1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Home Automation?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mojo, 8 Jan 2019.

1. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Can we hold an automation party?

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Don't do automatic invites though. Wouldn't want Mr Ye Olde Automation-Hater to get one. He's 42 you know. Doesn't do parties!

jinq-sea likes this.
  3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I ride most days, actually.

Maybe you you try using the thread search button eh?

No hate or aggression, simply a rant. Seems like I set off a couple of nerves, but I can't help it if people took offence.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Smart Doorbell, so you can communicate with Mormons when you're not at home
    Wireless, motorized TRV's if your house is large enough for the investment to make sense.
    Window/door sensors - both as security and to ensure that heat isn't wasted
    Smart locks to allow remote access, or automatically lock once you're a certain distance away
    Automated blinds/curtains
    Smart bathroom mirror...with a mic, not a cam. No one wants to film your genitals, not even Linux
    Kitchen assistant screen for recipes, etc
    Pi-based CCTV (with openCV-based genital blurrer)
    And if you own the house and want to gather data about it, misc environmental sensors.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Hmm, one person's 'rant' could be construed by another as 'aggression'. As I said above, we're all entitled to our opinions, but remember that this forum isn't an aggressive place. A 'rant' about a thing; probably fine. A 'rant' about something that clearly a number of forumites are interested, nay probably passionate about in some cases? That's probably not a harmless 'rant', but having a go at people for what they like to do.

Please don't be a bully. Lively discussion is great, but poo-pooing what people like? That's mean.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

We get it @B1GBUD - you don't like home automation but as said earlier, Mojo asked for ways to automate his home. If you have nothing to offer on how to help him achieve that, then there was little point posting at all, especially as he asked for help, not criticism on his lifestyle choices.

7. jinq-sea

So, in answer to the original question, @Mojo: what is it you're trying to achieve? Start with a few things and get them right, I'd say.

I decided the important things were, in no particular order:
    - Lights which simulate occupancy;
    - Lights which come on when you enter a room (@Mister_Tad 's garage scenario);
    - A door sensor so I know when the front/back doors have been opened;
    - Heating which doesn't blast away when nobody is there; and
    - Automated control of a couple of plugs, to make devices that I use more 'convenient'.

IFTTT is a wonderful thing. I also don't mind having Amazon Echo in my house. I keep it out of the office, because it's the place I 'talk shop', but otherwise, I find it very convenient for the control of things in a room. I like being able to launch Plex, dim the lights, and set some things on the A/V amplifier all with a simple spoken phrase. Makes life nice and easy.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I never set out to intentionally offend or be aggressive towards anyone? how my post was construed as aggression is simply laughable.

If people are offended by "/rant" then add it to the swear filter!

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

My favourite feature of the Nest thermostat isn't the ability to control it remotely (which is rarely used), but it's ability to accurately run the boiler based on the needs of the house.

Unlike a traditional timer that let's say turns on at 4pm (knowing you get home at 5pm), the Nest knows the internal temperature of the house, and the external temperature. It also generates a table of how fast it can heat up vs the leak-off rate. The end result is if the house has dropped in temperature on a cold day, it will turn on early to get the house up to temperature for your return, and on a warm day switches on later so it's not heating unnecessarily. It does this perfectly and will have just touched off to the desired temperature at the requested time.

This allows you to heat the house fully without wasting gas, and makes sure you don't get caught out on cold mornings. I originally only bought one as I needed a thermostat and programmer for a boiler and it was of a comparable price, but when we moved house I fitted one almost immediately. I wouldn't be without one now.

I would almost consider motorised TRVs, but they're big and ugly and make a noise as they adjust and that's just not for me. Zoning, perhaps, but probably not.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I don't think it's so much someone being offended by your rant... if anyone is upset by it they probably need to get out more, y'know, ride bikes and climb trees.

The logic behind your rant is questionable though...

