1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Januhairy.....really

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 5 Jan 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Do we really need this.

If you want to be hairy good on you, personally I prefer the hairless look but if my wife decided to go the other way then fine but I really don't see the need for an actual freaking month to celebrate it. ITS HAIR!!

Same goes for things like Movember and dry January.

Just let people do what they want ffs.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Maybe this is what some people, collectively, want to do?

edzieba and Byron C like this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Movember is about raising money for testicular cancer, so a little different, but in general I dislike 'month of bullshits'. I generally don't like all the 'raising awareness' over things we're all aware of unless you've been hibernating for the last 500 years. We all ****ing know about it, why don't you do something about it, at least by trying to raise some money for charity.

Also I feel there are too many charitys, like the 200 different cancer charitys. Too much money spent on management and admin, not enough on combating it or assisting those with it. Really you only need 3 at most: cancer research for finding treatments, mcmillan for helping people affected by it, marine curie to help those there is no hope for. Does there really need to be a charity for the 2000 different types of cancer plus 500,000 different memorial charities?

Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yes it's just hair, that's exactly the point. The pressure for women to conform to a certain look isn't exactly something that men can easily identify or sympathise with. It's OK for us to have leg hair, armpit hair, facial hair, arse hair, pubic hair, etc; we don't get called disgusting or gross or have people overtly/covertly ridicule us because our armpit hair shows when we wear a sleeveless top or we go a day or two without shaving our legs.

Like I said, it's just hair. You wanna shave it then shave it; you wanna grow it then grow it; you wanna braid it then you braid the sh-- out of it (just try and clean the sh-- out first before you braid your arse hair).

There are a lot of different types of cancer. Can you imagine the bureaucracy involved with just one charity that dealt with research into all types of cancer?

"Cancer" is a "catch-all" designation. Two different types of cancer can be wildly different in diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and cause.

silk186 likes this.
  5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

+1, being autistic i have alot of the autism groups on my social media, and they all parade the flag of Awareness ( hey didnt you know X month is autism awareness month you can do these great things to raise awareness ) , the fact that *autism screeching* is a meme, and that calling people autistic is a common insult over the net these days, id say 99% of people on the internet know of autism... they need to start working towards autism acceptance in modern society, although i fear that is a VERY long way away

on the subject of januhairy, i was told it was for charity anyway

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I think a far more interesting question is if it's now necessary to train yourself, and others, in to being sensitive (and more often, sanctimonious) just to deal with potential social fallout years from now because more and more of our basic behaviours are being kept as a permanent record - And whether it'll reach a tipping point when we collectively agree to abandon social media moral culture since it's simply unrealistic to expect ourselves to be capable of taking the feelings of 7 billion+ other people in to account every time we express a thought.

Cheapskate likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I would love to but nature has other ideas and prefers to leave me needing a hat :(

As for body hair, I hate the stuff - if I could jump in a bath and rid myself of all of it I would.

Then i'd stick it on my head.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

WOULDN'T IT BE TERRIBLE IF EVERYONE STOPPED BEING DICKS TO EACH OTHER?!?!!!!!!111oneeleven

edzieba, Pliqu3011 and bawjaws like this.
  9. The_Crapman

I think the additional money available to push into research would outweigh the bureaucratic bottleneck. Plus pooling the scientific knowledge and research could aid it greatly. I see a lot of stories where team 1 were trying to find a treatment for cancer A, team 2 hears about it, applies it to cancer B and it works. Watson and Crick got massively famous from essentially piecing together the work of 3or4 different scientists like a jigsaw.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My wife has suggested I grow my beard very long, then tie it over the top of my head. I prefer a flat cap.

adidan likes this.
  11. adidan

I may just wait till Fearbruary and grow my ear hair to comb over.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Personally, I can't wait for SeptMember when we get to walk around with our dicks out.

13. adidan

Bugger, am I supposed to wait for a specific month?

TIL

14. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

But thats the problem, its not enough to just not being a dick, you need to be sensitive to whatever masses deem the subject of the day. (Or not giving a f*** constitutes being a dick nowadays?)

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So Movember leads to Decembeard leads to Januhairy...

Because people evidently don't want to admit they just can't be arsed to shave.

The_Crapman and David like this.
  16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Don't forget there's Februhairy too.

17. The_Crapman

That's why I have a beard and I have no qualms telling people as such. It has nothing to do with being an ugly mofo, honest! :worried:

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Jugly is more interesting.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nah, if you can't manage to "not give a f***" without acting like a dick, then maybe... you're a dick?

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  20. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

The thing is offence is taken, not given.

Most times people aren't trying to be dicks; They're not using terms pejoratively, but it's taken that way...And so the term deemed a pejorative is changed to something more benign which, over time, also becomes a pejorative under the same mechanisms. This is the Euphemism Treadmill, so-called because it gives the illusion of going somewhere, without making any actual progress.

It's a lovely thought, that people could stop being dicks, but neuroscience, linguistics, and Team America: World Police tell us something different.