1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2019 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 25 Nov 2018.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Pirelli tyre system for next year announced

Looks like super Hard and super soft dropped due to not being used and wanting to go back to using compounds next to each other rather than missing steps in their numbering system.
    Article doesn't say explicitly if the tyre compounds will be the same as last year or if the hardness etc has been adjusted but it sounds like they will be the same.

IMO it removes some confusion for casual viewers but doesn't solve the problems with how randomly the tyres behave at any given moment

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looking forward to the start of Formula E on Saturday, now with added Felipe Massa.

3. javaman

Opening FE race was Interesting. Massa's overtakes where a joy to watch. Mario Kart style activation for the boost a nice concept maybe F1 could introduce for DRS.
    Fan boost seems to be pointless now IMO.

In other news Wolff explains the Imola and Singapore performance jump for Merc Link

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

The FE race was great, though I feel the technical infringements were a bit of a let down but those with the safety car did give some good very close racing.

Also I noted when the safety car was out the drivers weren't all moaning on the radio the SC was going too slow which was refreshing. Usually end up with Hamilton whinging the SC is going too slow.

Hoping for some slightly more open tracks with more overtaking opportunities going forward.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That may be because a BMW i8 is significantly faster than a Mk2 Formula E car.

I watched the E-Prix, the cars lasting a whole race means they are at least no longer a joke vehicle, but they're still slow, the track still sucked and the stands were a third to half full, so nobody in Saudi gave a flying **** about it either.

I can't help but feel that FE is surviving on the promise of what it might become rather than it's actual show. At times the racing was quite good, but it seems to be very much in spite of the gimmicks surrounding the race. With Audi and Merc involved and motor development 'unlocked' now costs are about to spiral, so they either need to get people to turn up or be faced with all the other brands quietly disappearing.

6. javaman

Weather can't have helped the attendance and I wonder if the circuit wasn't quite in the heart of the city compared to other races.

Look at how many manufacturers are in the sport now. I suspect many I dependant teams won't be able to compete especially if they use manufacturer parts so can't test.

I also think battery development needs unlocked or at least opened to a competitor to push development there like tyre wars of old F1 days. Ultimately battery technology is holding everything back....I want my 7day smartphone battery life!

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC Fe is predominantly if not solely street circuits to make them more 'accessible' for spectators.

The accessibility comes with the price of all the races being dull as **** because everything's on slow, narrow street circuits. I know the Gen 2 car has a theoretical top speed of ~175mph but do they ever come even remotely close to hitting that at any point in the season?

It being full of drivers who couldn't cut it in f1 for whatever reason probably doesn't help with the perception side of things.

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Lets be honest - we're all just waiting for it to become WipeOut.

9. fix-the-spade

Only if they can get the Quake Disruptor working.

If they do manage it the Plasma Bolt should be renamed simply as 'The Pastor,'

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Unsurprising, but a bit sad 'cos he's got excellent hair.

12. fix-the-spade

So that's how Ferrari prevented Binotto from going to Mercedes.

Feel bad for Arrivabene though, the Ferrari has been better and better every year he has been in charge of the team, he can hardly be blamed for Mr Vettel going full wacky races at several critical moments. On that note, Binotto is evidently an outstanding engineer and suitably machiavellian, but will he able to handle all the other stuff that comes with running Ferrari?

On a related note:
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/marko-eases-concerns-after-early-honda-hiccups/
    It begins... bwahahaHAHAHAHA!!!

13. legoman

He is aware they have two drivers...

14. veato

veato I should be working

Stumbled across some reveal dates and places for the new cars:

Renault - Feb 12th - Enstone
    Racing Point - Feb 13th - Toronto
    McLaren - Feb 14th - TBC
    Ferrari - Feb 15th - Maranello

15. legoman

McRenault will be at their factor, well it usually is. Could be at a bus stop in Woking itll draw bigger numbers

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The RBR/Honda fireworks (and tantrums from Max) are going to be a highlight this season, I reckon. Marko will definitely be issuing quit threats before we get to the European leg of the calendar, too.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah McLaren were just boringly resigned to the Honda PU issues. A bunch of dyed-in-the-wool drama queens like RBR should make for a much more entertaining season.

18. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So Bottas' sponsor of the past 20 years has cut ties due to "weak results"... Talk about kick a guy while he's down!

I think him doing wonders in a Williams against Massa will end up being his peak - Bad luck early in the season, being tagged with the "wingman" status, realising he's not as Lewis' level, losing his long-term sponsor before the new season even kicks off... that's A LOT to bounce back from.

19. javaman

I've seen an analysis that it was Binotto's organisation of departments and drive for efficiency that caused Ferrari's turn around rather than anything Arrivabene has done.
    You could also argue that Arrivabene failed to handle Vettel/Raikkonnen at key moments the way Wolff had to with Hamilton/Rosberg or even Horner with Vettel/Webber, Riccardo/Verstappen. The Media handling as well including the blackout was also brought up.

Arguably tho I feel it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction again yet what I know of Binotto he could prove to be excellent.

Bottas had an impossible job, Enter a team that was arguably Hamilton's, perform against one of the top 3 drivers on the grid and in a car that could be argued to be 3rd best at times last season. He's not Hamilton or Rosbergs standard but like Raikkonen who could you replace him with that is guaranteed to be better?
    I reckon the sponsor wanted to leave for whatever reason and blamed Bottas. If anything his weak performance has got him more exposure.

20. fix-the-spade

The smiling assassin himself.
    But then I think Merc were afraid of hiring Ricciardo in case of a Hamilton/Rosberg (or Dan/Max) situation repeating itself.

On the note of Arrivabene/Binotto, Arrivabene promoted him and let him do his job. You would think Ferrari would try to ape Mercedes, with one running the team and one going to deal with the press, but now anything goes wrong and it's Binotto's fault, no more grumpy guy with fabulous hair to hide behind.

I wouldn't wan to ape Horner's team management under any circumstances. His plan seems to be pick a driver and **** on him, regardless of actual performance.