too after the £3500 experience I had with them. Yodel... Dear god..... I still have nightmares to this day.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've never quite got over my last ocuk order. 40gb ide and 80gb SATA. Got an 80gb SATA and a 160gb SATA. Phoned them up, they confirmed that the order I placed was for a 40 and an 80. Went to their "store" to swap the items. They decided I was trying to scam them and I spent four hours arguing that a drive with 0 powered on hours that was not what ordered, more expensive than what I ordered, was not a scam for me to get what I ordered.

Scan have never had a penny of my business that I can remember because it's always seemed an arseache to order from them, and no cheaper than at the time kustompcs and eventually ebuyer.

12. Vault-Tec

Yeah see now that is the sort of attitude I can not deal with. The whole "Well he is returning something or has a problem, so the tight alarm must go off and refuse outright to help !". That is what I felt from Scan. Their attitude seems to be "any problem is your problem not ours". Ebuyer were particularly rude and unsympathetic.

Caseking however? are awesome. I mean, that is really who you are buying from now. Instead of their staff being on high alert for problems and shooting any one who dares raise their hand with a problem they now just deal with it, fast. Bailey and etc? are made of gold. They never argue the toss with me as smaller companies do. Hell, most of the time they must lose money sending my orders, because I will order things for 99p with free shipping. They have to then put that in a brand new padded envelope and send it to me, complete with printed invoice and a bag of haribo. But they have never complained, nor refused to honour a small order. It just gets done.

We've seen recently how bent out of shape Novatech are. It's in these situations where a company can really shine (like Corsair in the past, and others). Sometimes it's worth taking a slight loss in order to do what's right and keep your karma flowing high.

But yeah, I can't deal with a company who sees every problem as yours.

And d'you know what? it keeps me coming back. I can't remember the last time I bought something PC related from anywhere else. I mean sure, if they just haven't got what I am after then I will go Amazon, but for everything else I order from OCUK. Like, I actually want to order from OCUK.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm. Always been plain sailing with Scan, OCUK etc.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Only ever had one issue with Scan where they sent me a returned Corsair H100i as a new product for a friends build, missing brackets and dusty so clearly 2nd hand. They explained it was a warehousing error, which I was disappointed but understanding about. I got a new one the next day and a game code by way of apology.

I've even driven the couple of hundred miles up to their store twice and it's a very professional setup. When I bought my previous Z170 setup to replace my X58, the Asus Hero board was DOA and I'd already shifted on my X58. I had taken two days off work to get it built so decided to drive to Bolton and exchange it face to face. They tested it there and then whilst I waited, gave me coffee while they were testing and replaced it with an EVGA model which was more expensive at no extra cost. The front of house staff were great, knowledgeable and enthusiasts themselves.

So, positive experiences from me and I've been using them for the last 8 or so years because of that. I think anyone can have a bad dealings with even the most reliable retailer though, so understand your reticence, especially as it's not the first time.

15. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Does Scan , OCUK and CClonline still do free postage?

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I suspect that most Scan customers have no problems, as Is likely the case with most online retailers but, it does seem that when they get it wrong, they don't hold back.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Scan do, OCUK Don't, and not sure about CCL.#

Sam

18. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Contacted ebuyer (though don't like using them) items ordered 30 mins ago, will be here tomorrow morning.
    Strange, Scan got back to me and blamed it on Black Friday (WTF?)

19. Vault-Tec

I just had an Amazon prime market seller blame Amazon for my thermal paste taking over 9 days counting and still not here.

TBH? most of us, most of the time, won't have issues with any company until it comes down to the crunch and we require assistance. That is when it's make or break. I mean, people don't post all of the time "Just bought loads of stuff from Ebuyer. All arrived on time perfect brilliant etc etc". However, when they get screwed? you can be sure they'll be vocal about it.

Me? I just don't buy from suspicious people who assume you are guilty of screwing them over, whilst refusing to see the facts.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If it's available through Amazon Prime, then it *is* Amazon's fault: all Amazon Prime items are held in and shipped from Amazon warehouses, whether they're sold by Amazon or by third-party Marketplace sellers. At least, that was my understanding.