OP: "Hey imma do automation, what automation things do people like"
    You: "I don't use it, it's BS" and so on

It reminds me of the one-star ratings on Google maps with the comment "never been here"

jinq-sea and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Absolutely. I kind of split mine up into money saving features and convenience features, focusing on money saving for the initial spend and then expanding my smart home for convenience.

Like Jinq, I have a voice command for movie time too, among others such as cooking etc. Sat on the sofa, say two words and the lights are off, heating is lowered a couple of degrees, the amp turns on and off we go.

The convenience is great but I'd focus on smart features that will save you money at first. Get the thermostat and your core lighting sorted and then go from there. Depending upon which ecosystem you adopt for lighting will dictate which other features you can integrate further down the line. A bit of early research can save great expense later.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I once got a one-star review on one of my books... 'cos Amazon had sent the guy a copy of it instead of whatever it was he actually ordered. Nothing about the book in the review, just "this isn't what I ordered, one star." Cheers, dude.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Home automation needs to be automated.

But vast majority of "smart" things are just shifting control to the phone.

As such, I prefer automation over app controls. I've done:
    - Tado smart thermostat, set it once and rarely had to touch it.
    - PIR room sensors in most of my living area so that supplement lights can be automatically turned on/off. A lot of the time supplement light is enough if I'm just walking past. Main downlights are still manual control.
    - CCTV outside of the house, as security measure rather than automation.
    - "Pimote" plugs to turn on charging of battery based gadgets when my solar panel is generating excess.
    - The same RPi to tell my computer to turn on and start BOINC when solar panels is generating excess.
    - A timer based automatic blind about 4 years ago, but the motor burned out, so had to go back to old fashioned manual pulley.

To do:
    - Get rid of burglar alarm subscription switch to using the smart PRI room sensors
    - Smart door lock of some kind. Use short range Bluetooth or similar to unlock (I'm thinking same principle as Apple watch unlocking Macbooks), key only as backup. (combined with Model 3 in my dream means I can go completely keyless)
    - Revisit automatic blinds, I hear Ikea are bringing out some?

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Screenshot showing Nest adjusting the switch-on time based on external temperature:

[​IMG]

Note on Tuesday the heating turns on ~ 2:30pm, but by Thursday it's coming on before noon. Fully automated with no intervention, programmed in five minutes flat with zero effort.
    The eagle eyed amongst you will notice it turning on statically in the mornings, this is a configurable option for if you don't want the boiler firing at 3pm, instead it allows a "best effort" of your choosing.

Also did we really burn gas for 10.5 hours on Saturday? Geez!

15. heh-

heh- curses.

Please tell me this is really a thing.

16. Mister_Tad

I keep thinking I should do this at some point as well, just not sure what system I'd use... my ~£30 month alarm sub made sense for a time, but now makes less sense.
    Of course, considering the cost of the hardware to re-do everything, not a quick ROI.

I am interested to see where Ubiquiti go with the Unifi Protect product... the name seems to suggest expansion to more than just CCTV, and they've all but abandoned the mFi sensors.

17. jinq-sea

My concern with ditching the insurance-approved monitored alarm? The replacement not being insurance approved, I spose.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

That's also my issue with smart locks. Admittedly, because I take my families security v. seriously, I've not read into them a lot; however, I should imagine that insurance companies have many caveats and get out clauses when it comes to smart locks, given their infancy.

jinq-sea likes this.
  19. jinq-sea

This is it, I have my approved 'real' door locks too, which I know satisfy the requirements of my insurer. I'd have to make damn sure, if I were to change to something 'smart', that they wouldn't invalidate my cover. I've been burgled before, and it was hellish. The insurer was brilliant though, which made it a lot more bearable. I suspect if they weren't decent about it, it would have made an already stressful time considerably worse.

20. Mister_Tad

This is a good point, however in my case the alarm doesn't affect my policy.

I'm definitely not ready for smart locks yet, though, whether or not my insurer is.