1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Critique my planned Gaming PC Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 29 Dec 2018.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Bonarse! What ever you do make sure to post some build pron shots up for us to ogle at.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

DON'T buy that. it's horrid, and needs quite severe cutting in order to work. It's also destructive (meaning you need to cut out all of your PCI slots). Cablemod? do one that doesn't require any cutting. It's also not as far back as that CM one.

I had to cut mine up to move the card forward, as it was fouling on the thumb nuts for my CPU block.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I had to basically cut it up to move the card away from the mobo, giving me an entire PCI sized slot behind where the card once sat. It was a major PITA. The ribbon works well, though.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It is indeed destructive. I wasn’t a fan of it and sold it as soon as I got rid of the chassis it was in.

Easiest alternative: get a case with the option already there, or supported by the manufacturer like the Lian Li as above.

4. The_Crapman

Yeesh! Good job there's an official one.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

In the end it didn't really matter to me because the mods I made were permanent, but yeah you would have real headaches using that in a rig you don't want to take a dremel to.

It's funny how I basically modded it and invented a way for the card to have some wiggle room (an entire slot) yet the guy Cooler Master hired to do it didn't. Was actually talking to the kiddo yesterday (started the build) and was telling him how basically the case industry relies on modders to basically come up with all of the good stuff you see integrated into cases now. It's so true though. Cases would still look like ass inside otherwise.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Will do! Ordered my LIAN-LI PC-O11DW today. Fortunately Quidco were offering £10 cashback on a spend of £100+ at Currys. Sweetened the deal! :grin:

Also ordered an i9-9900K. Think I'll opt for the Gigabyte Z390 Master and the Gigabyte Aorus memory, which is especially nice as it comes with two dummy modules for the RGB win!

Vault-Tec, Arboreal and The_Crapman like this.
  7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Hopefully the master doesn't have the bios issue the lower z390 Aorus board has, 9900k only boosts to 4.7 on the latest bios without changing any settings.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The case arrived today. WOW! Really impressive bit of kit. It's so so easy to take off all the panels and get to the guts of the case. Did have my doubts about the glass as it did appear very clear in the review videos I watched but thankfully it does have a slightly smokey tint. Not too over the top though. Some mild RGB should really bring it to life. Might invest my remaining Currys credit into some Corsair RGB fans.

If I can get a hold of one at discount I might treat my system to a ROG Matrix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti...

[​IMG]

Availability might hold me back though! :sad:

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. The_Crapman

Nah, get yourself one of these bad boys!
    [​IMG]
    :grin::thumb::naughty:

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I would but... I'm lazy! :grin:

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

Me too. That's why it took me 3 months to dismantle my rig and upgrade last year and I've just got a new gpu so will be pulling stuff out again soon :rollingeyes: Although with separate loops and just a gpu swap it shouldn't be too bad.

12. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

What resolution are you gaming at? I ask because even though this card looks awesome it must surely be wallet crushing even with a discount.
    I do love that you are thinking of going for a single card - SLI support is almost non existent again from both NVIDIA and the publishers (Crossfire support is also crap but that's irrelevant as AMD are leagues below NVIDIA at the top end - fingers and toes crossed that this might change this year).

I can't believe that I am asking this but if you aren't gaming at 4k with all the bells and whistles then do you really need this card?
    I really do feel weird asking this as I have probably wasted more money on GPU's than most on here (Titan X SLI for example) - maybe I have finally learnt my lesson (doubt it). This is the first time in my life that I don't want to spend money on the top end GPU. Do you really want ray tracing as it is now in such a few games? Even if the number of games using it improves, does it matter to you?

If you need it then go for it (that's how I always convinced myself), personally I would now rather buy a 2080, watercool it (the heatkiller IV is an amazing block - I had them on my Titan X's) and overclock the nuts off it. It would probably work out at around the same cost and yet offer better fps.

If ray tracing as it is now is what you are looking for then this is the card for you; enjoy the games that support it - both of them ;)

On a separate note - are you really going to stand around admiring the view when you play? or are you actually going to play and then maybe, eventually, notice the difference that ray tracing offers? To me the 2080ti is the most diversive card ever produced. I love good graphics and a very high fps, if it looks photo realistic then that's a bonus - but not a bonus I will pay extra for.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Only 1440p so not that demanding. This will be my third ground up PC build so I intend it to last a few years to come! I think 2012 was the year I built my signature rig, that has been progressively upgraded over the years. Initially I'll be transferring a GTX 980 Ti and 6TB HDD from the old build to this new PC. Have a rough budget of £800 to £1000 for the build excluding GPU. Employee discount gives me 30% to 50% off retail for some of the pricier components which helps keep costs down!

Probably go for an RTX 2080 in the end. Really like the look of the AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 XTREME WATERFORCE 8G...

[​IMG]

Yes.... no... maybe, not sure! :thumb:

14. The_Crapman

I stop and look at mine all the time. I've been able to go on it much lately, but I switch it on for a while at least once a week to stop the pastel coolant clogging and stand and admire it for a bit before leaving.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Don't think I'll do SLI again. Been through quite a few generations from GTX 460, GTX 670, GTX 780 Ti and currently GTX 980 Ti!

So... next decision is the PSU. I can get a great deal on the Seasonic Prime 1200W Platinum. Yes, I know it's overkill but it actually works out cheaper than the other alternatives available to me. The added benefit, compatibility with CableMod custom cables SE-Series!